Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bufflefromious

Parallel worlds discussion

So it seems that DFA(Red's) is going to revolve around two parallel worlds, separated by any number of forces (time, spaces, dimensions, etc.). However, there has to be some way for these to worlds to interact with one another, thereby complementing and progressing each others plot lines. Sort of the way Day of The Tentacle's characters could interact with each other by either changing history or using the chronojon. I'm curious as to what you think would be the most creative, engaging, and ultimately fun way for these two worlds to interact.

I'm curious as to what you think would be the most creative, engaging, and ultimately fun way for these two worlds to interact.

Guns.

Obviously they should actually be perpendicular worlds. All worlds collide in a single point. This either results in the end of everything or everybody getting really, really confused.

This two worlds will interact via the Higgs Boson. The "swap character" button will be the Large Hadron Collider.

An odd little idea I had was that each one could exist in the other's imagination. That could open up various avenues for them to interact with each other, but I haven't really given it a lot of thought.

Hey ,so i have a suggestion for the game. I love the ideea of 2 main characters and 2 separate worlds,but i think it would be nice that the stories are connected with each other. For example the girl finds remnants of similar ships the boy is currently living in, or puzzles that have to be solved in one world but react in the other. Also it would be great if there was a love storry between them (i'm a sucker for romance :D). So yeah that's my ideea, you guys are amazing,(thank you for taking the time to read this post, this is an awesome community), and Tim rulz!! Thank you for your hard work and dedication and i can't wait to play the game.

Actually, I would much prefer if there weren't a romance. Nearly every piece of media has a romance aspect to it, often just tacked on and done very poorly, and most don't need it. I remember remarking to my friend how happy I was that Inception only had that one non-romantic kiss between Arthur and Ariadne and that there was hardly any romance whatsoever. She looked at me funny and reminded me that the whole movie was a love story. I had cared so little about it that I had blocked basically the entire plot of the movie out.

I don't know if it's solely because I'm asexual, but I really believe there's more than enough love stories out there, and that there will always be more added every day. That's fine, I don't mind, but not every story needs it. Especially if it's just to check off a love-interest box off a list. Besides, just because it's a story of a boy and a girl doesn't mean they have to fall in love. At all. Even ignoring the spectrum of sexualities out there, a boy and a girl don't have to fall in love just because they are a boy and a girl.

Plus they aren't even in each other's company.

If Double Fine ended up opting for a love story I probably wouldn't mind, but it would be nice to just have some platonic love out there. If they choose to interconnect the stories at all. Anywho, my vote is for friendship, if anything.

Or they could become enemies. Which would be cool. Especially because the player would have likely become sympathetic to both parties and it might introduce this gray-morality plot or just conflicting goals. But it doesn't seem to be the direction they're taking.

The love hunter, the hunter of love. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE

No actually I vote friendship too.

And really? Inception is a love story? I didn't see it between the awesome BWUAAAAH hans zimmer music combined with the constant suspense of the movie action.

I do like interlinking puzzles tho.

I came up with the idea of choice versus destiny in this thread so the worlds could interact in that the player has choices in Red-Boy's world which affect Red-Girl's destiny, i.e. If Red-Boy chooses to help a famine struck people on a planet he's come across then Red-Girl is given shelter and water by a kindly farming community in return for some farmhand work, if he doesn't then Red-Girl is given a butcher's knife and food by a stern warrior people in return for some slaughterhouse work.

Building on the imagination thing, I think it might be neat if they dreamt each other. The "swap character" button could actually be a "go to sleep" button. There's lots of potential for subtle hilarity in making your character sleep/swap in various inconvenient places, and it connects the character in a kind of subtle way.

Well considering Cobb's entire motivation and main antagonist was the ghost of his dead wife who he incepted because he ~loved her.. their love story drives the plot more or less entirely. There's a lot of awesome stuff in the movie besides all that, and it's definitely not simply a love story, but their love is hugely important to the story.

Yeah, interlinking puzzles are cool. Especially if there's more than one way to solve them which, if only superficially, changes something in the other world. Like if the dude made an apple pie the trees in the girl's word might have apples. Or if he used cherries instead, they would have cherries. It might encourage replays too.

What if... it's all just one world. This "alien world" is a living organism, so what if... what IF that "world" was actually the monster from the girl's world.

This alien (monster/planet) is powered by cookies, puppies and human flesh. Hence, the sacrifice from the girl's world.

The boy living in this alien world is a sole survival of the sacrifice (they didn't do a good job killing him), and is now trapped and trying to get out.

They are brother and sister, and at the time, the girl doesn't know that her little brother is still alive. At the same time however, she doesn't want there to be any more sacrifices so is trying to kill the monster. But killing the monster will also kill her brother.

Untimely, she will face the decision of either killing the monster, and thus killing her own brother, or "sacrificing" herself to live with and take care of her brother inside of the monster (no way out for her brother to escape!), which leads to the destruction of her village.

This post is based on a lot of unfounded assumptions by myself. So let's say, as it's seems to be suggested, the girl who is going to be sacrificed has decided she is going to break out of that mold and confront the monster to save her village. What if the boy by happenstance arrives in her world and she views his strange spaceship as the obvious home of the monster.

I'm imagining a play on him wanting to maintain this wall around him in the spaceship that protects him from the outside world while she is trying to do all she can to break through this wall so to speak to confront the monster. I'm just imagining in my head this kind of scene where he's kind of flabbergasted but intrigued by this strange being trying to break into his spaceship. I imagine her with this fierce kind of Joan of Arc kind of determination trying to do whatever she can to try to essentially commandeer this ship and slay the monster. The funny or interesting bits would be the two conversing with each other as each are opposed to what the other is trying to do. He's confused but somehow curious about someone wanting to make contact so to speak with him in his protective bubble while she is viewing him as the monster she must slay but at the same time intrigued by this strange person and machine. Perhaps it could happen early in the game and he escapes, but then the two realize their mistake and spend the rest of the game trying to reconnect.

Total brainfart and probably stupidly cliche, but that's what just popped into my head.

I think it is safe to assume that the two stories will intertwine in some way or another. Second, I believe Tim mentioned shifting between one and the other. What we dont know if its based on checkpoints or on-demand. If the case is on-demand then there has to be some sort of puzzle element, which would lead me to believe that changing something in one world would affect the other. That will be some crazy gameplay if it is the case, and something unique to this game.

Sign in to follow this