Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dillyz

Got my backers items today

Got my backers items today, im glad it was all packaged nice and safely...what im not happy with

is the the poster.

when i backed the game for over 100 dollars i thought the poster was going to be of the game, not the company logo which i find pretty ugly..

once they started showing us the updates i just hoped they would send something better. Unfortunately i was wrong, whilst i enjoy the t-shirt and its completely simple design, i was looking forward to a poster i could enjoy looking at of a game i invested in. The poster i got is of a company logo which really anyone could print out.

They confirmed what the poster was going to look like near the end of the Kickstarter campaign (check update 4 on the DFA Kickstarter page if you want to see what I'm talking about), so the poster design shouldn't have been a surprise.

unfortunately not all of us could keep up to date with every update.

i was just sold on the high quality poster of the game i was promised and the posted delivered just seems like a cop out, i love double fine and everything they do but thought this was a bit cheap on those who supported so strongly for a game they knew nothing about

They said nowhere that the poster was going to have art from the game, and the video showing off the poster design was right on the front page of the Kickstarter. It's not really their fault that the poster didn't live up to your expectations when they had put all the information you would have needed in an easy to find place.

sorry i guess i wasn't to pleased with the laziness in the poster after i have them over 100 dollars for a game more than likely released for $10

if i had of seen the poster earlier i would of voiced my complaints immeadiately

sorry i guess i wasn't to pleased with the laziness in the poster after i have them over 100 dollars for a game more than likely released for $10

if i had of seen the poster earlier i would of voiced my complaints immeadiately

Well, I can understand you are disappointed, but it's not that they pitched a majestic engraved silver plates and then decided to print some random sketches on toilet paper... I'm sure the poster is high quality, it is original painting by Bagel, so it's unfair to talk about laziness.

I understand you were hoping for something else but since there were no reasons for that, try to cheer up.

Yeah, it's a shame it didn't meet your expectations, but there was no reason this should have come as a surprise to you - and I fail to see what is 'lazy' about their choice of poster. Indeed, in the latest video you can see them carefully poring over small details regarding the poster.

Also, this is clearly a nit-pick but... well, the "company logo" is different from the "Double Fine Adventure version of the Company Logo" so... the poster is "game specific" at least.

logo.png

photo-full.jpg?1328745699

note scarf and adventure goggles.

The poster is an original painting by Nathan "Bagel" Stapley! That isn't going to make you like it aesthetically, of course, but it definitely isn't a simple printout of an existing logo, and it definitely wasn't put together lazily.

I do have to agree with dillyz, I have been also dissapointed when I figured out the truth about the poster.

I too have been expecting a poster inspired by the final game. But I pledged the 110 bucks to be part of something special

and to get the old-school boxed version of the game. But yes, this poster will never see daylight, no matter who painted it.

i understand it was painted by a professional but really, i dont want to take away from doublefine ill repeat i LOVE every game you have ever made and own them all legit and will continue too, but who couldnt paint that? an existing logo with some red and yellow bars?

i guess i just expected something more unique for the money i paid. I wanted something to symbolize the game i invested in, so far nothing i received even points to this project really.

How hard would it of been to delay the shipments (i doubt anyone would of cared as the game is the prize) and make a painting of eg; the lead characters? or even the tshirt have the game title or logo on it?

i guess i just expected more from how much the company relied on its fans.

Some of us are sad that we missed the chance to pledge, but here you are complaining about your free gift. It should be called a free gift, because you donated to the game, not the purchase of goods (or did you?).

i guess my major complaint is just the fact the poster and merchandise just has nothing to do with the game besides some writing which really takes away from the painting

DOUBLE FINE

ADVENTURE

it feels rushed.

ill gladly send them $50 more if they send me an equal quality print of the game with its lead character and a background.

There cost to do that is probably 5 minutes in photoshop after the characters are created and the paper its printed on.

as thats what i expected and i want to continue to see good things come from this company, i still to this day play DOTT and MI over and over again, i have them on my phone via SCUMMVM and have the boxes still on my shelves and will have them till i die. I even enjoyed Brutal Legend (lol)

Some of us are sad that we missed the chance to pledge, but here you are complaining about your free gift. It should be called a free gift, because you donated to the game, not the purchase of goods (or did you?).

i was donating for the game, but then when i saw that i could get a t-shirt, and a cool poster i thought they deserved my money so i pledged higher.

i wont lie, i pledged higher for the rewards as i assumed they would be awesome.

the only people who pledged higher who didn't care about the awards have A LOT more money than i do, or are lying.

...? The poster and merchandise has everything to do with the game, seeing as it is the only image for the game. I am confused as to why you think it has nothing to do with DFA? The logo is a specialized one just for this game I thought.

the image will most likely be used at the loading screen for the main menu.

that's about it's connection to the game id say.

I can see your point dillyz, but it's all a matter of perspective. I like the poster because it portrays the adventure babies going ON an adventure. It symbolizes the rest of us who took that leap of faith in Double Fine and on this adventure game. I'm sorry the poster failed to meet your expectations but I am certain that the box art WILL reflect the final product, which will reveal itself unto us AND Double Fine as development continues.

I think it was clear this was the poster. They customize the logo for each DF game, so the image is unique to the game.

It's quite impossible for you to get a poster with the characters now. Even if there is something about the characters in the works they didn't show it yet so they certainly couldn't have time to print such a poster.

Besides, it's a baby, who doesn't love babies? :)

Oh, bugger, I forgot the stuff was even shipped out. Need to stop by my post office tomorrow....

When it was revealed that the Adventure Babies would be used for the poster, I was surprised, too. I was thinking it was going to the the box art for the game. However, I grew to love the idea of the Adventure Babies being printed for the poster. I'm excited that my poster shipped out yesterday. I wonder if 2 Player Productions is going to release a video of Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer sitting down autographing everything...

I don't think there was anything misleading about the available information. Any disappointment in this case can only have come from erroneous assumptions on our part. Personally I love the painting, and can't wait for the poster to arrive so I can put it up next to my Yellow Submarine one.

When I found out, that the poster was to be the Advebture Babies logo of Double Fine, I was as well pretty surprised. Not that I pledged to get the poster myself, as I didn't care for any additionals, but I thought it would have made more sense to choose the poster art after the game design had started and use directly game related art for the poster.

I doubt it had killed people who paid for the poster to wait for it to be delivered with the real game box.

...but who couldnt paint that? an existing logo with some red and yellow bars?

As someone who regularly paints digitally and makes artworks, I can assure you, that painting is NOT as simple as it looks like. The careful selection of the hue and value is not just "red and yellow". The painted effect is very hard to get, especially if this was done digitally.

Also, I don't see how you can think that the poster would be about the game when they are still in the pre-viz stage, if at that.

i thought i made it clear when i said i was happy to wait till there was art :)

The designs for the new game aren't even finalized yet... they are probably still in conception... and these posters would have had to have been created weeks ago to be printed and shipped to you. How could you possibly get a poster for a new game which hasn't even been created yet? No offense... but... you gotta use some logic there.

Well, I can understand you are disappointed, but it's not that they pitched a majestic engraved silver plates and then decided to print some random sketches on toilet paper... I'm sure the poster is high quality, it is original painting by Bagel, so it's unfair to talk about laziness.

I understand you were hoping for something else but since there were no reasons for that, try to cheer up.

/agree

Its definitely better than a concept sketch by Tim of two stick figures sitting back to back on a "tree". I personally like the poster for its overall design and the bragging rights it gives lol. But Ill take the poster for all its worth and id even buy another poster when the game becomes more developed. My hopes is that its something like Tim's sketch, the two main characters sitting back to back in a beautifully rendered scene. Having both those posters next to each other on my wall would certainly be worth more than just bragging rights.

Sign in to follow this