Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Question

CQ's Land of Sprites and Randomness

Oh, I'm sorry "Call of the Wild". Didn't notice your post there for a while.

But yeah, thank you very much. I try my hardest.

I'm very impressed. It's difficult to draw, pixel, and sculpt well, but you've pulled them all off! Excellent work.

Well, thanks.

I just like to try a lot of different things, and Psychonauts happens to be a great subject for these type of things.

Yes, well...

Someone on DeviantART already asked me to do Lungfishopolis, and I'm sure everyone has their own location or character they'd like to see... (I myself look forward to Velvetopia) so I guess I'll just continue on how I see fit.

But since I've already made a bunch of character sprites in advance, and those include Milla, the Dance Party may come sooner, of course.

(For example- Lili and Vernon, done in advance)

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6881/gbavernonlili.png

Heheh- I was just being super excited to cheer you on! Keep making these at whatever pace you feel like!

Actually, my favorite world is Black Velvetopia so I definitely would like to see that. All of the worlds really.

Keep 'em coming!

Wow, these are really amazing! REALLY amazing!

Haha, I wish I had this kind of talent.

Hey, thanks! That means a lot coming from someone so vastly better than me in the way of artistic capabilities.

I'll try to keep it up, I guess.

Well, here I am again.

Back with another piece of pixel art, after well over a year now. And as you can see, I haven't really improved at all.

Oh well, here it is anyway - Milla's Dance Party.

Kh0gjMP.png

(yes, I realize the background is too small compared to the characters and everything looks cluttered)

I thought, since I posted the previous ones here, I might as well put this here as well.

EDIT: Also, I just remembered Acefox requested the Dance Party a couple posts higher on this page, so if you're reading this: I'm sorry you had to wait over a year, and that the result isn't all that great in the end.

@dinnerordie17: I have to disagree entirely, but thanks for the compliment. I'm just disappointed in myself for not being able to do better justice to my favourite game.

Yep, I'm trying more pixel art yet again. I really tried my hardest this time, since no-one seemed to care for any of my other recent stuff. I know this won't change anything and that I'm just whining at an empty thread now (for which I apologise to anyone unfortunate enough to end up reading this somehow), but I'm seriously starting to doubt the merits of what I keep doing.

Well, anyway, I wonder if this is any good:

T07Zolz.png?1

Note: I made the platform a Smash Bros. trophy because I couldn't think of anything more relevant and am very hyped for the next installment right now.

I also realize Psychonauts has just about less chance of being included in Smash Bros. than the Mario series has of not being included, so there's no need to point that out.

EDIT: I almost forgot, I based the poses off of this lineart (http://captainquestion.deviantart.com/#/art/True-Psychic-Tales-Outline-459146719?hf=1) by Laughing-Jack on DeviantART.

I sadly don't think there's much activity at all here lately. And for some reason I usually don't see threads here tagged as having new posts. Not sure if it's a weird forum glitch or something, but I only noticed your post because I suddenly realized my post wasn't the latest anymore.

Yeah, it seems pretty empty all right. I'm an admin on the Psychonauts Wikia (I was one of the few people behind the big reboot from unfinished mess to workable wiki a couple years ago), and that place is practically completely dead at this point.

...But then, my feedback shortage isn't just limited to these forums, either. Either I'm doing something wrong or the Psychonauts fandom is losing interest(maybe ever since the whole Notch thing sort of bummed people out?).

It's kind of to be expected though, given the age of the game. Maybe the Steam forums is a good place to go to discuss the game and show off your art? The first couple of pages there all have activity from the last couple of weeks or so.

EDIT: Oh, and good job on the Psychonauts wiki. :) I think I've read pretty much every page on it at some point and it has a surprisingly good amount of content.

Well, I don't use Steam much myself (I just 'borrow' my younger brother's account when necessary, but it's still mainly his, friends list and everything), and I completed a separate copy of Psychonauts - that is, I own a copy on Steam too but I've not played that one much.

Thank you! I spent a considerable amount of time and effort on some of that very content... imagine my surprise when I noticed Double Fine closed up their own Psycho-pedia and started referring people to our little wiki instead.

I just realized I haven't posted this here... for what it's worth, I made a set of sprites of all of the (important) characters in Psychonauts (and reworked some old ones) for its 10th aniversary a few days ago.

It's a shame that most people just seem to have completely forgotten about the game's existence by now.

bkH1gxR.png

Even after 10 years, everything about this game makes me so happy. Your artwork is great. :)

Thank you! I really put a lot of effort into these, including getting screenshots so I'd have the scale, colours and all the details just right. I also used some of the original concept art for reference.

Unfortunately I didn't have enough time (or skill) to make a background to go along with this, but still, I really tried to give these my all for the anniversary of what will probably always be my favourite game.

Sign in to follow this