Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 4: Walking Around in Our Drawings

I couldn't help noticing that you kept silent about the "Butt slapping zone". Wonder what that forebodes.

Additionally, it occurred to me that Scott Campbells art style is similar to Kate Beaton's (of "Hark, a Vagrant"). Both Scott and Bagel are actually listed amongst her friends on her website. Seems like an awesome circle of friends, anyway.

Man... I'm an ex-illustrator working as a game designer and I think this video just changed my life...

I <3 this whole project so much that a long series of exclamation marks is all I can do to express my joy!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, also thank you for sharing some intimate moments... always having a blast watching thos episode... I hope after I played the game, I can come back and watch them on the internet again... really great to be a port of this!

Beautiful stuff. All this artwork just makes me want to cover my bedroom with prints from these guys.

Also this is the most concrete idea of the stories that we've had so far. I wonder at this point if the two stories are relatively seperate for the whole game, or if they will eventually intertwine in the way Tim originally said. Because they sound REALLY distant at the moment. It'd be incredible to see how they're brought together.

I'm so excited to play this thing.

The first thing i want to know is, How big is that TV! :o either Tim is small or TV is Big :P

Posting here as well so it might get seen:

Anyway, I have a question for Anna: Where did you get that collar you were wearing in episode 3? I've been looking around for something like that but haven't had any luck.

Looks awesome and really fun. One thing though. I wish, and I'm not a hardcore-feminist-type-guy, that you'd have at least one female artist in the mix. Not just to have her there, but I think a female might give some interesting input and cool art that comes from her life experience. Gobbledygook? Perhaps.

EDIT: All the guys seem super cool. Look forward to seeing their work in the game. :-)

Does anyone else suspect that the monster menacing the girl's village is actually the boy's spaceship?

Also, I think it's obvious that the boy is a robot and the girl is a human shaped arrangement of kittens.

Wow really great and refreshing to see the the artwork dictating the design direction. That doesn't happen very often in this industry.

Very inspiring!

Mud room, made me think of waste room, waste room on spaceship, where all the bad radioactive sludge goes.

I haven't posted here yet, but I had to say that, though I've greatly enjoyed all of the documentary so far, this episode was absolutely incredible. An unwavering smile of joy was spread across my face from the time the first painting was shown to the end credits. Absolutely cannot WAIT to see where we go next on this crazy adventure!

Awesome episode ! As an artisti I really loved what you guys did with this episode, explining the creative process. You nailed it !

Also the art looks REALLY good

This guy's too young, that's wrong... I love that one... Those are freakin' me out...

I think the most amazing thing about this whole project is that it shows how little (graphical) artistic talent one needs to have to make games -- and how little technical talent an artist has to have.

It shows how people work as a team to get something accomplished, how not to be an army of one. Amazing.

This was by far my favorite episode yet. Amazing work guys. The subject matter is something I've always wanted to know more about, and the amount of detail put into it was fantastic.

I have been following the development documentaries very closely and I am even more impressed now then when I first started playing Double Fine games. I strongly believe that this type of perspective into creative development is almost as important as the final shipping product and I am very proud to say that I helped make it happen! After seeing this episode, and rewatching the previous ones, all I can say is that I want to buy a bulk package of printings from the concept art of the game. I want to frame them and put them up everywhere, all over my apartment. I want to be able to rifle through hundreds of the paintings for years to come so I don't ever loose this amazing feeling I get just by watching such an amazing group of people. Your work is truly inspiring to me and has helped me better organize myself around a project I am currently leading. Thank you Tim, Thank you DF, Thank you 2PP, and thank you to all my fellow backers for making this amazing project happen for such an amazing group of people!

Its so awesome to see how the game and art style is developing. Its going to be great to re-watch this episode after the game is made and see how these early concepts shape the final design.

On a different note, does Peter Chan not age?? He looks the same now as he did 20 years ago. While I think Tim just got hairier! ;-P

Lovely to see so much concept art. I know that it's intentional that we don't know certain things about the story, but at the moment it takes a lot of imagination to guess how these disparate ideas could blend together.

Also, our hipster lumberjack friend is rather more represented than we were previously told to expect.........!

Posting here as well so it might get seen:

Anyway, I have a question for Anna: Where did you get that collar you were wearing in episode 3? I've been looking around for something like that but haven't had any luck.

sent you a pm :D

Amazing. Best episode yet!

One thing that was touched on in this episode but not explored in depth is the technical challenges of translating these concept drawings into actual animations - the parallax, rim lighting, shaders, etc. I would love to see this in more depth later in the development process when that actually starts happening on a large scale!

The more I see of Double Fine, the more awesome a workplace it seems to be. :-D

Now I am really jealous about Peter's home... hope I get something like that some day too!

Great things to see and nice glimpses into the story!

For now: My favorite episode!

Sign in to follow this