Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Oliver

Popular Linux distributions

What Linux distribution do you use?  

371 members have voted

1. 1. What Linux distribution do you use?

• Ubuntu
    • Mint
    • Debian
    • Suse
    • Fedora
    • Arch
    • Gentoo
    • Hannah Montana Linux http://hannahmontana.sourceforge.net/
    • Other
    • I just want to see the results

Hi guys!

I was wondering which Linux distribution you guys are using. Our goal is to identify the most common distribution used to play games on. Please feel free to mention other version not represented in the poll.

Thanks for your help!

I wouldn't want to be Captain Hindsight but maybe you can change the poll if you find my observation correct. You should have added an 'I don't use Linux' option, I don't use Linux but I am still curious to see the results and I can't do so without voting (a 'other' option would be usefull too I think)

Hi DF Oliver,

I started with MS-DOS in a 486DX machine, since then I used Windows (95, 98SE, XP, Vista x64 and 7 x64)

Now I´m testing Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin over a Virtual Machine. It´s works fine, for my particular use is great. I played Humble Bundle games and OK.

When Steam comes to Linux I definitely des-win-exorcism my machine. ^^

I started with MS-DOS on XT, wait, that's not what you asked never mind.

For me Windows is also the primary OS, used CentOS for work and also Debian in the past but not really for personal use.

I would probably go with Ubuntu or CentOS if I had to choose a Linux distro.

Mix of Ubuntu (desktop, mostly so it can share a fakeraid with windows) and Mint (laptop, family computer). If I were to vote to packaging, a debian package (in 32 and 64) and a tarball as a fallkback. Just a 32 is okay as long as it will work with the x:i386 compatibility packages.

I wouldn't want to be Captain Hindsight but maybe you can change the poll if you find my observation correct. You should have added an 'I don't use Linux' option, I don't use Linux but I am still curious to see the results and I can't do so without voting (a 'other' option would be usefull too I think)

For those who can't see, currently results are: Ubuntu 24, Mint 3, Debian 2, Suse 0, Fedora 4.

I use ubuntu. I definitely agree there should've been an "other" option though.

For those who can't see, currently results are: Ubuntu 24, Mint 3, Debian 2, Suse 0, Fedora 4.

I use ubuntu. I definitely agree there should've been an "other" option though.

The way I see it they want to find out which distros are popular among Linux users. If you don't use Linux then this poll is not for you.

Totally agree on other though.

Edit: I choose Mint but only have it in a VM, Im actually using Gentoo.

]The way I see it they want to find out which distros are popular among Linux users. If you don't use Linux then this poll is not for you.

True, but why not allow me to see the results anyway? Do they need to be secret? Maybe I'm interested in using Linux and I'm interested in this as part of my research on what's right for me, or maybe I'm just curious for no reason. Simply having a 'this poll is not for me' option would allow me to satisfy my curiosity without risking 'diluting' the results.

]The way I see it they want to find out which distros are popular among Linux users. If you don't use Linux then this poll is not for you.

True, but why not allow me to see the results anyway? Do they need to be secret? Maybe I'm interested in using Linux and I'm interested in this as part of my research on what's right for me, or maybe I'm just curious for no reason. Simply having a 'this poll is not for me' option would allow me to satisfy my curiosity without risking 'diluting' the results.

I totally agree there should be a possibility for non Linux users to view the results.

I'm not a Linux user, but whenever I try it I gravitate towards Mint. Though last time I really tried to use Linux I ended up using SUSE, because Mint and Ubuntu didn't want to install (and SUSE needed a bit of massaging, but worked).

Anyway, there are two versions of Mint, one Ubuntu based, one Debian based. So as an entry it's both confusing and somewhat meaningless.

Ok, well you can ignore my vote for Ubantu because I was trying to click the "I just want to see the results" option on my iPhone and it's a bit too close to the submit button and the poll defaults to Ubantu. It makes me wonder if that's why it's leading by such a large margin.

Ok, well you can ignore my vote for Ubantu because I was trying to click the "I just want to see the results" option on my iPhone and it's a bit too close to the submit button and the poll defaults to Ubantu. It makes me wonder if that's why it's leading by such a large margin.

Ok, well you can ignore my vote for Ubantu because I was trying to click the "I just want to see the results" option on my iPhone and it's a bit too close to the submit button and the poll defaults to Ubantu.

23458480.jpg

(Ubuntu*)

Ok, well you can ignore my vote for Ubantu because I was trying to click the "I just want to see the results" option on my iPhone and it's a bit too close to the submit button and the poll defaults to Ubantu.

23458480.jpg

(Ubuntu*)

23458480.jpg

(Ubuntu*)

Haha.. all the more reason to ignore my vote! :) I should know better than to try and do a poll using my iPhone.

23458480.jpg

(Ubuntu*)

Haha.. all the more reason to ignore my vote! :) I should know better than to try and do a poll using my iPhone.

Sign in to follow this