Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anemone

Majora's Mask Is Seriously Awesome

Continued from the underrated games thread. It appears we have a handful of Majora's Mask players on the forum, so why not create a thread about why Majora's Mask is great.

I'm gonna reply to Koco's post from the other thread:

I'm actually in the process of playing Majora's Mask for the first time and I have absolutely fallen in love with this game. There's just something incredibly intriguing about the world, characters and sense of dread over your head the entire time with the moon hanging over Termina. It really puts a realistic spin on things to have the three day time limit and creates a feeling of responsibility to the people around you in the game, and I've found that really neat. I also find the characters in the game very three dimensional and relatable, which I enjoy.

I like what you mention about the people, and I agree that it's one of the most charming aspects of the game. When you play an Elder Scrolls game or something, the world is populated with all kinds of NPCs, but they're very bland people. If you follow any one of them, they just kind of wander around aimlessly not doing much of anything and saying the same quotes over and over again. Sometimes they might sit on a bench for a while. Eventually they might even go to a house where they might go inside and sit on a bench or go to bed. But they all pretty much do that same set of actions. They're all very generic people. But the world of Majora's Mask is great because you get to know the town and the NPCs really intimately, and the repetition of the same three days really adds to that intimacy. You know that you can pick out a certain NPC on a certain day and follow them on the story of that day. You can choose to participate or you can just watch.

In other words, Majora's Mask allows you to pass the Plinkett test. If you've never watched the Red Letter Media review of the Star Wars prequels, then A) You're missing out big time, but also B) the Plinkett test is a single challenge posed to any character in any story: Describe this character without saying what they look like, what kind of costume they wore, or what their profession/role/purpose in the story is. A lot of characters in the Star Wars prequels fail this test miserably, as Plinkett so aptly demonstrated, but video game characters miserably fail this test left and right. Majora's Mask actually lets a lot of the NPCs (though not all) pass the Plinkett test, though, because you can follow an NPC around enough that you eventually know everything he or she is doing. Whereas you might see an NPC trotting down the street once or twice and think nothing of it, you eventually reach the point where you see the same NPC and think, "There he goes again, off to the bar for the night," or, "There goes Kafei again, off to mail his letter to Anju and go back into hiding". All of these NPCs are running around doing very specific things related to who they are as people.

Unlike NPCs in a game like Skyrim, which you know if you're not watching them they're just kinda wandering around... you know that even if you're not watching the NPCs in Majora's Mask, even if you're deep inside a dungeon fighting lizard monsters, you know that somewhere, at about this very time, Kafei is on his way to the mailbox to mail his letter to Anju and then run back to his hiding place...

No other game really lets you get to a know a town full of NPCs on quite that interesting a level. Very cool.

Good idea for a discussion, there's a lot to talk about in this game, just with talking about characters, like the guard that is invisible because of the stone mask, the Goron with the same name as Link, the Deku Butler, the Zora Band, the list just goes on and on.

Anemone, I tip my hard hat to you for making this thread! Yes, what I really enjoy in Majora's Mask is how it makes me feel like I really am part of the narrative. Almost every character in the game has their own unfolding story alongside yours, and that makes it feel so much more like a real, living world. You can tell what matters to these characters, what they want to do with their final days before the moon crashes and their lives are taken away. You feel for these characters. They don't just feel like tools to move the story forward, they are people with their own lives, and that makes you want to continue those lives. You want to reunite the two star-crossed lovers. You want to help the two hard-working rancher sisters. You want to destroy the evil that is going to rip it all away. It gives you the will to make sure that this world, this living and breathing world, gets to see the dawn of a new day.

...And, you get to change into a warrior god with sword beams. That helps.

Good idea for a discussion, there's a lot to talk about in this game, just with talking about characters, like the guard that is invisible because of the stone mask, the Goron with the same name as Link, the Deku Butler, the Zora Band, the list just goes on and on.

I loved the Zora guitar! All that time spent playing OoT and I never knew that Zoras were so hip and good-looking! They're like the elves of Zelda! At least according to MM anyway.

It did raise some questions about how they played electric guitar underwater, though...

Almost every character in the game has their own unfolding story alongside yours, and that makes it feel so much more like a real, living world. You can tell what matters to these characters, what they want to do with their final days before the moon crashes and their lives are taken away.

Yeah! That's exactly what I was trying to say, though you said it a little better with fewer words. =D

I can't even tell you how much I like Oni Link. I'm not even gay and I kinda want to be his boyfriend. I was a little disappointed that you couldn't use him wherever you wanted, though. It seems like after all the hard work you put into getting his mask and the fact that you've already beaten the game should mean that you should get to do whatever you want with it. Why the limitations? Ah well. SWORD BEAMS. *pkew! pkew!*

Favorite dungeons/missions?

I loved the Zora guitar! All that time spent playing OoT and I never knew that Zoras were so hip and good-looking! They're like the elves of Zelda! At least according to MM anyway.

It did raise some questions about how they played electric guitar underwater, though...

It also raised questions in how the instruments made ANY sound at all underwater, how the bassist's hair stayed down in water and didn't float around, and how the band knew songs from Zelda 1.

Continued from the underrated games thread. It appears we have a handful of Majora's Mask players on the forum, so why not create a thread about why Majora's Mask is great.

I'm gonna reply to Koco's post from the other thread:

I'm actually in the process of playing Majora's Mask for the first time and I have absolutely fallen in love with this game. There's just something incredibly intriguing about the world, characters and sense of dread over your head the entire time with the moon hanging over Termina. It really puts a realistic spin on things to have the three day time limit and creates a feeling of responsibility to the people around you in the game, and I've found that really neat. I also find the characters in the game very three dimensional and relatable, which I enjoy.

I like what you mention about the people, and I agree that it's one of the most charming aspects of the game. When you play an Elder Scrolls game or something, the world is populated with all kinds of NPCs, but they're very bland people. If you follow any one of them, they just kind of wander around aimlessly not doing much of anything and saying the same quotes over and over again. Sometimes they might sit on a bench for a while. Eventually they might even go to a house where they might go inside and sit on a bench or go to bed. But they all pretty much do that same set of actions. They're all very generic people. But the world of Majora's Mask is great because you get to know the town and the NPCs really intimately, and the repetition of the same three days really adds to that intimacy. You know that you can pick out a certain NPC on a certain day and follow them on the story of that day. You can choose to participate or you can just watch.

In other words, Majora's Mask allows you to pass the Plinkett test. If you've never watched the Red Letter Media review of the Star Wars prequels, then A) You're missing out big time, but also B) the Plinkett test is a single challenge posed to any character in any story: Describe this character without saying what they look like, what kind of costume they wore, or what their profession/role/purpose in the story is. A lot of characters in the Star Wars prequels fail this test miserably, as Plinkett so aptly demonstrated, but video game characters miserably fail this test left and right. Majora's Mask actually lets a lot of the NPCs (though not all) pass the Plinkett test, though, because you can follow an NPC around enough that you eventually know everything he or she is doing. Whereas you might see an NPC trotting down the street once or twice and think nothing of it, you eventually reach the point where you see the same NPC and think, "There he goes again, off to the bar for the night," or, "There goes Kafei again, off to mail his letter to Anju and go back into hiding". All of these NPCs are running around doing very specific things related to who they are as people.

Unlike NPCs in a game like Skyrim, which you know if you're not watching them they're just kinda wandering around... you know that even if you're not watching the NPCs in Majora's Mask, even if you're deep inside a dungeon fighting lizard monsters, you know that somewhere, at about this very time, Kafei is on his way to the mailbox to mail his letter to Anju and then run back to his hiding place...

No other game really lets you get to a know a town full of NPCs on quite that interesting a level. Very cool.

That aspect of the game giving huge personality to the town members really reminds me of how Mother 3 did the same, giving the residents of Tazmily Village personalities and making them memorable, maybe not as great as how Majora's Mask did it, but pretty close in my opinion.

Almost every character in the game has their own unfolding story alongside yours, and that makes it feel so much more like a real, living world. You can tell what matters to these characters, what they want to do with their final days before the moon crashes and their lives are taken away.

Yeah! That's exactly what I was trying to say, though you said it a little better with fewer words. =D

I can't even tell you how much I like Oni Link. I'm not even gay and I kinda want to be his boyfriend. I was a little disappointed that you couldn't use him wherever you wanted, though. It seems like after all the hard work you put into getting his mask and the fact that you've already beaten the game should mean that you should get to do whatever you want with it. Why the limitations? Ah well. SWORD BEAMS. *pkew! pkew!*

Favorite dungeons/missions?

There's a glitch to use the Fierce Deity mask outside of boss battles

Best mission is where you have to protect Romani Ranch from Them

1.There's actually a perfectly normal explanation for why the Zoras can play all their instruments underwater...MAGIC! :cheese:

2.I do enjoy saving the ranch from aliens, although I'm very creeped out by what happens when you fail...

3.My favorite mask? The bunny hood, hands down. I like to run around Termina Field shouting in my head, "BUNNY EARS LAWYER!"

Vv9j3-QgRr8

I love Majora's Mask. It's by far the most thematically interesting of the Zelda games, and it has so many cool mechanics which they layer over the core Zelda gameplay. Even now, it's one of the few games where if the player stays in one place, the world moves on without them... something which I've always thought was interesting.

Also, because it hasn't been posted here yet:

Even now, it's one of the few games where if the player stays in one place, the world moves on without them... something which I've always thought was interesting.

You know, even though that makes perfect sense and is totally obvious, I never really looked at it from that perspective before. That's definitely interesting. Hmm... now it's a challenge to see if I can think of any others.

My favorite mission was definitely protecting the ranch. Kafei and Anju was pretty good, too.

In regards to the world moving on without you, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is another example. Still, it is really cool, not something you see in most games. And I do like Majora's Mask the most out of all the LoZ games.

Always loved this game. Probably the only dark and most mature Zelda game out of the series (I do not count TP as the only "dark" bit in there was the Ilia clones laughing whilst Link has a creepy smile). I was surprised that it actually contained symbolism and whatnot (google "The Message of Majora's Mask"). You rarely see such depth in games. Either that or we're over-analysing games too much.

In addition to fighting Them, the entire Ikana area was memorable because the amount of history that surrounded that place, like an archeological dig.

I just read about the hidden messages in Majora's Mask. That was a really fascinating find. The whole game can almost be seen as having a sort of Christian perspective if you look at it that way, which I think is pretty cool and interesting. A Nintendo game with loads of hidden depth? Who knew?

Always loved this game. Probably the only dark and most mature Zelda game out of the series (I do not count TP as the only "dark" bit in there was the Ilia clones laughing whilst Link has a creepy smile). I was surprised that it actually contained symbolism and whatnot (google "The Message of Majora's Mask"). You rarely see such depth in games. Either that or we're over-analysing games too much.

I looked into it, but I wasn't that impressed by the analysis. A good analysis tries to find significance in the central conflict and the major themes. This analysis is entirely caught up in superficial and/or purely incidental information.

Here I'll analyze Psychonauts like he analyzes Majora's Mask:

Theory: The main character of Psychonauts is named Raz, short for Razputin, which is probably derived from the historical figure Grigori Rasputin, who was a Russian Orthodox Christian widely believed to have psychic and healing powers. Interestingly, the Tsarina who helped make Rasputin's name so famous believed that God spoke directly to her through Rasputin. This could mean that in Pyschonauts, Raz is a channel through which God speaks, thus explaining how he has so much more talent than the other children---because he is imbued with a divine power. I know it sounds crazy, but if you think about it, what is Coach Oleander's master plan? To steal the brains of all the children. This is a metaphor for inculcation, and Raz must help win their minds back to the light. Also, if you look at Raz's backpack, you'll see that he eventually earns patches for eight different psychic powers. That's an interesting number, because eight is exactly the number of days Jesus' disciples waited after Jesus was crucified before he appeared to them resurrected. Each patch is like one day before the messiah comes back to life (before Razputin's full potential comes to life!!!).

Reality: Tim knows a guy named Raz. He thought the name was pretty cool.

That's not to say Majora's Mask doesn't have interesting themes or any sort of symbolism, but I kinda feel like if I pointed this guy toward the statue of liberty and asked him to tell me what the significance was, he would start coming up with theories about what it means that she is made out of the same material as a penny or what it means that she is wearing sandals. I'm not sure he knows how to separate the wheat from the chaff, analysis-wise.

But over-analyzing things is fun! Even if you don't end up being right, it's fun to look at things from various perspectives and interpret what it means to them. It's why I love Clairvoyance so much in Psychonauts.

Anyhoo, does anybody here have favorite characters in the game? I think for me, it's a three-way tie between Tatl, Kafei, and the postman (THE REAL AMERICAN HERO!).

The Deku Butler, Groman (totally not Luigi by the way,) Romani, and the Zora Band are the best characters.

Yowzas! What's this? Majora's Mask has its own thread?

And after all these years I thought I was the only one who thought this was the best of the Zelda series!

:`)

= Awesome

Sad ending with the Deku Butler's son though..

And wish we got to see what's his face's face at the wedding in the end

My favorite characters in the game are no doubt Skull Kid and the Happy Mask Salesman. :]

Really did like the Deku Butler as well, though.

The soundtrack was one of my favorite aspects of the game. Those songs gave everything such a hauntingly beautiful atmosphere.

@Hug Dealer: True dat, man. The game is especially haunting when there's only a couple of hours left before doomsday.

As a child, I remember thinking Majora's Mask was a bit trickier than Ocarina of time. Both games had great gameplay, there's no doubt about that, but Majora's Mask definitely offered more in terms of variety. Does anyone here share similar feelings?

Sign in to follow this