Sign in to follow this  
Puppetsj

Having trouble with X360 controller and Psychonauts!

The demo for the game, which I downloaded through Steam, worked fine with my wired X360 controller, but I now have the full version (bought through Steam) and the game refuses to acknowledge the controller. I go into the controller options in-game and try to reset the controls to the buttons and sticks on the controller, but nothing happens.

When I go into Windows' Game Controller properties for the controller I can see that Windows knows the controller's there and sees what buttons I'm pushing and how I'm pushing the sticks.

And it's not just the Steam version of the full game either as I borrowed a friend's boxed copy and that didn't work there either.

Any idea what's wrong and how to fix it?

Hmm... I switched to a 360 wired controller and it worked just fine. Do you have the drivers installed? The XBCD drivers that is, I didn't really use the drivers from the official site.

While I wait for a reply I'll go check the settings for ya and see if there's anything that may have been missed.

EDIT: To save time, I'll include a link to said driver, which I like better than the original because it supports rumble better and you can change the triggers to axis OR buttons dependent on the game in question, as some won't accept axises as digital button inputs. If you already have this driver, disregard the rest of this message. I can't really assist if you have another one though, because as far as I can see, that's the only reason Psychonauts won't pick it up.

1. http://xbcd360guide.50webs.com/

2. Go to the 'Download' page. (duh!)

3. Choose the appropriate driver for your system. Beta or latest final, whichever you prefer.

4. http://xbcd360guide.50webs.com/guide.html Follow this guide exactly as it says and you'll be good to go. I didn't actually think I'd need the guide when I first tried it and had a few issues as it wasn't the same as most drivers are to install... (And no, he's not using a Mac, just an OSX skin for Windows.)

5. Try Psychonauts again!

Installed the XBCD driver, still doesn't work. Didn't expect it to as I had no problems with the previous driver in the demo and in other games.

Installed the XBCD driver, still doesn't work. Didn't expect it to as I had no problems with the previous driver in the demo and in other games.

Regardless, it's a better driver all around.

Anyhoo, some simple and obvious questions since that's what's most fun to ask:

1. Have you restarted your PC after plugging in the controller, and/or since you installed the drivers/Psychonauts? My controller was fussy about rebooting when I first hooked it all up. I know a lot of people like to leave their computers on for a long time to gather uptime for some reason.

2. Have you tried simply unplugging the controller and plugging it back in while Psychonauts is turned off?

3. You've gone to the config in the game, right? I have to ask because it wasn't stated in the first post. Even if the demo auto-setup your controller the first time around, you may have to do it manually for this.

4. Does the controller simply not work in Psychonauts? Nothing at all is detected?

5. Uh...

1. Have you restarted your PC after plugging in the controller, and/or since you installed the drivers/Psychonauts? My controller was fussy about rebooting when I first hooked it all up. I know a lot of people like to leave their computers on for a long time to gather uptime for some reason.

Yes, I've restarted the computer. And this is not something I've just started struggling with, I bought the game probably 2 months ago or more. Just trying now for the second time to figure it out.

2. Have you tried simply unplugging the controller and plugging it back in while Psychonauts is turned off?

I'm pretty sure I have done that, probably multiple times too. But for the sake of being thorough I'll make sure to do it again after this.

3. You've gone to the config in the game, right? I have to ask because it wasn't stated in the first post. Even if the demo auto-setup your controller the first time around, you may have to do it manually for this.

From my first post:

I go into the controller options in-game and try to reset the controls to the buttons and sticks on the controller, but nothing happens.

4. Does the controller simply not work in Psychonauts? Nothing at all is detected?

Nope, nothing at all happens. Outside of the full version of Psychonauts the controller works great. All the lights turn on for all the buttons I push in both Window's controller options and in XBCD's, so it's clear that Windows definitely knows it's there and can see what's being pressed.

Edit: And it's not just the Xbox 360 controller. I took on old Xbox controller of mine about a year ago and put a USB lead on it and got the XBCD driver for that. When I got Psychonauts I tried to use that one as well, but it was the same as with my X360 controller.

Have you totally uninstalled your XBCD/other Xbox controller drivers before installing new ones? They're highly incompatible and will screw up pretty bad.

Have you totally uninstalled your XBCD/other Xbox controller drivers before installing new ones? They're highly incompatible and will screw up pretty bad.
^I agree.

puppetsj,

Have you tried playing any other titles to see if it is more than just that game? If the Xbox 360 controller isn't working, then do what Xbob42 just suggested. I had issues getting my Xbox 360 controller working on my PC for a bit and uninstalling, then reinstalling, rebooting my PC, and that did the trick.

Best of luck. These sort of things are always frustrating to me, so hopefully you get it working alright.

I had the same problem for a bit, although I had already tried the full version with X360 controller and it worked...but then next time I started the game it wouldn't respond to the controller. Just fixed by resetting the controller and the wireless receptor, try that.

Also just so you'll know you'll want to remap the controls, the later psychic abilities you get are assigned to keys the X360 controller doesn't even have.

Also just so you'll know you'll want to remap the controls, the later psychic abilities you get are assigned to keys the X360 controller doesn't even have.

Yeah that was kind of weird. I was uncomfortable with the default keys anyway. What's up with default keys in PC games these days anyway? It's like no matter what controller I have, they're mapped in the worst way possible.

Left analog stick, click it to jump!

Press start to use PSI Power 2!

It would've been a lot better if the trigger keys on that gamepad could've been mapped to somethnig.

They can if you use the XBCD drivers and change the triggers (analog) to digital buttons.

Yeah I think I heard of those but don't really feel like downloading extra drivers...although using the triggers for somethnig WOULD be good.

Look at my first reply to this thread and follow the instructions precisely after getting rid of the default drivers. Trust me, I know you don't feel like getting excess drivers, I didn't either, but you get a lot more freedom from XBCD drivers.

You can map anything as anything to anything and save that layout, so you can switch the triggers to buttons for say, Psychonauts, and then simply changing to another of your configs, have them back to analog triggers (Combined or separate, I believe, your choice) for say a racing game. You want your D-Pad to be four more buttons? Go for it! It's an awesome driver that I give serious recommendation to for anyone who likes proper control over their controller.

Also, it supports rumble.

Is double fine really working on a patch to fix compatibility with the 360 controller? That would be really great. The triggers work in the game with the default drivers, but you just can't remap them to anything.

Heh, I was creating this post in case there wasn't a thread on this topic already. Since its a known issue though I might as well just throw it in here anyway! BEEP BEEP

Just looking for a little input as far as if anyone got this working properly with a 360 pad.

I can't get the triggers (RotZ) to be accepted at all by the game. When set to the default controls they're accepted and work to rotate the camera left and right. However the game was designed so that those functions are mapped to the right stick (JoyRotX & JoyRotY). At least I can say that by looking at the Xbox controls anyway. I've tried everything to get it to work, but no luck.

So following the Xbox controls (see http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/p/psychonauts/controllermap.htm)

This is how my inputs look:

[input]

MoveForward_Alt=Up

MoveBackward_Alt=Down

MoveLeft_Alt=Left

MoveRight_Alt=Right

Jump_Alt=Joy1

Attack_Alt=Joy3

Use_Alt=Joy4

Cancel_Alt=Joy2

LockOn/Float_Alt=

PsiPower1_Alt=

PsiPower2_Alt=Joy6

PsiPower3_Alt=Joy5

InventoryMenu_Alt=DPadLeft

PsiPowersMenu_Alt=DPadRight

FirstPerson_Alt=Joy10

Journal_Alt=Joy8

Stats_Alt=Joy7

LookUp_Alt=JoyRotY

LookDown_Alt=JoyRotY

LookLeft_Alt=JoyRotX

LookRight_Alt=JoyRotX

Has anyone gotten it to work? What did you put for "LockOn/Float_Alt=" and "PsiPower1_Alt="?

It'd be nice if rumble worked too, but I'm guessing thats not happening haha.

yeah... any chance of a fix on this please? I have the wireless 360 controller, and I would find to much easier to play the game on that, but I can't map the analouge sticks.

The drivers in this thread do not work as they are for wired only!

Yeah that was kind of weird. I was uncomfortable with the default keys anyway. What's up with default keys in PC games these days anyway? It's like no matter what controller I have, they're mapped in the worst way possible.

Left analog stick, click it to jump!

Press start to use PSI Power 2!

I just used the keybord controls on my laptop and it works well

Hi. I just found a way to make this work.

First of all, I'm using a wireless 360 controller, and official drivers version 1.1. I downloaded the JoyToKey utility from here: http://www.electracode.com/4/joy2key/JoyToKey English Version.htm

Then, when running it, I enabled support for additional axes, under "Others", as illustrated here:

http://i36.tinypic.com/16b11xy.png

Then, I set the actions that were originally assigned to the original Xbox console's left and right triggers (that is, lock on/ PSY float to the left one and primary PSY power to the right one) to the default keyboard/ mouse controls, as can be seen here:

http://i35.tinypic.com/13z8vi0.png

Finally, I leave the program running (if you minimize it, it'll go to the taskbar), start up the game, configure the bindings so that they more accurately reflect the Xbox controller's setup, and voilà!

Hope this works for you, guys! ;)