Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ijustloveyou

What if you explored new areas of a game world like a blind person?

I feel like if anyone could make this into an awesome adventure game, it would be doublefine. What say you?

4qCbiCxBd2M

Some might say that RTS games already have their "fog of war" kind of exploration, but what if loud objects were heard first, and other objects had to be felt to "see" what they are? It could be scary if the game designer wanted it to be, or cool and cute like this film.

Very interesting concept!

Have you heard of Blindside? It's quite a similar concept that's described as an 3D audio adventure without any graphics.

Blindside is slightly different than I would imagine it would be based on that great video but very fascinating!

It is founded through Kickstarter by the way.

http://www.blindsidegame.com/

In the Infocom game Suspended, you were locked in a suspended animation unit and interacted with the game world through several robots, each with different sense capabilities. Only one robot could see, and it was broken at the start of the game. Technically, of course, you're blind in nearly all Infocom games since all but a few are text-only, but in Suspended you don't get visual information (such as 'you see a telephone on the desk') until that one robot can be repaired, and until then you have to rely on descriptions of sounds, or the flow of electricity, or magnetism, or touch to accomplish what you need to do. So, in a sense, a game you play blind has already been done, but only as a text adventure. For that reason it may not capture exactly what the first poster had in mind.

This idea reminds me of Devil's Tuning Fork, where you use echolocation to find your way around the world and solve puzzles.

It is not a classic/traditional adventure game, but it does have a story.

It's freely available for download. You should probably stay away, if you're prone to epileptic seizures, but otherwise go give it a try -- it's short and it's worth experiencing.

It kinda reminds me of Closure, a puzzle game with an original twist; it may not be complete blindness, but it simulates limited and light-sensitive view. I haven't played the PSN version, but a prototype is freely available on your browser, eg on this website

Sign in to follow this