Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pietbrush

References to other games, movies or tv-shows

I always like adventure games who have references to other games, movies or tv-shows in them.

Especially when there from a completely different era.

I hope they put a lot of them in this game.

Wich is your favorite reference in a adventure game (or any other game)?

Mine are all the Indiana Jones references in MI 1 + 2

My fave is definitely Cobb's Loom pitch in the SCUMM Bar in MI1...well, either that or the option to have Guybrush say "I'm Bobbin Threadbare. Are you my mother?" after he gets shot out of the cannon.

My fave is definitely Cobb's Loom pitch in the SCUMM Bar in MI1...

I loved the reference to that AND Grim Fandango in CMI, where there is a skeleton in the chicken shop place,that looks exactly like Manny with a knife in his back, and his hat says "Ask me about Grim Fandango"

full23.gif

also the X-Wing in the swamp in EMI is a favourite of mine too.

2067.full.jpg

One of my favorites is in Abe Lincoln Must Die (one of the Telltale Games Sam & Max episodes) where on arriving at the White House, Sam notes that "Well, here we are standing in an open field west of the White House." Which, if you've played it, is a very obvious reference to one of the earliest (but certainly not the earliest) text adventures, called "Zork", where you start "in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door".

An awesome one was in Day of the Tentacle where you could actually play the original Maniac Mansion inside the game on a video counsel thingy.

But yeah, references are nice, but they do become dated, so choose them wisely.

"Lost for years in the mist. Oh how I hate that blasted mist"

"Oh? I like mist. I think it's pretty."

"Oh sure, mist is pretty, but egad is it dull."

Conversation between Guybrush and the lost Welshman from MI3

Monkey Island 1, on Monkey Island, in front of the Giant Monkey Head

In the original, there is Sam & Max as an idol statue.

In the special edition, it is instead Purple Tentacle.

Monkey Island 2, on Booty Island, inside the Costume Shop

In the original, there is a Max costume hanging on the wall.

In the special edition, it is a Purple Tentacle costume.

The Longest Journey had a few references. There is April's toy monkey that she calls Constable Guybrush. There is an intersection in Newport of Calavera Crossing and Threadbare Lane. And, when April tries to find out where Brian Westhouse lives from the map merchant, the merchant turns Westhouse into West-of-House (a Zork reference).

In Sam & Max: Chariots of the Dogs, Future Sam is in a wheelchair that resembles Davros' (Doctor Who).

In Sam & Max: Moai Better Blues, among the rubbish collected by the Bermuda Triangle on Easter Island is a life preserver from the SS Minnow (Gilligan's Island).

Every episode title of Sam & Max Season 2 is a movie title (and book title in the case of ep. 4) reference: Ice Station Zebra, Mo' Better Blues, Night of the Living Dead, Chariots of the Gods, and What's New, Pussycat?.

In Ultima VII: The Black Gate there is a Kilrathi fighter parked in a field east of Britain (the farmer accidentally killed, then deliberately ate, the pilot).

In Ultima IX, near the moongate circle, there is a standing stone surrounded by carrots. At the top of the stone is a broad ovoid segment surmounted by what look like very long, upright rabbit ears. The head part vaguely resembles Max's. It could be Bugs Bunny if you squint. It might just be a random rabbit-like figure, although it would be kind of pointless if that's the case.

Monkey Island 1, on Monkey Island, in front of the Giant Monkey Head

In the original, there is Sam & Max as an idol statue.

In the special edition, it is instead Purple Tentacle.

Monkey Island 2, on Booty Island, inside the Costume Shop

In the original, there is a Max costume hanging on the wall.

In the special edition, it is a Purple Tentacle costume.

There's also quite a few examples of Manny Calavera in the special editions as well. I particularly remember his face in a pillar in the tunnels underneath Monkey Island in the first game, as well as Manny's face in a picture hanging on the wall in Governor Phatt's mansion in the second one.

Sign in to follow this