Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PKGamerOmega

Underrated games discussion

I'm really into unknown video games, for example, my most favorite games ever made are Earthbound and Mother 3, two games most people know nothing about except Ness and Lucas, and after posting a review of someone who reviews underrated games on the Youtube thread, it got me thinking about putting up a topic about hidden gems.

So, in this thread, talk about some underrated games you like, excluding Tim Schafer games. I'd really like to see what games people write about, hopefully a ton of good ones I haven't ever heard of.

Yesterday. How much stuff have I found online about this game? Well, it took legitimate effort for me to find a video of the game's main theme. And yet the game its self isn't brilliant, but it's still really damn good. Not to mention it was that particular dev's first attempt at a serious game.

Arcanum was an excellent top down RPG back in the day with lots of customization for your character. Was overlooked by many.

What consoles are you wanting? Overlooked games are a bit of a speciality of mine. Only problem is I play a mountain of rubbish in the process of finding the good stuff ;)

Some notables for PS1:

No one can stop Mr Domino - a fantastic game where you play a domino who runs round a track dropping dominoes. On the second and third runs around the track you can push over previously laid dominoes to create chain reactions. You have to make sure your character avoids obstacles, and the line of dominoes you're placing avoids obstacles. The chain reaction "start" and "end" points are all clearly labelled, but working your way into the right position will take practice. Lots of fun animations and crazy ideas on display here, such as a domino knocking over some miracle grow fertiliser, which makes a plant grow up out of nowhere and hit the next domino. It's a criminally overlooked game.

Incredible Crisis - The actual gameplay here is pretty varied and basic. Essentially it's just a load of minigames with fairly simple instructions. If you're doing badly on a minigame, your character gets stressed and starts screaming. What makes this game great is the humour and the story. You play as 4 members of a family trying to get back home in time for grandma's birthday, but wild things happen to each one of them - armed robberies, attempted assassinations, shrinking rays, alien invasions, you get the idea. Each character's story overlaps with the other characters, and if you play this on a real ps1, the second controller can adjust things like head size and other wackiness.

The Italian Job - I don't generally like car games, but this one takes the most fun aspects of them by focusing almost entirely on stunts. There are multiple modes, including a story mode which roughly follows the plot of the original film. You get to play as a variety of different cars, and most of the activities take place in a city set-up which is designed really well to maximise short-cuts and stunts. The only negative is that there are far too many buses on the road. It's supposed to be London, but these get in the way. You'll have a tough time running this on an emulator too. The game only allows driving with the analogue sticks.

Team Buddies - This is fabulous. You play as these pill-shaped characters and use bricks to build tanks, weapons, and new characters, depending on how many bricks you use and the shape you use them in (sort of like minecraft?) You can flick between team members and order other members around. Usually the aim is to obliterate the other team, but there are other aims too. What makes this wonderful is the humour. The characters are like ridiculously aggressive children, and the weaponry is insanely powerful. An intro to one level reads "You had arranged to meet your friends for a picnic lunch in the local park. Unfortunately, instead of bringing a hamper, they brought heavy artillery..."

I can recommend a few for other consoles if you want, but I've always been a PS1 guy :)

SNES is my platform of choice and the console I grew up on, so here's some SNES games for ya'll to try, if you have the means:

Terranigma (SNES) - One of the greatest action RPGs I have ever played in my life. The SNES era RPGs (e.g., Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger) were very good about creating a world that starts out feeling small and then starts to feel bigger and bigger as you go along, but Terranigma reins supreme at this technique. Much like Okami, the world starts barren, and it is your job to restore it. First you must restore the landscape, then you must restore creatures, then you must restore mankind. Once mankind is restored, you must guide mankind to prosperity. In the final chapters of the game, you actually find yourself engaging in some very slight sim gameplay as you guide different towns around the world toward 100% economic prosperity. If you have a way to play SNES games and you've never played Terranigma, DOOOO EEEET.

Bahamut Lagoon (SNES) - Tactial RPG meets a pet simulator. This tactical RPG starts you off with some baby dragons on your team, and through the game you have to feed them items and equipment you win in battle to boost their stats and turn them into all sorts of incredible beasts, ranging from fearsome nightmare dragons to statuesque divine dragons. And the health/abilities of your dragons affects what the rest of your squads can do! I wouldn't recommend it without gamefaqs open, because raising your dragons blindly can lead to some pretty crap dragons that make the game no fun in a hurry. (One way the game fails.) But if you have a guide to help you raise the kinds of dragons you want, it can be a pretty good time.

Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon: Another Story (SNES) - That's right, fellas, I said Sailor Moon. If you can be secure enough in your masculinity to try it out, this game has a really cool combat gimmick going in its favor in addition to not being a very bad RPG otherwise. As you play the game, you get access to more and more of the Sailor Moon soldiers, and you can have up to five of them arranged in your party at a time. In combat, you can either give each girl an individual command, or you can do team attacks. Unlocking new team attacks becomes one of the draws of the game, much as it was in Chrono Trigger. But since you have FIVE girls in your party, this can be more interesting than Chrono Trigger in terms of the choices you make in this regard. You could arrange two Double Team attacks and give the final girl an individual command. You could arrange one Triple Team attack and one Double Team attack. You could arrange one Quadruple Attack and one individual command. Or you could go all in and have all five girls do a single powerful attack. (Assuming you have the mana for it.) On top of this, the game also lets you choose from a variety of battle formations that have advantages and disadvantages. It's a great combat system! Worth checking out.

Wild Guns (SNES) - This one is really hard to explain. It's essentially an old school shooting game where it is your job to shoot all of the bad guys as they pop out of windows or pop out from behind pieces of the environment while at the same time not shooting any innocents, etc. This game is unique, though, because you are actually moving the crosshair with your directional controls and your avatar just moves toward the crosshair. But it feels like you're controlling both your avatar AND the crosshair with a single directional input. It gets really fun the moment you realize you're not just shooting stuff with a crosshair, but also performing dodge rolls through waves of bullets, or using your gun like a baseball bat on enemies that get too close. It's sort of hard to explain in words. Here is a video instead:

Not sure if this is the only one but it's one I can think that's not mentioned.

Little King Story (Wii) [not the Vita version cuz Konami basically made it mainstream, in Japanese terms at least] was a well made collaborative project. Unique bosses (what game has boss fights that quizzes you on geology or you fight by playing Breakout?), wacky, adorable characters characters and a boggling plot twist. Unfortunately marketed as a "family" game even though it brings some questionable issues (a.k.a polygamy).

You know what my favorite game in the Legend of Zelda series is? It's not Ocarina of Time. Nope. It's Majora's Mask. I have so much sympathy for that game. Everybody overlooked it (or worse, dismissed it) becuase it had the misfortune of being the next Zelda game released after Ocarina of Time. But in all honesty, I think it's just as good, if not better. It's a pseudo-sequel to Ocarina of Time, and the story is probably the darkest one in a Zelda game yet. The characters are, for the most part (cough*TINGLE*cough), not annoying, the individual stories going on around the land are full of emotion, and the gameplay, using various quirky masks, is entertaining and unique. There's only four dungeons, but all four are lengthy and well thought out. Seriously, if you want Zelda action with an actually gripping story, play Majora's Mask. But I digress!

You know what my favorite game in the Legend of Zelda series is? It's not Ocarina of Time. Nope. It's Majora's Mask. I have so much sympathy for that game. Everybody overlooked it (or worse, dismissed it) becuase it had the misfortune of being the next Zelda game released after Ocarina of Time. But in all honesty, I think it's just as good, if not better. It's a pseudo-sequel to Ocarina of Time, and the story is probably the darkest one in a Zelda game yet. The characters are, for the most part (cough*TINGLE*cough), not annoying, the individual stories going on around the land are full of emotion, and the gameplay, using various quirky masks, is entertaining and unique. There's only four dungeons, but all four are lengthy and well thought out. Seriously, if you want Zelda action with an actually gripping story, play Majora's Mask. But I digress!

It was a really glitchy game, and I think it got dismissed mostly BECAUSE it wasn't a direct sequel to OoT. It's like people didn't know if it was a *real* Zelda game then or something.

I don't know. MM and OoT are two very different kinds of games and I like them both for very different reasons. I wouldn't say that one was better than the other just because it's comparing apples to oranges, but Majora's Mask was very very good.

Out of all the various attempts at a *dark zelda*, in what other Zelda game do you get to play as THIS:

fierce_deity_link.jpg

Awwwwwwww yeah.

I'm actually in the process of playing Majora's Mask for the first time and I have absolutely fallen in love with this game. There's just something incredibly intriguing about the world, characters and sense of dread over your head the entire time with the moon hanging over Termina. It really puts a realistic spin on things to have the three day time limit and creates a feeling of responsibility to the people around you in the game, and I've found that really neat. I also find the characters in the game very three dimensional and relatable, which I enjoy.

While we're on this topic though, has anyone else heard of the Majora Opera project?

That being said though... Oh man, I know a buttload of great games that were/are overlooked. Gonna try and type up a post for later!

Whoa, an opera project?! That's cool. It really is amazing how dedicated and creative some fanbases can be. Like us!

I know that Majora's Mask was a really glitchy game, but then again, so was Ocarina of Time. It had some of the most well-known glitches in video games, like Swordless Link and the Fairy Fountain warping glitches. Some glitches were annoying, but a lot of them gave both games charm and a sense of mysterious wonder. I didn't mean to sound like I hated Ocarina of Time. I love it almost as much. I just want some more love for MM.

A great underrated Genesis game is Dynamite Heady by Treasure. Treasure is a company most well known for making Gunstar Heroes and Ikaruga, but the rest of their games usually end up being unknown, fun games with the classic Treasure difficulty (they were part of Konami before forming after all,) and Dynamite Heady is no different. It's a 2D platformer where the main character Dynamite Heady can extend his head in all eight directions to hit enemies and to grab on to platforms, but can get different heads that have different abilities, such as a hammer that deals more damage and a head that makes you move faster. It's also super weird, the only kind of weird that Japanese people could do. It's a fun challenging game that I recommend.

I don't think these games are very underrated, but as long as Earthbound is considered a much, I assume you've not heard of one or two of these:

hVol9.jpg

-- one of my favorite games. it's super abstract and bizarre, but if you try to wrap your head around it, it has a lot more to say than a lot of people give it credit for.

--

jqQxR.jpg

Gravity Bone -- a game everyone who owns a PC should play, and needs to play, and has no excuse not to play. it's 15~20 minutes long, free, and infinitely more interesting than the majority of games.

--

275C2.jpg

-- a really unique adventure game with graphics made entirely out of clay. it does a really good job of creating a really surreal, bizarre atmosphere. also has an unforgettable soundtrack.

--

I have more but I am lazy

I've been meaning to play some Suda51 games and I've heard great things about Killer7, but I've also heard about how bad the actual gameplay is, though I'm sure I'll play eventually, but if there's any Suda game I want to play, it's Contact for the DS.

Also, The Neverhood, I've been meaning to play that and its sequel Skullmonkeys as well, the only problem is those games aren't that common, but Doug Tenapel, WHY'D YOU HAVE TO LEAVE US!?!?

I think Saints Row: The Third is a somewhat underrated game. Everyone I've met on Xbox Live that has never played it refuses to play I because they say it is a knockoff of Grand Theft Auto. I disagree because it is very different; anyone who has not yet played it should definitely try it.

Really? I thought it was quite popular, I never knew people wrote it off as a rip-off so much, it's a shame too, it isn't a rip-off, it's even crazier than Grand Theft Auto and is so much fun to play because of over-the-top and crazy it is, I mean, does Grand Theft Auto let you use a Mega Man-like laser arm cannon?

I've been meaning to play some Suda51 games and I've heard great things about Killer7, but I've also heard about how bad the actual gameplay is, though I'm sure I'll play eventually, but if there's any Suda game I want to play, it's Contact for the DS.

Also, The Neverhood, I've been meaning to play that and its sequel Skullmonkeys as well, the only problem is those games aren't that common, but Doug Tenapel, WHY'D YOU HAVE TO LEAVE US!?!?

killer7 isn't really something you play for the gameplay, it's more about the narrative and experience. Suda had no involvement in Contact, btw.

you should definitely look into TenNapel's graphic novels if you like his other stuff.

but if anything, you need to play Gravity Bone.

Suda supervised and produced Contact though, but is Killer7's gameplay at least tolerable enough to get through completely? Also, thanks for talking about Gravity Bone, that was great, I can not wait for the sequel.

I think Saints Row: The Third is a somewhat underrated game. Everyone I've met on Xbox Live that has never played it refuses to play I because they say it is a knockoff of Grand Theft Auto. I disagree because it is very different; anyone who has not yet played it should definitely try it.

Really? I thought it was quite popular, I never knew people wrote it off as a rip-off so much, it's a shame too, it isn't a rip-off, it's even crazier than Grand Theft Auto and is so much fun to play because of over-the-top and crazy it is, I mean, does Grand Theft Auto let you use a Mega Man-like laser arm cannon?

I guess it is a popular game among some but I think it is better then GTA and people seem to not play it as much as I expected them to.

Actually Saint Row the Third isn't that good. I loved both SR1 and 2, SR3 howver was a letdown. Fun nonetheless but not quite as epic.

Urban Reign was the best action brawler I've ever played. For PS2.

It was seriously underrated and I don't think many have heard of it. Has an excellent counter system that makes brawling multiple enemies a ton of fun, and while difficult to master, once you become really, really good at it, it's one of the best experiences I've ever had.

Naughty Bear: You're playing as a bear who's been bullied by other bears, taking revenge. There was a little bit of markieting for it, the game didn't do too well.

gQWAxgPR0yU

3D DOT Game Heroes:It's practically oldskool Zelda with a custom hero. The gameplay feels rather lacking at times because there's barely anything new in it. 3D DOT Game Heroes is all about the 80

The follow games are, at least in my community, quite underrated. I realize that among the entire population of gamers, some of them are probably quite well known.

Machinarium

Simply put, I love point-and-click games and their pace of gameplay. Machinarium has breathtaking artwork, thoughtful level design, and plenty of fun puzzles to solve.

The Dream Machine

Another point-and-click adventure title. As you can probably already tell, I enjoy this kind of game. This one, however, takes an even more interesting approach on art. All of it's done in clay and cardboard, and the end result is really something different.

Sims Theme Park

This one's in the PSOne classics section of the PSN store, so maybe it's more popular than I thought. I used to play this game for hours when I was a kid, and I absolutely loved the idea of being able to build my very own theme park.

My explantions are brief and there are plenty of other hidden hems that I haven't mentioned, but I will continue to edit and add to this post when new things come to mind.

Sign in to follow this