Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 4: Walking Around in Our Drawings

Getting to know the artist were reeeeeally great.

I love the direction. And I really hope that audio implementation will be there all the way, to back up all of this visual awesomeness!

One question though: Why don't you use more wide-angel (or what's it called) lenses for the tight indoor-shots?

Supremely awesome! Best episode yet! I find this concept art stage to be one of the most interesting, anything can happen! Really nice to 'get to know' some of the artists more, too. All's looking good form where I'm sitting. Exciting.

The documentary is the only reason I backed DFA (besides my burning desire to have another quality adventure game while giving a "up yours" to naysayers of the adventure genre). I have not given any input because I trust the team implicitly with the game itself, but the process through which Reds is birthed is supremely interesting.

On a side note, Peter's working process reminds me of my own. Except I have to travel further to get to communicate with nature because I live in (and work from) my apartment in the city. Someday, I'll get a house closer to nature. Someday.

Best episode to date!

So inspiring.

Thank you so much for sharing the creative process and personal moments with us.

Absolutely amazing! I love seeing the background behind the artists and their work on DFA. This is the best episode yet! I do have a question though:

The music 2PP uses in these episodes is fantastic! I would love to find some way to get it as a soundtrack. I don't know any of the legalities behind getting a soundtrack from a documentary or if it's possible from 2PP's end. but If at all possible I would love to find a way to get ahold of the music you guys use in these episodes. it is really good stuff. along with everything else you guys are working on.

Amazing stuff, Double Fine! So excited to see more from everyone. And an amazing job from 2 Player Productions for the documentary. Love the direction everything is going in! Keep it up!

The music 2PP uses in these episodes is fantastic! I would love to find some way to get it as a soundtrack.

The documentary soundtrack is part of the $30 tier. I suppose it'll be available separately as well.

The music 2PP uses in these episodes is fantastic! I would love to find some way to get it as a soundtrack.

The documentary soundtrack is part of the $30 tier. I suppose it'll be available separately as well.

Terrence Lee retains rights to sell the music himself, we encouraged him to offer the soundtrack for everyone once the project is finished.

I gotta agree with everyone else here, this episode is quality! Backing this project has already been fully justified for me.

Also, Tim's conviction to have Nathan Stapley's art style shape the final look of the game is spot on. At times in the episode he seemed protective of showing his work, but afterwards when the camera cuts to what he's come up with it is brilliant. In the early prototypes with rough animations and first-pass lighting his flat brushed style already works beautifully.

Best of luck to the whole team. I think this project is gonna be a great success!

The person doing the recording in some of these shots which aren't so planned should change the aperture. Bokeh is nice, but many of these shots aren't in focus, and bokeh is a bad thing when the subject isn't even in focus.

Sacrifice the blur in order to get a clear subject, or put some practice into focusing quicker and more accurately. Even consider just a slightly smaller aperture.

---

The video was good and the video looked otherwise great!

Fantastic episode. Loved seeing the work spaces of the artists and seeing all the concept art come together. The documentary alone has made backing this project more than worthwhile. Keep up the great work guys!

Episode 4: Walking Around in Our Drawings

...Meet other backers! Wear your backer shirt! And have fun!

Hopefully us larger fans (2XL, 3XL) will actually have our shirts before PAX.

Amazing. I'm so glad I went for the artbook! I also liked the length of this episode and hope the future ones will be like it. I prefer the wait if this is what comes of it.

I backed even though I dislike the idea of this kind of funding. I did it because I (other than wanting another adventure game from Tim) figured the documentary material might be worth it on its own.

It pretty much is. This type of insight is great.

Also, Bagel seems like he might know a thing or two about recreational drugs :-)

Great episode. Very interesting insight into the visualization process. Hope they get good scans of everything discarded for the art book, etc. And it would be cool to play in that lumberjack world, even if it's not a part of the actual game.

wow, for me as a programmer, these art jams are like "how the hell are these people doing so much cool in such a short time?! it looks so awesome!" its great to see so much from such a productive meeting. ive been pausing a lot just to see every little bit of info. also, scott would be an awesome travel agent. selling barf zone was quite a feat.

nice detail with peter still not crumpling his rejected drawings before throwing them into the waste basket.

"tim...chopping wood." oh dear, so tim is actually the hipster lumberjack. omg!

tim should teach bagel the proper, ronnie james dio way of throwing horns :PPP.

btw, the music for these two episodes stands out quite a lot. its really well done. however, ive noticed that again, sometimes the focusing takes so long that the interesting stuff that is happening on screen is too fuzzy (im not talking about the intentional blurring out!). two great episodes anyways.

It's fascinating watching all of you dreaming up weird fantasy worlds. The drawings are great and each artist take on adventure just adds to the excitement of what I know is going to be something special.

Thanks for the peek into your talented minds, the view is wondrous...

this is just getting better and better, loved how we got a glimpse at how the artists actually live

makes me wanna get out my wacom tablet and draw !

Fantastic ! The drawings are just amazing. I particularly like the "woman/hair cave" it's really cool !

I already can't wait for the next video !

PS: Is it me or Tim is Bruce Campbell's twin brother?

however, ive noticed that again, sometimes the focusing takes so long that the interesting stuff that is happening on screen is too fuzzy (im not talking about the intentional blurring out!). two great episodes anyways.

We have the lenses wide open most of the time to get more light, if we close them down to get a wider focal plane we make the shot much darker. Bumping up the ISO in the camera makes the image brighter but adds noise to the picture. It's a constant back and forth.

Just wanted to say that these episodes are amazing. I didn't think I would enjoy these half as much as I do.

Also, are there any openings at Double Fine?

Also, are there any openings at Double Fine?

http://www.doublefine.com/jobs/

Like pretty much any other dev out there, you'd probably have the easiest time getting in as a programmer. Most of their other openings have steeper requirements.

Regardless, if you really want to work for them, no matter what position you're interested in, get in contact with them. Never know what'll happen.

however, ive noticed that again, sometimes the focusing takes so long that the interesting stuff that is happening on screen is too fuzzy (im not talking about the intentional blurring out!). two great episodes anyways.

We have the lenses wide open most of the time to get more light, if we close them down to get a wider focal plane we make the shot much darker. Bumping up the ISO in the camera makes the image brighter but adds noise to the picture. It's a constant back and forth.

yeh, ive understood that from the explanation you gave me in the "Making of the Episode". what im saying is, that sometimes the focus misses the interesting stuff and takes way too long to get where stuff is happening. i dont know if anything could be done with that though. im not a film maker...

Seeing Bagel's designs for the Hipsterjack's world makes me want to explore so badly. Make that game next. MAKE THAT GAME NEXT.

I love "Be Yummy".

One theme I was really noticing in some of the concept pieces was a "hanging" vibe, with the mass at the top and limbs, tentacles, etc draping down.

The windblown wig-hill reminded me of a level from World of Goo.

The concept of the treehouses with ziplines and domes reminded me strongly of Whispering Rock Psychic Summer Camp.

What a pretty episode this was. I really enjoyed how you followed the guys home and to see how they work and what inspires them. Really good work 2PP. I hope you keep at it. The length of the episode was very nice. Trying out some other transfers between scenes then the fade to dark, as it's been happening a bit often. Try something new fresh. One of the best episodes to date i think. I had a big smile watching it all through.

Can't wait for next episode or subquest. Tack och hej leverpastej! *Swedish*

Another backer here who hasn't posted much to date, but who was totally blown away by this doc episode. There was much, much goodness here - keep up the great work!

yeh, ive understood that from the explanation you gave me in the "Making of the Episode". what im saying is, that sometimes the focus misses the interesting stuff and takes way too long to get where stuff is happening. i dont know if anything could be done with that though. im not a film maker...

It's really hard.

Sign in to follow this