Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PKGamerOmega

Underrated games discussion

Was Sumotori Dreams intended to be as hilarious as it is?

I have mentioned it in other threads, but again - Rock of Ages

ItΒ΄s Marble Madness + tower defence + monty python.

You have an interesting way of describing things. I'm considering purchasing this, since it's supposedly a combination of

Marble Madness + tower defence + monty python.

This game couldn't sound more appealing. I honestly hope this gets put on sale a second time.

Don't know if it's underrated. But The Sandbox is an iOS game that's a lot of fun. You play an apprentice god and make stuff in the game. It reminds of me of like Doodle God meets MS Paint it's fun and it's free. Though the develop has a currency system which slows progress through the game unless you're willing to pay for more points. But you get more points everyday so it's not so bad if you're okay with going a little slower.

Also Synesthetic. Also iOS it's a kind of trippy action game where you glide along on this 3D tube dodging stuff. But the big cool catch is that you generate levels by selecting songs from your iTunes Library, the game then plays the song while you move through the level, it's cool because your pace changes with the tempo so it's got an addictive musicality you normally only associate with Rhythm games. It's a very simple game but addictive in it's twitch gameplay, trippy aesthetic and the grin-inducing way it uses your own music to create gameplay, highly recommend it.

EDIT: More Synesthetic praise. I have to say this is the most fun I've ever had with my iPod Touch. I'm not sure if I calling this thing a game is doing to justice. It's more like a Joy Machine.

Spacestation Silicon Valley

The game starts out with the two main characters, EVO and his human friend, crashing onto a hostile planet/spacestation called 'Silicon Valley', which was apparently an experiment to place artificial intelligence into robotic animals that went haywire and the animals ended up turning on their scientist creators and destroying them. The two main characters were advertised as 'heroes for hire' and sent to take control of the space station. Really, it's sort of a goofier Jurassic Park concept, when you think about it.

In the beginning intro of the game, a robotic dog is killed in the crash, and EVO, now being a microchip without a body, hops into the corpse of the dead dog and takes control-- And that's where the game begins.

So basically, you go through the game killing and taking the forms of various animals across the world in order to complete your objectives and finally get your body back. A few examples of the crazy animals you get to play as are: A fox on wheels, a rat that can drop explosive poop, a polar bear tank (that shoots cannonballs) and a wolf on ski's. And that's just one of the many ridiculous animals on the space station.

The difficult part was always actually KILLING the animals so you could take their form, since some of them were especially hard to take down and you literally had to sneak up on them half the time, or else they'd spot you and kill you first.

Anyway, I always thought it was a pretty fun concept and one I'd love to see redone and made better someday. The game was unfortunately, full of glitches and flaws and could've been so much more than it was.

Does anyone here like Unreal II: The Awakening? No one I know played it yet I still think it was one of the better FPS's I ever played. Maybe I'm a sucker for story-driven games, and seeing a decent story in an FPS made me like it more than I should have, but it always seemed weird to me that this game is so unknown (what with being the sequel to Unreal, and the last single player Unreal game as well).

Spacestation Silicon Valley

Agreed. That thing was hilarious too. Whenever you entered a new animal it would list their stats like they're some amazing technology. I remember laughing so much at "sheep. intelligence: low, speed: low, strength: low, primary attack: baa"

To be honest, i didn't like Rock of Ages that much, the cut scenes are really funny, but i find the gameplay repetitive and boring.

I like to throw into the ring: Syberia! Sweet story, fun riddles, stiff but memorable characters, and the beautifully drawn background and the nice music painted a wonderful picture. Massively down ranked because of minor errors like long distances to walk. Germany's most popular games magazine gave it a 59 back then.

War of the Monsters - It was a PS2 game about giant monsters beating the crap out of each other and destroying cities in the process. You could pick up cars, debris, and anything else that wasn't nailed down and even drop buildings on the other monsters. I have no idea why people didn't play it.

King of the Monsters 2 - (Yes, I really like giant monsters.) This was a SNES beat em up that I never hear about. More people need to play this. I mean c'mon people! It has a giant tucking robot gorilla, for Christ's sake! What more do you want!?

Aquanaut's Holiday - I only played this in a rental, but it was awesome. You explored the ocean in a tiny sub and built a coral reef. It was kind of like Minecraft without the enemies.

To be honest, i didn't like Rock of Ages that much, the cut scenes are really funny, but i find the gameplay repetitive and boring.

I like to throw into the ring: Syberia! Sweet story, fun riddles, stiff but memorable characters, and the beautifully drawn background and the nice music painted a wonderful picture. Massively down ranked because of minor errors like long distances to walk. Germany's most popular games magazine gave it a 59 back then.

Syberia is fantastic. Definitely one of the most underrated point&click; adventures. And the OST is indeed fantastic.

Sign in to follow this