Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
El_Sig

Leisure Suit Larry unexpectedly switch developers...fans do not seem happy.

Here's the story: http://venturebeat.com/2012/07/15/leisure-suit-larry-publisher-trades-up-to-a-new-developer-exclusive/

Part of the Kickstarter appeal was that the developer would be Adventure Mob (an Isralean company). Now, they've ditched them and gone for N-Fusion in Jersey.

The story doesn't say why, but the fans don't seem too happy. This is not what they were were initially backing.

I did back it myself, albeit at a very low tier where I just get the game (which is what I'm interested in). However, I can see the points they are making. We were told Adventure Mob would be developing the game, it's their screenshots and demo we have seen....now it's gone to someone else..

“This is a good thing for us,” he said.

N-Fusion Interactive has been in business for over 17 years and has produced games on a wide variety of platforms. Most recently, they’ve released the iOS hit Air Mail and “Deepak Chopra’s Leela,” a motion-controlled meditation/relaxation experience for the Xbox Kinect and Nintendo Wii.

I'm not sure a motion controlled medidation experience for consoles is the same as an adventure game such as Leisure suite larry......

Smells fishy...Anyone here know the real reason?

I never backed for Adventure Mob. They were an unkown party to me and I solely pledged because of Al Lowe's involment in the ptoject. Without him I wouldn't have backed at all.

What I've read it seems, that AM didn't have the necessary work force and Replay found out during their Tel Aviv visit, that all the art was in fact outsourced, when AM was already an outsourced developer, that was supposed to be responsible for art and coding. Josh Mandel mentioned, that during their visit several other red flags were visible and they decied, that it would be safer to change developers.

I don't know the whole story, I don't know if we will ever hear the whole thruth, but I for once am not devastated or unhappy because of the dev chnage, if AM really wasn't up to the task.

I never backed for Adventure Mob. They were an unkown party to me and I solely pledged because of Al Lowe's involment in the ptoject. Without him I wouldn't have backed at all.

What I've read it seems, that AM didn't have the necessary work force and Replay found out during their Tel Aviv visit, that all the art was in fact outsourced, when AM was already an outsourced developer, that was supposed to be responsible for art and coding. Josh Mandel mentioned, that during their visit several other red flags were visible and they decied, that it would be safer to change developers.

I don't know the whole story, I don't know if we will ever hear the whole thruth, but I for once am not devastated or unhappy because of the dev chnage, if AM really wasn't up to the task.

I'm somewhat ambivalent about the change. I didn't care much for AM's background art, but I liked their animation a lot more than N-Fusion's, and I like that they're more comitted to the genre.

I kind of regret backing this project in general though, because Paul Trowe has proven to be such an unprofessional, childish loudmouth, and I no longer have a great deal of confidence in the project.

I also think it was really sleazy that he dangled the possibility of an original Larry sequel after this, as well as possible Space Quest, King's Quest, and Quest for Glory sequels (which he doesn't even have the rights to, nor can he get them, so it was more or less a lie) and now it seems as if they're just going to keep doing Larry remakes. He goes out and throws a tantrum about Sam Suede trying to "cash in on others' success" even though he falsely name dropped a bunch of other series in order to advance his own agenda. The guy just comes across as a real sleaze.

I'm somewhat ambivalent about the change. I didn't care much for AM's background art, but I liked their animation a lot more than N-Fusion's, and I like that they're more comitted to the genre.

I kind of regret backing this project in general though, because Paul Trowe has proven to be such an unprofessional, childish loudmouth, and I no longer have a great deal of confidence in the project.

I also think it was really sleazy that he dangled the possibility of an original Larry sequel after this, as well as possible Space Quest, King's Quest, and Quest for Glory sequels (which he doesn't even have the rights to, nor can he get them, so it was more or less a lie) and now it seems as if they're just going to keep doing Larry remakes. He goes out and throws a tantrum about Sam Suede trying to "cash in on others' success" even though he falsely name dropped a bunch of other series in order to advance his own agenda. The guy just comes across as a real sleaze.

I do agree, that Paul Trowe isn't the best public face. His comments really seem to rub people in the wrong way. Replay would benefit a lot from better PR work, so here's to hoping, that Paul stays out from too much commentary and leaves it to Josh and Al.

But to the topic, outsourcing is always a risk and sometimes it just happens, that you choose a partner, who in the end turns out to not to be the best possible for the project in hand. In these cases it's better to find it out sooner than later. All the projects by profilic designers with companies without their own workforce face the same risk, thought some benefit from that they've already worked with the outsourced developer they've assigned to the task.

And like I said in the Replay's forums, they got a lot riding with the project. If Larry Reloaded fails, then it's the last we will see of the series.

I do agree, that Paul Trowe isn't the best public face. His comments really seem to rub people in the wrong way. Replay would benefit a lot from better PR work, so here's to hoping, that Paul stays out from too much commentary and leaves it to Josh and Al.

But to the topic, outsourcing is always a risk and sometimes it just happens, that you choose a partner, who in the end turns out to not to be the best possible for the project in hand. In these cases it's better to find it out sooner than later. All the projects by profilic designers with companies without their own workforce face the same risk, thought some benefit from that they've already worked with the outsourced developer they've assigned to the task.

And like I said in the Replay's forums, they got a lot riding with the project. If Larry Reloaded fails, then it's the last we will see of the series.

I don't know what prompted the change of studio, but it's probably a good move.

I don't know what prompted the change of studio, but it's probably a good move.

Personally, I don't really care who develops the game. I didn't even know who Adventure Mob was until yesterday. I backed it because of Al Lowe and the fact that Leisure Suit Larry was the first adventure game I played when I was around 10 (yeah...ten!).

To me it's all about the nostalgia, not who creates it. I was curious about the state of the game so I did some googling and came across this story where it seems like some people are upset. Hence I thought I'd ask this knowledgeable community if they knew the background story :)

And I'm pretty sure Mr. Laffer himself doesn't care either, as long as he gets laid!!

Personally, I don't really care who develops the game. I didn't even know who Adventure Mob was until yesterday. I backed it because of Al Lowe and the fact that Leisure Suit Larry was the first adventure game I played when I was around 10 (yeah...ten!).

To me it's all about the nostalgia, not who creates it. I was curious about the state of the game so I did some googling and came across this story where it seems like some people are upset. Hence I thought I'd ask this knowledgeable community if they knew the background story :)

And I'm pretty sure Mr. Laffer himself doesn't care either, as long as he gets laid!!

I'm not really that worried about this. - I was a little bit worried that they had initially gone for a company that hasn't actually released anything (And completely different part of the world to them!). But I backed it because of nostalgia and Al.

I'm even getting excited about it because they are changing the puzzles and expanding the story. Before I was just interested because it was good to support the old Sierra folks.

I hope this doesn't backfire and they have done their due diligence with the new developer though. There is no way they could do something like this again and not run out of money.

I'm not really that worried about this. - I was a little bit worried that they had initially gone for a company that hasn't actually released anything (And completely different part of the world to them!). But I backed it because of nostalgia and Al.

I'm even getting excited about it because they are changing the puzzles and expanding the story. Before I was just interested because it was good to support the old Sierra folks.

I hope this doesn't backfire and they have done their due diligence with the new developer though. There is no way they could do something like this again and not run out of money.

I think it's again the small, vocal minority, who just wants to stir up a noise from some reason. I think, thought I really can't prove it, that most people backed Larry because of Al Lowe and possible promise of a new game some where in the future if this works out. Close second was Josh Mandel. Minority of backers may have backed because of Adventure Mob.

I think it's again the small, vocal minority, who just wants to stir up a noise from some reason. I think, thought I really can't prove it, that most people backed Larry because of Al Lowe and possible promise of a new game some where in the future if this works out. Close second was Josh Mandel. Minority of backers may have backed because of Adventure Mob.

This is turning out to be a mistake (in my opinion) to back this project. I only backed the minimum tier, but my $15 could have gone to a Kickstarter like Jack Houston and the Necronauts instead. I'd rather back that project then hear about Al Lowe travelling the world and swimming in money. Don't forget him instantly pushing the release date back after the funding ended... :shut:

I think it doesn't matter why someone backed: they promised x, and they're delivering y. Of course, the money now is theirs and they can do whatever they want, but it's about respecting the people who give you that money. But it's not a disaster, people just need more info.

This is turning out to be a mistake (in my opinion) to back this project. I only backed the minimum tier, but my $15 could have gone to a Kickstarter like Jack Houston and the Necronauts instead. I'd rather back that project then hear about Al Lowe travelling the world and swimming in money. Don't forget him instantly pushing the release date back after the funding ended... :shut:

You do realise, that the release date was pushed because of the new content? That was the deal: if the goal was reached and with the stretch goals, then they'd need some more time time to add the new content. I think that's pretty fair and they did iform about it during the Kickstarter as well.

I didn't think it was due to new content, I just felt this could have been handled better. If they are actually going to add new content, then by all means push the date.

Josh Mandel has actually said, that the new design makes all the old walkthroughs obsolote with Larry Reloaded, so at this moment it actually is looking a bit like a new game set in the familiar settings.

I think it doesn't matter why someone backed: they promised x, and they're delivering y. Of course, the money now is theirs and they can do whatever they want, but it's about respecting the people who give you that money. But it's not a disaster, people just need more info.

Well , how about if they stayed with AM and then the project either didn't get delivered, was substantially delayed or crap? Yes there is an element of promising X and delivering Y, but in this case it's a matter of changing developers because they didn't think that AM could deliver on what they have promised. So really, they are respecting the backers by making sure that they get the best possible use out of the money we donated.

I didn't think it was due to new content, I just felt this could have been handled better. If they are actually going to add new content, then by all means push the date.

Yes it was due to the new content. Here is the extract from the first post-kickstarter update:

Now, let's get down to business! Since all 14,000+ backers made it past the $650k mark you guys get more rooms, another girl, and all new dialogue in the game (from hitting the $550k tier too!). The bad news is, this has serious ramifications on our ship date. We were originally planning on shipping in October but since we have to pretty much design a TON of new stuff (which I think is extremely positive), there is no way in hell we're going to make October 2012. We MAY be able to make December but honestly, I'd rather launch the game after the holiday season and put a lot of polish (no, not Pole-ish...I said polish!) on the game and make sure we have beta tested it enough to release. There is nothing I can't stand more than a game that was released "to make Christmas" that is just riddled with bugs (anybody remember some unnamed PC games that would ship super buggy in hopes the patch would come out before the game hit the shelves?). So anyway, that's the bad news.

The outsourcing this has been really prevalent on Kickstarter. It's somewhat troubling. Of the big adventure games only DFA and Tex Murphy seem to be totally in-house. Not that contractors can't do great work, but it seems like something that backers should be aware of but often aren't.

The main problem with crowdfunding is that giving some money in advance doesn't instantly transform backers into competent game producers and some people seem to have a hard time realizing that.

Let these guys do their job as they see fit, and judge their results on the only promise that they really made: delivering a great game (and some great goodies).

If they fail to do that, then you'll be entitled to complain to your heart's content.

In the meantime, stop judging things when you don't have 1% of the info needed to make a fair judgement.

Hey Frogacuda, it seems that Paul mentioned you in one of his latest tweets:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/463/P45/#6567

I do remember reading the tweet before I went to bed and it indeed mentioned the name Travis Fahs. I didn't know it was you. I checked his twitter account right now and it does appear to be deleted. I guess he didn't appreciate your comments on the replaygames forum.

The problem is that Paul Trowe is a dick and a PR disaster. Look for example how Tim Schafer responds to a fan who isn't very happy with his poster right on this very forum: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/7300/P25/#231460

He is polite and considerate and offers the backer his money back. Let's compare that to how Paul Trowe treats backers who aren't satisfied. There are numerous examples. There is a backer right now on the kickstarter comments page who would like his money back but hasn't heard anything from Replay Games despite politely emailing them several times: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/leisuresuitlarry/make-leisure-suit-larry-come-again/comments.

I'll also post this link for people who might not be familiar with his previous behaviour:

http://mixnmojo.com/news/Is-Paul-Trowe-of-Replay-Sabatoging-Other-Kickstarters

Also read the comments for more sleuth work from the readers.

You really do have to wonder about Paul Trowe. I have no idea if he is a good guy or not (I would hope so since both Al Lowe and Josh Mandel seem to be doing great!), but he certainly seems to be a PR nightmare at times! Terrible tweets and comments, fake accounts (If that is true, I really don't know either way) and then when he's really caught out seemingly sincere apologies.

Take a back seat Paul and let Josh do the PR work! - Then bask in the glory that you did actually do a hell of a lot of work to get the LSL remake off the ground. Or at least learn how to manage as a public figure :)

As I've said before, I'm really keen on seeing LSL for so many more reasons that why I originally backed it. So it's a hell of a lot more important to build up the hype for it so there are remakes all around for Larry!

On a side note. Larry is kickstarted, Spaceventure is kickstarted, I've heard rumours of a Quest for Glory Kickstarter, Kings Quest is in Telltales hands. It's a great time to be a Sierra fan! (Sorry for the terrible grammar in the previous sentence, but I'm writing quickly and can't be bothered editing).

I wonder if there is any Police Quest fans floating about?

Sign in to follow this