Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

Making the Episode

Just joining in the general thanks; it's interesting to get the background to the episodes like this.

As someone else said, the DF episodes and the posts on the backer forums alone would have been worth what I put into it so far, let alone the game too. Is there a way to increase my pledge? ;-)

Excellent information guys.

I have done a small amount of video work, nothing serious, filmed the kids School plays over 4 years, and that was an absolute nightmare - in terms of data/editing etc, so i have a tiny idea of what you guys must be going through. I used a Cannon XM2, nice bit of kit, always wanted to do more with it, but never had the time (or skills).

Just recently got back into it all, and got FCPX, so trying to start from scratch again. So its great to hear in detail how you achieved what you have so far, and getting the more technical details.

Looking forward to seeing the next video :)

Is there a way to increase my pledge? ;-)

Unless you also want to change your reward, just sending the extra money to their PayPal account (the one which was opened when they announced the slacker backer program) should do the trick. (If you don't have PayPal, I guess it would become a bit more difficult...)

Is there a way to increase my pledge? ;-)

Unless you also want to change your reward, just sending the extra money to their PayPal account (the one which was opened when they announced the slacker backer program) should do the trick. (If you don't have PayPal, I guess it would become a bit more difficult...)

Unfortunately we can't allow people to upgrade their reward tiers since a lot of the physical stuff has already been ordered. Thanks for the sentiment though! Tell your friends, that'll help.

Wow,

Very impressive amount of content being collected. It must be a hell of a job to colate it all. let alone edit it.

How many people have you got working on it?

Great work, 2PP! I hadn't realized how much effort goes into making a single 20 min documentary. I think all the videos so far have been fantastic so kudos to you guys!

You should always use some form of mount when filming. Otherwise, the footage just looks "off." that could be anything from crooked to shaky, and everything in between or combined. Quality camera mounts include a leveler bubble. Even if the shot "looks level" human brains can subconsciously tell when something isn't level, and while they might not think, "that looks like the tripod wasn't level" they will probably think, "something is a bit awry about that camera angle."

Cool Post!! Interesting to see your perspectives on how you determine what to focus on for the doc. I didn't realize you guys had such crazy schedules! Keep up the good work, Ep.4 was amazing!

Great post! I was wondering; Are the vimeo videos going to be kept on the internet or will they be taken of the web at some point? Also, could they be released in addition to the SD version of the series so that all backers, including those who only paid $15, would be able to watch the series at least at 720p rather than at 480p? It would also allow those who paid more money who want a smaller file size over additional quality to have another option for downloading the series instead of the 1080p version. You could take a leaf out of Humble Indie Bundle and release it through bittorrent so that the cost of distribution will be greatly reduced.

First of all let me warn you that my English might be weird (I'm from Portugal and our education system is not impressive).

I absolutely loved your insight on how you produce the videos, I'm a social photographer and I also make movies, mainly weddings and such, so this was a really interesting thing to read, mainly because the movies are very well done and I follow your work for quite some time, now being able to "see" how you do it was an unexpected surprise.

I'm still editing on SD (Yes I know we're already in 2012...), mainly because the investment to HD was very big to support before and there was not interest on HD by the costumer (there still isn't to be honest, it's crazy how uninterested by tech moste people are), but now it seems anything can edit HD footage, I always used PC/Premiere and I was thinking on going MAC and FCP now, but I was afraid I'd need a MacPro tower to do just that, since lot's of HDD space are needed and lot's of power to render effects to, but you said you're using iMacs to edit the footage?... Is an iMac that capable? Can FCP stream the data from external discs fast enough to edit the footage without hiccups? I'm so confused right now... Even on the SD era a very powerfull PC was needed to edit video on a decent and efficient way... yet by reading your post, I gained the confidence I can go HD without loosing my skin? xD

Thank you for your hard work, I'm glad I'm a backer not by the game itself but by all this community and communication with such dedicated and passionate professionals!

Nice update Levering_2pp,

I enjoy every video, great job 2 Player Productions!!

It seems to be a fine line between what will be put into the monthly videos and what will be in the final documentary. Will there be any repeated footage or information between the two? I really appreciate what the you guys a Two Player Productions are doing here, keep up the good work!

DAE think Paul Levering looks like Michael J Fox and that's why they have to use tripods?

I think he looks more like Lee Odama's elf cousin.

It's cool to see how you guys manage to put this all together. I'm constantly impressed with the quality of the episodes and its nice to get an idea of all the work that goes in to making them what they are!

Love the episodes and really enjoyed reading the making the episode post.

However, I'd like to ask what kind of specifications the audio mix and mastering are done with. It seems like if I turn the volume high enough to actually hear all the dialogue, the moment it cuts into 100% music the volume level goes up like crazy. Is this on purpose? I could understand it if this was aimed for a theatrical release, but since it's just online a lot of people are probably watching these in somewhat noisy environments (office, living room, etc.). I hope in the future you'll maybe have louder dialogue and quieter music?

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing your hard work.

It may be too soon to ask this, but when the game is out, will you guys be releasing a spoilery version of this documentary? Because as much as I liked these episodes, I find it would be a lot more insightful if we knew more about the game than just it's main premise.

It may be too soon to ask this, but when the game is out, will you guys be releasing a spoilery version of this documentary? Because as much as I liked these episodes, I find it would be a lot more insightful if we knew more about the game than just it's main premise.

No thank you, i want to play the game withouth stuff getting spoiled in advance.

No thank you, i want to play the game withouth stuff getting spoiled in advance.

yeah, me too. Thats also why I'm going to try very hard not to play the beta. I really want to completely immerse myself in the final polished game.

Let me repeat this again: It may be too soon to ask this, but when the game is out, will you guys be releasing...

Either way, you aren't forced to watch it, I just think it would be more interesting to see the game's development while seeing more stuff about the game. I'm really looking forward to how they treat this in the following episodes now that they've entered the production phase.

Let me repeat this again: It may be too soon to ask this, but when the game is out, will you guys be releasing...

Either way, you aren't forced to watch it, I just think it would be more interesting to see the game's development while seeing more stuff about the game. I'm really looking forward to how they treat this in the following episodes now that they've entered the production phase.

Ah didn't read your post well enough I see. I'm sure they can put out some spoilery outtakes on the DVD/Blu-ray after the games release

Just wanted to say that you guys are doing an awesome job - loving all the updates, so glad i backed at a level that includes the final doco!

Movie making ofs are full of spoilers and detailed explanations on how stuff was made. So I am definitely expecting a documentary about the making of the game, showing the progression from early script to story thumbnails to concept art to alpha to beta to final.

Otherwise, what is the point of the documentary?

Sign in to follow this