Sign in to follow this  
aavella

Will we see DFA on the new Ouya console?

I'd say there's a pretty good chance. We're getting an Android version of DFA, right? Should be a breeze to add Ouya compatibility to it.

I've seen a good few editorials that have picked apart the campaign and the concept ruthlessly. I'm lead to believe that there's a pretty small chance of this thing going anywhere. And even if it did, why would DF want to pour their resources into porting to an unproven platform with a totally different control scheme?

I'd wait and see what will happen with the project before anything else.

Who cares? Seems like the worst way to play it.

How do you figure? Doesn't seem like it'd be any worse than on 360 or PS3.

I've seen a good few editorials that have picked apart the campaign and the concept ruthlessly. I'm lead to believe that there's a pretty small chance of this thing going anywhere. And even if it did, why would DF want to pour their resources into porting to an unproven platform with a totally different control scheme?

I think they get atleast some boxes out, but ecosystem and viability or need to port is questionable...

indeed.

A lot of people care. :) After sitting in front of a computer all day for work, a lot of us would rather kick back on a couch and play games with the family and friends.

Why would someone pay hundreds or thousands of dollars towards a game that isn't even in the concept stage? Sometimes you see something that you like to happen and you're willing to invest some money into it, even if there's no guarantee that your hopes will be fulfilled. If the investment isn't large, and the chance to make it back is there, then you don't need proof up front that it will be great. By the way a controller with a touch screen is the perfect companion for a point and click adventure game.

I'm not completely sold on the Ouya, but I certainly don't see it as anything bad, and I can see it gaining market share. If my son or daughter (suppose they were older) asked me for a console, then out of current and upcoming consoles Ouya will likely be on top of my list of what to give them. Maybe they'd feel cheated. :) Still, a console where every game has a free trial and game prices are generally low is certainly a parent's friend.

Why would someone pay hundreds or thousands of dollars towards a game that isn't even in the concept stage? Sometimes you see something that you like to happen and you're willing to invest some money into it, even if there's no guarantee that your hopes will be fulfilled. If the investment isn't large, and the chance to make it back is there, then you don't need proof up front that it will be great. By the way a controller with a touch screen is the perfect companion for a point and click adventure game.

I'm not completely sold on the Ouya, but I certainly don't see it as anything bad, and I can see it gaining market share. If my son or daughter (suppose they were older) asked me for a console, then out of current and upcoming consoles Ouya will likely be on top of my list of what to give them. Maybe they'd feel cheated. :) Still, a console where every game has a free trial and game prices are generally low is certainly a parent's friend.

The thing is that with DFA, people weren't backing the game; there was no game. They were backing Tim because he was a proven cause for excitement.

Here, we have a great sounding concept, but it's compounded with a trailer full of outlandish, over the top promises. Many of which are outright lies. I wonder how many people would have backed this machine if they'd been as upfront and honest as Tim was about how little they were starting with? I don't think a group that uses such obvious deception in their pitch deserves the benefit of the doubt from developers. Developers who could be putting their hard earned backings into the game rather than a port.

I'm a little surprised that so many people are sceptical that the Ouya is going to be released - is it really so outlandish? It's made from readily available parts, the software is clearly well into development (we've seen videos of it looking pretty well polished) and the team seems well organised, having made significant progress even before the Kickstarter launched. Now they've got a gigantic stack of money, a massive amount of free press and a public falling over themselves to buy the product.

Here, we have a great sounding concept, but it's compounded with a trailer full of outlandish, over the top promises. Many of which are outright lies. I wonder how many people would have backed this machine if they'd been as upfront and honest as Tim was about how little they were starting with? I don't think a group that uses such obvious deception in their pitch deserves the benefit of the doubt from developers. Developers who could be putting their hard earned backings into the game rather than a port.

Can you elaborate a little on this? The bit about 'free' games (when they actually mean games that are either driven by micro-transactions or just free to try) is a little misleading granted, but are they really pushing 'outright lies'?

I think he is referring to stuff like Madden and Minecraft getting name dropped, when there’s no guarantee that either will show up for the system (for Madden is also highly unlikely) since there’s no official agreement between the makers of OUYA and any of the involved parties.

So saying “Minecraft will be on it” as it stands is a direct lie. That doesn’t mean that after the success the project had thus far Mojang won’t decide to release it on OUYA however.

As far as this project goes, let DF finish developing this game on the promised platforms first, and when that’s done and if the OUYA is still around, I’m guessing a port of the Android version wouldn’t be too hard for them to manage if they feel the need.

Yes, that's what I'm saying too, by implication.

When I first heard about Ouya, I was super excited. Then I started reading quite a few negative editorials and I was less sure. But the more I think about it, the more I think the Ouya has a definite chance of carving out a niche for itself. Fact is, under normal conditions, I would rather play ANY game on a console, hooked up to my TV, with a regular controller.

The main criticism I've seen suggest that the system has no place in the current market - it can't run the AAA games that other consoles thrive on and it cant' survive on "2D" games (as one person put it - but I think "simple" games is what they meant) because mobile platforms have that locked down. I don't know about any one else, but I don't think either of those complaints are valid. I HATE playing games on my phone. I almost never do it, unless the game is free - it is a waste of money to buy a phone game. Every single good phone game; I would be much more likely to buy it if it were on a platform like this. As for the AAA games - again, I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't think those games are as important as every body else seems to. There are maybe 10 good AAA games on 360 IMO - every other good game is on XBLA. If it weren't for XBLA I would hardly even use the system. Now, think about the next gen - when the 720 (or whatever) will cost $400 dollars or more. If the Ouya were able to offer the same library of download titles as the 720, unquestionably I would buy an Ouya and hold off on the 720 until it's price dropped. Even if it wasn't the SAME library - if it was just comparable in terms of depth and breadth and quality, then the system would EASILY be worth the money.

It is also important that the platform is developer friendly - that will help. I think in the best case scenario Ouya will be like Youtube, for games. There will be a mixture of very amateurish things, which most people will ignore, but some people might get a kick out of, and things that are quite professional, and things that aren't professional but still manage to be really cool and interesting. Every college student interested in game design/development will want one. Via Ouya, new designers will rise to fame, experimental mechanics will get explored - even if it's just in the form of people uploading their thesis projects and such. The whole 70/30 thing won't matter to that audience - it will be an important and exciting learning process just getting something polished enough to release onto a specific service at all. Steam isn't open enough to allow for that kind of thing. Even people interested in hardware development will want one - since this system can be easily modded or altered (opens up with standard screws - they go out of their way to say that in the video) it won't be long at all before people start developing hardware upgrades and accessories.

Either way, it's an interesting experiment. I look forward to seeing what happens.

I use my 46" LED Philips tv with my computer all the time. Got the furniture for it too.

Never understood the concept of Ouya. Steam is as good a place as any for indies.

Android isn't as easy to port to as many think.

Mikki Saturn, I agree. And I don't think "non-AAA" means 2D. There will be quite a few 3D games. Even the Wii has mostly 3D games, and it's very underpowered compared to the Ouya. If the Ouya has some success I'm sure it will end up getting some AAA titles too. They might be lower graphics versions or versions of older titles, but it's not THAT underpowered. It will also be a great platform for remakes and fan projects: Quake, Descent, SCUMMVM, that kind of thing.

Mikki Saturn, I agree. And I don't think "non-AAA" means 2D. There will be quite a few 3D games. Even the Wii has mostly 3D games, and it's very underpowered compared to the Ouya. If the Ouya has some success I'm sure it will end up getting some AAA titles too. They might be lower graphics versions or versions of older titles, but it's not THAT underpowered. It will also be a great platform for remakes and fan projects: Quake, Descent, SCUMMVM, that kind of thing.

People need to face the reality. Ouya will fail. I'd bet money on that. Maybe not a failure like the Virtual Boy, but gradually we will stop hearing about it.

The Ouya contradicts everything a console is for. A console is a closed machine for a reason: to be sure all users will have the same experience. Ouya will play Android Games, but it'll not play like an Android Phone. Don't be fooled: there will not be exclusives. At least, not anything you want to play.

But, in the end, it'll be a good thing. It'll teach us a thing or two about this market. But I'm not sure it will be good on the business side too...

People need to face the reality. Ouya will fail. I'd bet money on that. Maybe not a failure like the Virtual Boy, but gradually we will stop hearing about it.

The Ouya contradicts everything a console is for. A console is a closed machine for a reason: to be sure all users will have the same experience. Ouya will play Android Games, but it'll not play like an Android Phone. Don't be fooled: there will not be exclusives. At least, not anything you want to play.

But, in the end, it'll be a good thing. It'll teach us a thing or two about this market. But I'm not sure it will be good on the business side too...

I don't think that people need to face reality, especially a speculative reality (i.e., one which hasn't happened yet). If you like something and want it to succeed, and you're willing to take a little risk, do it.

I don't think that people need to face reality, especially a speculative reality (i.e., one which hasn't happened yet). If you like something and want it to succeed, and you're willing to take a little risk, do it.

This isn't what I'd call "little risk".

Depends. A hundred dollars isn't really that much money.

Of course, I live in Europe. ;)

Well, I live in Brazil and our money is really strong (1 dollar : 2 BRL). And our taxes are way higher. But at least we are not bankupt.

Besides, if you already own an Android Phone or an iPhone, a hundred dollars just to play in the TV... I don't know.

Well, I live in Brazil and our money is really strong (1 dollar : 2 BRL). And our taxes are way higher. But at least we are not bankupt.

Besides, if you already own an Android Phone or an iPhone, a hundred dollars just to play in the TV... I don't know.

Great response

abraços do Brasil

Great response

abraços do Brasil

Sign in to follow this