Double Fine Action Forums

Nope, disagree, i think you are being inconsiderate. I don't think most restaurant owners are stuffing their pockets at their employees expense, in some cases this may be true, if you know a restaurant like that, avoid it. Running a restaurant is pricey, and often very competitive.

If you don't see how waiting tables is tough work, you maybe should do it for a month or two, trust me, you'll sleep like a rock at the end of your day.

I'm not saying other jobs aren't hard, but you probably also get payed more than minimum wage.

hey i worked a job for a year where i can guarantee you i busted my ass just as hard as any waitress. with no friggin' tips too. don't try to tell me about tough work.
And if you'd had a shitty job as a waiter, you'd have complained about lousy tips.

hey i worked a job for a year where i can guarantee you i busted my ass just as hard as any waitress. with no friggin' tips too. don't try to tell me about tough work.
And if you'd had a shitty job as a waiter, you'd have complained about lousy tips.

no i would be complaining about getting paid a lousy wage

Well, how ever - if we ever meet, let's not go out eating together, i'd be afraid of rat poison in my milkshake. xD

i go to a small chinese buffet near my school, and since it seems like the owner of the place just runs the whole thing herself, i don't feel inclined to tip... I just bought their 10 dollar buffet, dammit. And shes getting all that profit from doing all the jobs herself.

15% is basically being cheap as far as I'm concerned. For standard service I think 20% is about normal, but a lot of it depends on how classy of a place I'm eating at. Barring crummy service my rule of thumb at any place where you get seated and the waiter brings you food (not like a buffet and forget takeout) 20%. If it's a place where you have to get dressed up I tip at least 25% and if you need a tie to get in or if it's a semi-private restaurant more like 30%.

And what kind of restaurants are people going to where the service is so bad that they don't want to fork over 15%? Some cheesy pseudo-fastfood chain restaurant?

If I'm going out to dinner then it's not to get value on a meal it's to go someplace nice, but I guess people who eat out all the time are more stingy.

it's not about being cheap. it's about the principle. ok.
Don't forget that we determined Bill grew up pretty rich I think. I think that makes a difference whether he thinks it's cheap or not. Hell, I have never even been or seen a restaurant were you have to dress nice and wear a tie and shit. Is this a regular thing?

Don't forget that we determined Bill grew up pretty rich I think. I think that makes a difference whether he thinks it's cheap or not. Hell, I have never even been or seen a restaurant were you have to dress nice and wear a tie and shit. Is this a regular thing?

There are 3 restraunts in my hometown where they have dress codes. One of them is $75 per plate. It's probably the cheapest one.

A tip should reflect the service.

If you think tipping is some global conspiracy to make you pay a waiter's wage then don't go out to eat.

You pay more for service and atmosphere, you can always save money cooking for yourself.

It's really that simple. If you think your server earned five dollars, give them five dollars. There is no set standard and there shouldn't be. Five dollars could mean more to someone than another, and they have the right to leave what they feel. Now having said that, a low tip or no tip is telling your waiter "You didn't do a very good job." If that's the case, you tell your waiter they didn't do a good job and you speak with a manager. Now if they did a good job and you still give them a low or no tip, you tell your waiter, "Hi, you did a good job but I don't believe you earned anything in return from me because I don't employ you."

Business is business and if you can't do that, take your business elsewhere. In the restaurant business that is what a low tip/no tip means. The same way a proper chef would notice if his plates are coming back empty or not. Empty means people enjoyed the food, obviously.

So yes, as customers you are doing it wrong. It's a two way street and you are required at least an adult amount of decency and responsibility.

the nicest restaurant i've ever been to is probably olive garden. lol. i can't complain too much though since i had a pretty comfortable lower middle class upbringing
Same for me. I don't think I have ever in my lifetime spent more than $15-$20 on a meal (splitting or taking a ticket for more my girlfriend doesn't count.).

A tip should reflect the service.

If you think tipping is some global conspiracy to make you pay a waiter's wage then don't go out to eat.

You pay more for service and atmosphere, you can always save money cooking for yourself.

It's really that simple. If you think your server earned five dollars, give them five dollars. There is no set standard and there shouldn't be. Five dollars could mean more to someone than another, and they have the right to leave what they feel. Now having said that, a low tip or no tip is telling your waiter "You didn't do a very good job." If that's the case, you tell your waiter they didn't do a good job and you speak with a manager. Now if they did a good job and you still give them a low or no tip, you tell your waiter, "Hi, you did a good job but I don't believe you earned anything in return from me because I don't employ you."

Business is business and if you can't do that, take your business elsewhere. In the restaurant business that is what a low tip/no tip means. The same way a proper chef would notice if his plates are coming back empty or not. Empty means people enjoyed the food, obviously.

So yes, as customers you are doing it wrong. It's a two way street and you are required at least an adult amount of decency and responsibility.

i don't think it's a global conspiracy, i just think it's a stupid system. also restaurants in many other countries on the globe don't make you feel bad when you don't tip. i want to tip to feel good, not tip to avoid feeling guilty. why not factor the price of service and atmosphere into the food prices?

(read my posts. i do tip well whenever i eat out. i know that not tipping punishes the server. none of that means i have to think it's a good system.)

I live in an area where wealthy tourists regularly come through and buy $2,000 paperweights. Or 20,000 sculptures. There are more art studios than bars downtown. >_>

I just don't eat out that often. I mean my butler and personal chef get paid a salary anyway so why bother going somewhere else?

Obviously I was kidding about that. On the subject of restaurants with dress codes, one time I went to this place to meet someone and I was underdressed so they gave me a loaner jacket and tie for the meal (it's actually gotten more casual since then and they don't do loaners anymore):

http://www.morys1849.org/Home.aspx

I can't even afford the appetizers there, I only go to fancy restaurants when I'm taking someone on a date or when my parents are paying for it. One time my dad even took me to a place with cloth napkins I was like omg.

I just don't eat out that often. I mean my butler and personal chef get paid a salary anyway so why bother going somewhere else?

oi, richie rich ove' er' think's he's funny! we'll sees how funny you is once i's give ya a paddlin', we will!

oi, richie rich ove' er' think's he's funny! we'll sees how funny you is once i's give ya a paddlin', we will!

Why paddle when you can sail?

250px-Futurama_106_-_A_Fishful_of_Dollars.jpg

I live in an area where wealthy tourists regularly come through and buy $2,000 paperweights. Or 20,000 sculptures. There are more art studios than bars downtown. >_>
That sounds a lot like Santa Fe. Bunch tourists come around here to buy "exotic" southwestern art.

Edit: or Madrid and Taos, they get a lot of "art" tourists there too.

Man every time this topic comes up anywhere on the internet I'm terrified of going to some restaurant in the US and not being used to tipping, and not knowing what the hell is an alright amount and then the server gets pissed and gives me that nasty buttcrack olive like I read on reddit one time

Man every time this topic comes up anywhere on the internet I'm terrified of going to some restaurant in the US and not being used to tipping, and not knowing what the hell is an alright amount and then the server gets pissed and gives me that nasty buttcrack olive like I read on reddit one time
Why would that happen? You are supposed to tip when you leave/when the check comes. Unless they recognize you as a bad tipper or are a giant asshole, then they wouldn't have an opportunity to mess with your food.

Tipping is supposed to be for good service but no you pretty much have to tip.
If a waiter is being a grumpy asshole then I wont tip. So no you dont HAVE to tip

Why would that happen? You are supposed to tip when you leave/when the check comes. Unless they recognize you as a bad tipper or are a giant asshole, then they wouldn't have an opportunity to mess with your food.

they could notice you gave a bad tip and scream in a barely audible pitch to alert the person who stands near the door who will stealthily and ever-so-gently slide an olive into your buttcrack as you leave

It's mostly the being recognized as a bad tipper part

I agree with hot about the system being really weird though. It's like, you're SUPPOSED to tip. Every time no exceptions, if you're too poor to eat out without tipping then gtfo. But it's not required by law, it's not illegal to not tip, and you don't really know about the tipping thing except for when your friends tell you you were being a big jerk for leaving a low tip. It's not like restaurants put up a sign that says "Please remember to tip your server! 15%-20% is an acceptable amount, but we would gladly accept more!", or servers being allowed to say "Here's your bill total, but a tip of x% would be greatly appreciated", you just have to have this innate knowledge about tipping.

I don't really know though, I've never been to the US. Still seems really weird

Sign in to follow this