Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DoubleFieps

OUYA - Android based "open" video game console Kickstarter

Die someone post this already? Couldn't find it so here we go:

A lot of you will probably know about this, but I thought it couldn't hurt to promote it a little to other backers:

OUYA Kickstarter

Hey, what about a DFA version for OUYA? I mean it can't be that hard, because they already want to make an Android mobile version, so just up the graphics and publish it on OUYA.

Why are you trying to post a reply?

You hate video games or what?

Go, back that project!

@DoubleFine:

If you read this and really decide to support OUYA (which would be super-awesome and totally in tone with your new indie-crowdfunding-attitude), why not inform your backers via Update about that (which would be legit, because it's a new platform that would be supported), so that even more of them can support OUYA?

I was going to back it until I saw it's only free to play. Call me a narrow-minded, fearful bigot, but f2p seems like it encourages sneaky business practices.

Then go ahead and back it - because I think you got it wrong:

They seam to mean with F2P: Every game must at least have a free demo version. How much a developer charges and if it is up-front or by DLC is up to the developer.

I'm pretty sure Mojang would not go for F2P as they even have forced Microsoft to accept their 20 Euros per game rule.

Yeah, the F2P only means that a component of the game needs to be free for customers. So in most cases this should mean a demo, but it will of course also mean those 'other' games with the micro transactions...

I'm pretty keen on following this. Don't really care about the 'hackable' aspect of it, but the idea of a reasonably cheap open source console does sound pretty cool.

I'm backing $10 for now, I'll think about upping it to the $119 (£77) later, when PAL compatibility is confirmed

I see three fundamental problems with OUYA:

1) With a Tegra processor as its core computing component it's nothing more than a smartphone designed to plug into your TV. Last I checked, most decent smartphones already do that. The only difference left is the controller. Being Tegra based, It's clear that it will never hold a candle to even the aging current generation consoles in terms of graphcis.

2) The gamestore for the system will be un-curated (much like the Android market). Prepare to be inundated with crap knockoffs and more shoddy, questionable ethics, freemium games than you can imagine!

3) Every game will be free to try + hackable = every game will be free. I don't expect to see ANY major game publishers adopting a console that supports that equation, let alone one that champions it as a selling point.

Now, I support the idea of another console on the market, especially one that has a goal of being easy to develop for. But this one is subtly trying to roll back technology 5 years to save money and seems not to be taking their role as a curator for their console's content seriously. Not what I want to support.

So stop and think before you throw money at it. The bandwagon is pretty crowded now anyways and if there was ever a product that needed to prove itself BEFORE you buy it, this is one!

Seth

Ijust saw this and find it pretty interesting, but I think the problem are "free" games, it would be much better if the games were sold but at low prices thanks to digital dowload.

This way instead we'll have a lot of freemium games/ pay to win which sucks.

I hope I'm wrong though

Ijust saw this and find it pretty interesting, but I think the problem are "free" games, it would be much better if the games were sold but at low prices thanks to digital dowload.

This way instead we'll have a lot of freemium games/ pay to win which sucks.

I hope I'm wrong though

It's not that. They kind of used the term free to play wrong. They say, it only means that each game must at least have a free demo version. If a game developer demands money up front, money for DLC or money at all is for the developer to decide. The marketplace seems to support all three models.

1) With a Tegra processor as its core computing component it's nothing more than a smartphone designed to plug into your TV. Last I checked, most decent smartphones already do that. The only difference left is the controller. Being Tegra based, It's clear that it will never hold a candle to even the aging current generation consoles in terms of graphcis.

The point is not to build another high end console. They try to devliver a unidifed platform combined with an easy to use OS and market place. Even if you plug a phone with HDMI support in your TV it's by far not the same thing: The phone's resolution has to be upscaled, the ratio doesn't match, you have no unified controller (there are some, but which small developers supports them, if they are not standarized?) and so forth.

I for one would love to have a simple open plattform which delivers good games from all kinds of developers. XBLX indie games kind of provide the same thing, but people have to fork out a lot more for the 360 and the developers don't have as much freedrom as OUYA is promising.

2) The gamestore for the system will be un-curated (much like the Android market). Prepare to be inundated with crap knockoffs and more shoddy, questionable ethics, freemium games than you can imagine!

Well, that is a true point. But it's also true for iOS and XBLX indie games: Tons of crappy games. It will be interesting to see, how they will try to cope with that. Perhaps there will be a bigger influence of the community in terms of rating games. Who knows...

3) Every game will be free to try + hackable = every game will be free. I don't expect to see ANY major game publishers adopting a console that supports that equation, let alone one that champions it as a selling point.

The system design they suggest is not different in that regard than any android phone, really. But developers still produce games and apps for that. And also major publishers won't port their AAA titles to the system, because as you stated above, it will probably not be able to runs the new generation of games because of the limited hardware.

Now, I support the idea of another console on the market, especially one that has a goal of being easy to develop for. But this one is subtly trying to roll back technology 5 years to save money and seems not to be taking their role as a curator for their console's content seriously. Not what I want to support.

I wouldn't say that they try to go backwards - it's just a different approach. They design a system that is inexpensive, standarized und indie-developer-friendly.

So stop and think before you throw money at it. The bandwagon is pretty crowded now anyways and if there was ever a product that needed to prove itself BEFORE you buy it, this is one!

That is always good advice. But I for one can live with the risk of wasting 99$ because I think this project has real potential for something cool. I mean, just look at what the three big ones are forcing upon us: DRM (ever tried to port your XBLA games to a new console after your old one good fried?), locked-down marketplaces, region locks - they behave if you hadn't bought the console but was just "allowed to touch it".

I think the project is not for everyone, I also agree that there are still problems to be solved, but I think it's still really interesting and worth my money.

TEGRA 3 Tech Demo

I'd love to see some emulators on this and apps to stream any music or video file from a HDD or PC over LAN. I've been looking forward to a media hub for my tv that can play anything.

TEGRA 3 Tech Demo

Thanks for the video link - looks promising, although there was not mention of the resolution, I think?!

But it looks like it could hold up pretty well compared to the current generation of consoles.

I'd love to see some emulators on this and apps to stream any music or video file from a HDD or PC over LAN. I've been looking forward to a media hub for my tv that can play anything.

Absolutly - currently we use a rooted appleTV with XMBC, but that's not the same as an open system that delivers right from the start.

The only thing I will probalby miss is iTunes Store support but that's never going to happen - Hopefully they find other content providers who will want to work with them - I don't wanna be watching streamed eSport matches 24/7 ;-)

This is pretty interesting project. There has been efforts in creating open platform consoles before, but they all have failed because of lack of funding and content.

Using current tablet and mobile tech is actually pretty smart, as there already is a lot of content for Android, that runs in HD.

I'd say OUYA has a good change of being the first one that actually succeed, especially because it's also easy to turn the console into a real multimedia device.

The point is not to build another high end console. They try to devliver a unidifed platform combined with an easy to use OS and market place. Even if you plug a phone with HDMI support in your TV it's by far not the same thing: The phone's resolution has to be upscaled, the ratio doesn't match, you have no unified controller (there are some, but which small developers supports them, if they are not standarized?) and so forth.

I for one would love to have a simple open plattform which delivers good games from all kinds of developers. XBLX indie games kind of provide the same thing, but people have to fork out a lot more for the 360 and the developers don't have as much freedrom as OUYA is promising.

Well, that is a true point. But it's also true for iOS and XBLX indie games: Tons of crappy games. It will be interesting to see, how they will try to cope with that. Perhaps there will be a bigger influence of the community in terms of rating games. Who knows...

The system design they suggest is not different in that regard than any android phone, really. But developers still produce games and apps for that. And also major publishers won't port their AAA titles to the system, because as you stated above, it will probably not be able to runs the new generation of games because of the limited hardware.

I wouldn't say that they try to go backwards - it's just a different approach. They design a system that is inexpensive, standarized und indie-developer-friendly.

That is always good advice. But I for one can live with the risk of wasting 99$ because I think this project has real potential for something cool. I mean, just look at what the three big ones are forcing upon us: DRM (ever tried to port your XBLA games to a new console after your old one good fried?), locked-down marketplaces, region locks - they behave if you hadn't bought the console but was just "allowed to touch it".

I think the project is not for everyone, I also agree that there are still problems to be solved, but I think it's still really interesting and worth my money.

I agree with all of this. It could be that it's a tremendous failure, too, naturally. But I think Kickstarter is perfect for this sort of project. I back it not because I know it'll succeed, but because I don't know, and I'm interested enough that I want to be a part of finding out. If it fails to pick up any speed, which is a distinct possibility, what am I left with? A little bit of disappointment that I spent a bit of money a year ago (but never mind, eh?) and a cool box to play with.

LOL! i just posted about this too! I'M SO FREAKIN' STOKED ABOUT THIS (almost as much as Iron Brigade).

Isn't an open platform otherwise known as a personal computer?

Well, nowadays one could argue about that, now that SecureBoot is coming ;-)

But seriously: That OUYA is kind of open is just one aspect. I think the more important one is that it has already sold like 30.000 units and is a standarized plattform. Just take a look at the framented PC market or the android market! For a small developer there are just so many configurations to consider and test.

The hardware is by far my biggest reservation with this thing. It's middle of the road for a device using smartphone tech and smartphone tech is accelerating rapidly at the moment. If this thing isn't thoroughly surpassed by the tablet or smartphone market by the release time, I'll be surprised.

<---tegra 3 processor capabilities clip.

I think the OUYA will be pretty solid. I backed it w/ a 2nd controller.

I'm not too keen on the flash memory...Hard drives still have a longer lifespan...hopefully they put a lot of fans inside the console so the flash memory doesn't fry after a ridiculously long gaming session.

this is the stats on the OUYA:

Tegra3 quad-core processor

1GB RAM

8GB of internal flash storage

HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD

WiFi 802.11 b/g/n

Bluetooth LE 4.0

USB 2.0 (one)

Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad

Android 4.0

I'd like more ram, personally...but this is pretty frickin' sweet overall....and hopefully the usb will allow the use of a external hard drive or an adapter for ethernet if you don't like wireless (i don't like wireless...i'd rather run cables all over)

When I think of how the gaming industry hasn't exactly held up to promises like 'switching to cd's from cartridges to make games cheaper for the consumer' or how a developer is at the whims of a publisher....that annoys me. This OUYA contraption sounds like something that is waaay overdue....just like a new IRON BRIGADE DLC.

This looked interesting to me for the one second it took me to remember that I have my PC connected to my TV + a controller.

Still a humble open game console designed to accommodate humble indie games sounds appealing and, if it ends up being something that people want enough, it might even be a game changer.

Nonetheless, a gaming platform is only as good as the games it offers. It doesn't matter if you are offered a console with the the latest and most impressive technology in a ridiculously low price, if there aren't any games you care about in it it still is an overpriced useless box.

I don't personally care for consoles in any case (as long as I have a working PC) but, and especially considering that it's already way past its initial goal, I don't see why would anyone want to throw money at this before having a good idea of what games will be available in it. (And honestly, Canabalt? It's a fun little time waster if you have a couple of minutes to spare but is this the kind of game you want to use as a primary selling point?)

Just take a look at the framented PC market or the android market! For a small developer there are just so many configurations to consider and test.

Well yeah... and this just adds one more!

Unless you suggest that many small developers will just completely ditch PC, Android, iOS & consoles in order to produce games exclusively for this, which seems to me extremely unlikely.

Yup, an ethernet port would be great - i also have so many CAT7 wires running thru my home, it should work as a faraday cage by now ;-)

Also a second USB port would be most welcome. I hope they will allow the backers to vote/give input on stuff like that (currently they have only one for games / genres).

Also: I think some people have the misconception that OUYA will be en part with the coming Xbox or PS4:

Regarding performance that's just not gonna happen (how could it with 99$ against 399$?) but in terms of accessability, diversity, coolness - hell yeah it could!

You think there will be Iron Brigade for OUYA....?!

@DoubleFine: How is the OUYA port decision coming along guys?

If you wanna be cool like Fonzie, you gotta do it. Perhaps it could even be a launch title.

<---tegra 3 processor capabilities clip.

Seen it, taken with a pinch of salt due to the fact it's marketing. (Also, I'm fairly sure the Sonic 4 footage is from the trailers, which is from the console versions.)

I think the OUYA will be pretty solid, considering its gonna have waaaay better hardware than a frickin' phone.

The OUYA is using current generation smartphone hardware so, no, it won't be better hardware than a phone.

When I think of how the gaming industry hasn't exactly held up to promises like 'switching to cd's from cartridges to make games cheaper for the consumer' or how a developer is at the whims of a publisher....that annoys me.

One of the reasons for the N64's failure (among many others) was the fact that games were more expensive than the CD-based consoles (though the difference is nowhere near the difference in media costs). As for the publisher dependency to get games published, that's already changing mostly due to digital distribution.

Regarding performance that's just not gonna happen (how could it with 99$ against 399$?)

My issue isn't that it's not competitive with the big 3 consoles (Because that would be ridiculous), rather than it's going to struggle against 2013 smartphones and tablets.

This looked interesting to me for the one second it took me to remember that I have my PC connected to my TV + a controller.

Well, we have that to. Hell, there is so much stuff connected to the screen, that we have several power switches so that not everything runs in standby all the time. But: If you connect a PC, you still lack an OS for the big screen, you still lack a good marketplace that can be couch-controlled and not every game will be a pleasure: Some only have keyboard+mouse support, some will have too small text to be read over a larger distance, some will have resolution troubles ('Resonance' for example: I had to wrangle with the INI file to get the screen resolution to work with my TV).

All in all: PC+TV is OK (especially with XMBC), but it's still something for the more adeventurous gamers I think. If it works: Great, if not, it can be a real hassle.

and especially considering that it's already way past its initial goal, I don't see why would anyone want to throw money at this before having a good idea of what games will be available in it. (And honestly, Canabalt? It's a fun little time waster if you have a couple of minutes to spare but is this the kind of game you want to use as a primary selling point?)

That attitude is quite understandable, but I think it works better for games. Because OUYA needs support from third parties before launch.

So the point in backing is to show more game companies that it's a plattform worth starting to develop for. If you buy the console AFTER the launch, don't expect much games to be available at the launch. So: The more say "Hell yeah, we want that thing! And we prove it: Take our money!" the more developers they can attract to support OUYA. It's the hen-egg problem all over again and the solution would be to back the project before release.

Still, there is no garantuee of course, so I won't blame anybody for not backing and waiting for release - but higher numbers will certainly help to make it work.

Just take a look at the framented PC market or the android market! For a small developer there are just so many configurations to consider and test.

Well yeah... and this just adds one more!

Unless you suggest that many small developers will just completely ditch PC, Android, iOS & consoles in order to produce games exclusively for this, which seems to me extremely unlikely.

Since Android is running on OUYA it will be easy for Android developers to support both OUYA and mobile. But I also believe that there will be some unique concepts showing up, because wihtout the controller you just can't implement some game concepts on mobile devices. MineCraft on iOS and Android is really terrible - it takes hours just to build anything because the touchcontrols are just not meant for a game like that. With a controller on the other hand, it's easy.

And even if OUYA would only get (good) ports, I would be Okay with that. I don't measure the value of a game by the exclusiveness to the platform - as long as it's a good gaming experience I'm all on board.

My issue isn't that it's not competitive with the big 3 consoles (Because that would be ridiculous), rather than it's going to struggle against 2013 smartphones and tablets.

I don't see that as a problem, really. Phones and tablets will always have a significantly different gaming experience than a PC or a stationery console - even if they are more powerful be release, I think that there are still a lot of gaming concepts that won't work very well of them. Every kind of shooter is a pain, also your fingers will block you sight and stuff like that.

Also: As video game history has shown us developers tend to get better results if the hardware is around longer. Why bother getting the most out of a mobile phone, if the user will have a new one within 6 month? But if there is a large user base for a standarized system, it will get solid support.

I'm aware of the pains of trying to play anything more complicated control-wise than a NES game on touch screens. However, smartphones and tablets are also more flexible than the OUYA in that they can be played on the move, where as the OUYA can't while a lot of smartphones and tablets are also getting TV connectivity. As for developing on the same hardware producing better results over time, that's true, but part of the reason traditional consoles have been able to remotely compete with a PC with much higher specs on paper is also architecture, which, given it's using Android, is unlikely to be the case.

Well, we have that to. Hell, there is so much stuff connected to the screen, that we have several power switches so that not everything runs in standby all the time. But: If you connect a PC, you still lack an OS for the big screen, you still lack a good marketplace that can be couch-controlled and not every game will be a pleasure: Some only have keyboard+mouse support, some will have too small text to be read over a larger distance, some will have resolution troubles ('Resonance' for example: I had to wrangle with the INI file to get the screen resolution to work with my TV).

Eh? Those games that only have keyboard+mouse support won't be available on the OUYA at all obviously! At least you can still play them on the PC! Of course not every PC game works well on a TV but the PC offers you so many choices that the argument that 'not every game will be a pleasure' is already void...

An OS for the big screen and a couch controlled marketplace? Is it really so much of a bother to buy and launch your games using your mouse and then pick up the controller?

All in all: PC+TV is OK (especially with XMBC), but it's still something for the more adeventurous gamers I think.

That depends. Apparently so is potentially the perfectly hackable and rootable OUYA - it seems to be promoted as a fixer upper more than a streamlined user-friendly etc. etc. device.

And there's nothing particularly adventurous with using Steam to buy games that have controller support (+games that won't support a slew of screen resolutions are very rare nowadays)

That attitude is quite understandable, but I think it works better for games. Because OUYA needs support from third parties before launch.

From backers it got enough support already. They got the money they asked for and much more.

If they now can't attract enough developers to support its initial release, without our further involvement, then they don't have what it takes to make a new console and you should keep your money away from them.

If you buy the console AFTER the launch, don't expect much games to be available at the launch.

Then I will not buy it after the launch either.

"Hell yeah, we want that thing! And we prove it: Take our money!"

Hell no, we want that thing if it's worth buying! And we prove it: Make it good and we will give you money!

Honestly in the good old days before the whole kickstarter fad began, I always paid for things after they were already made, and I was pretty happy with it. People should stop making it sound as if we are somehow duty-bound to keep throwing money to all these projects (like by saying things like "You hate video games or what?" I know you mean well and that it's a humorous comment, but such things are so overused lately that it ends up being pushy. The worst thing about all these kickstarter threads is how they end up with people begging and/or demanding more and more money on behalf of someone else!)

I'm sorry (actually, no I'm not) but if you have great ideas that you want to see become real you need to have what it takes to come up with what you need without pushing your potential future customers to keep on blindly giving you more and more money. It's just not fair. The OUYA got its funds, now it's up to them to make the best product they can so that they will be successful, make a lot of money and introduce their ideal updated version in the near future. The whole point of kickstarter is for people to help creators with good ideas to start going, not to solve their financial problems forever!

Sign in to follow this