Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dillyz

Got my backers items today

Yeah Bagel does a great job but I couldn't understand why they wanted to send these things out so fast. Mailing goods out and get it over with. I would gladly wait many more months to get a poster of whatever is going to be on the front of the classic PC Box. Which undoubtedly is probably going to look amazing.

Hi there! Glad to see that people are getting their rewards now and enjoying them! I especially like seeing all the pictures. More pictures! :)

Let's talk about the posters for a minute. It seems like some people expected the poster to be something more like a reproduction of the final box art--whatever that turns out to be--and I just want to say that I can totally understand that assumption. It's reasonable, of course. And if anybody is really unhappy, (or would, inexplicably, rather have something created "in 5 minutes in photoshop" as one person asked) then we'd be more than happy to refund your money, no hard feelings!

But first I'd like to explain the thought process that lead to the creation of this limited edition poster.

We make posters for some of our games (Psychonauts, Brütal Legend, and now Stacking) and sell them in our company store. Some times, like for Psychonauts, the poster is basically the box cover. Other times, like for Stacking, we do something special. So when Reds is done and ships, it's highly likely that we will make a poster for it and sell it in the company store too. And something that looks like the box cover is a natural choice. We don't know for certain--that conversation is months away. But the "key art" for the game will probably be widely reproduced, reused, and common by the time the game ships.

So given that the final game and that box cover image are going to be public and available to everybody, how do we make something special and unique for the backers? True, we could take that key art and alter the composition slightly in Photoshop and print it on thicker paper stock to make it "unique." But remember, we were deciding all of this in the middle of our active Kickstarter project. To me the question was, and is, what is really the event here? What is the special thing that these people are part of, that belongs to them, and how do we represent that?

To figure that out, I had to wonder: What was universal across all the backers? People backed for different reasons, after all. Some people loved adventure games, some loved Double Fine, some just cared about the documentary, others just wanted to make a statement about the games industry. The only real universal was the experience of backing the game, of being there for that crazy rocket ride through all of the crowd funding record books, making news and having an impact on the industry--that was a moment unique to the backers, and that was the moment I chose to commemorate.

I really wanted an original painting by Nathan Stapely, featuring the special, goggle-wearing "Adventure babies" he created just for this project. Because When you went to our Kickstarter page it was the first thing you saw. Every Kickstarter widget and facebook mention, any reference to the project that popped up usually had those babies flying off into adventure. It was the image that represented this really awesome thing that was going on and that you all so generously made yourselves part of.

So that's why I picked it, and that's why I love it.

I hope you do to. But if you don't, like I said, happy to refund, no hard feelings.

I appreciate the explanation, i am not after a refund as like i said i was happy to support the games as i love all your games. The poster just seemed rushed, id have preferred to have waited till release and got something "Special" then whether it was this artists take on the main characters or something. I don't think the logo with the goggles would of looked as amazing as something taken from the game and original art piece etc.

EDIT: im in the process of framing the poster as like you said its a one of a kind thing, i just don't like the fact that i know it could of been a lot better.

So when Reds is done and ships, it's highly likely that we will make a poster for it and sell it in the company store too.

Awesome, I was curious about that. :D

So given that the final game and that box cover image are going to be public and available to everybody, how do we make something special and unique for the backers? True, we could take that key art and alter the composition slightly in Photoshop and print it on thicker paper stock to make it "unique." But remember, we were deciding all of this in the middle of our active Kickstarter project. To me the question was, and is, what is really the event here? What is the special thing that these people are part of, that belongs to them, and how do we represent that?

Thanks for clearing up the thought process behind not using designs from the game for the poster. I really like the idea that this poster is special and I think it captors the moment perfectly. Cant wait for it to arrive!

If anyone saw Episode 3 that 2 Player Productions put up, you'd see that there was a lot of attention brought to the poster; to make sure that we, the backers, were getting the best product possible. That is enough for me to be thoroughly happy with my poster that I received. If you wanted a different poster, i.e. one of the final box art of the game, one will be created and put on the store. Since the OP loves to support Double Fine so much, maybe (s)he will be content purchasing another (signed?) poster when it releases.

im in the process of framing the poster as like you said its a one of a kind thing, i just don't like the fact that i know it could of been a lot better.

Can't say I hold any hard feelings towards yah man and I can see what you mean about its resemblance to the logo but your version of better, if you do intend a box art reproduction as that, sounds too bland and boring to me. This design though is the exact same as the one featured in all of the DFA episodes. I look forward to being able to show some friends of mine an episode or two of it on the blue ray, point after the show's done to my framed DFA poster, and say "Yah, it's the same as in the documentary." The geek cred speaks for itself man and is something I just couldn't do with a reproduction of the box art.

I look forward to seeing photos of your posters and shirts guys. The people who will never get them want to look at your photos while they cry. :vampire:

Hey, thanks! The poster even came with a little pin, which is found near the top-right, too.

No, Psychonauts isn't sealed. That's just some shrink wrap stuck to the top there that I never peeled off.

Hey, thanks! The poster even came with a little pin, which is found near the top-right, too.

No, Psychonauts isn't sealed. That's just some shrink wrap stuck to the top there that I never peeled off.

The pin looks pretty awesome. You also had me fooled with the shrink wrap! Would have been like 100x cooler, but still the best Double Fine collection I have personally seen.

I've got my backers pack few days ago (Germany), wore the shirt yesterday, and it felt good :-).

Not only that it is made of very nice fabric - it looks damn good! The steel grey color and the decent prints do a good contrast. I like it very much! And to be honest, I didn't even unpacked the poster, the pin etc. yet.. The shirt is what I was looking forward to the most, and it definitely did meet my expectations. Well done!

Cya

Aah! Why'd you have to tell me people were recieving these already! Now I'm excited.

I need to go hide in the mailbox until the mailman comes now.

Aah! Why'd you have to tell me people were recieving these already! Now I'm excited.

I need to go hide in the mailbox until the mailman comes now.

This may be a bit off topic, but assuming you live in the US, what would be a reasonable time to wait for the t-shirt and poster? I haven't received either so far. I am anxiously waiting for both, and am a bit worried about it getting lost in the mail. I'll gladly wait a month or so!

This may be a bit off topic, but assuming you live in the US, what would be a reasonable time to wait for the t-shirt and poster? I haven't received either so far. I am anxiously waiting for both, and am a bit worried about it getting lost in the mail. I'll gladly wait a month or so!

Couple weeks, just relax :)

Check out these

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/7287/P50/#231689

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/7287/P100/#232489

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/7287/P100/#232690

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/7287/P125/#233002

Couple weeks, just relax :)

Check out these

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/7287/P50/#231689

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/7287/P100/#232489

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/7287/P100/#232690

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/7287/P125/#233002

Sign in to follow this