Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 4: Walking Around in Our Drawings

Its great to meet the artists. Everyone on the team seem like great people. I'm looking forward to learning more about everyone else.

This was a great episode! And a long one with a lot of different content! 2PP pulling out all the stops. =]

I was initially really interested in the documentary to learn more about the sausage-making, but the sausage-makers are completely stealing the show. In this episode in particular, it was really great seeing how much the DF artists absolutely love art. Not just making art for games---although that, too---but just ART. They all love it and yet they all seem to approach their work tables with a different manner, philosophy, and reverence.

Peter seems so chill and deliberate. There is something very buddhist and/or spiritual about his preferred work environment, his conscientious chipping away at the image, and his practice of burning his art once it is completed, like the destruction of a mandala. That's so damn cool.

It was interesting when Scott---who I have always imagined as a sort of free-spirited cartoonist kind of artist---showed us some of his random inspiration images he's saved. He seems drawn to images that aren't just imaginative, or fun, or "cool", but images that are thought-provoking or that stir up some kind of emotional swell in him, even if he can't explain quite what the feeling is. It made me wonder how he translates some of the feelings he receives from those drastically different styles into his own distinct visual language.

Probably my favorite thing about this episode, though, is watching Bagel taking everything in. He seems like a super laid-back and incredibly genuine dude, which I completely appreciate. The habit of just slapping some canvas on the wall and painting on it? That's like a drummer who just starts beating the hell out of his drums before any music starts, or if he's not near his drums he just bangs on whatever junk is lying around. WHO CARES. I GOT A RHYTHM IN MY HEART. IT'S DRUMMIN' TIME. Only, you know, it's Bagel so it's painting instead. Oops, I metaphored for a second there. Sorry. But also he just seems so genuinely stoked to watch his artwork come to life and form a moving/breathing world.

People are interesting, and their joy is contagious! Good episode! See you for the next one!

That was a fantastic episode! Some really nice stories and insights there from everyone involved. I was entranced for the entire time! Thank you for making my Wednesday brighter!

Am I the only one thinking they should explore Norwegian trolls? They seem to be onto some sort of idea of a large animal that has trees growing on it and stuff. I love those really gargantuan trolls that are actually entire hills or mountains, only they've been relaxing for a while (which in human terms is like several thousand years) and trees and other organic matter has grown and died on them for eons until they've essentially become hills or small mountains.

It would be pretty cool to have something like that in a (the) game.

I mainly backed this project for the game, but this documentary series is really shaping up to be something really special. :D

This is the best episode yet. I totally feel like the pledge was worth it just for the documentary, even if that wasn't what I backed for.

Also, this should be called "Low Depth-Of-Field: The Movie."

My favorite episode yet! The footage from Peter Chan's studio/hideaway was incredibly inspiring. Double Fine has always done a fantastic job of showcasing the huge amount of concept art that goes into creating their games, and this is no exception! Keep up the great work, everyone! :D

Also, can't wait for all these PAX events!

Cool! How can you not be creatively inspired by that kind of art? It must have been great fun just being there filming or whatever--seeing ideas come to life like that.

this episode was awesome!!!! I just have one tiny question, where can a get the Rubick Prisma that Tim is holding???

This is the best episode yet. I totally feel like the pledge was worth it just for the documentary, even if that wasn't what I backed for.

Also, this should be called "Low Depth-Of-Field: The Movie."

Yeah, that's sort of the curse of the low budget documentarian or VJ of this age. DSLRs have roughly S35 sensor sizes, only without the benefit of proper lighting (too expensive/time consuming), so the DOF usually turns out ridiculously shallow.

It's certainly a style that can be interesting, but I feel that a lot of documentary stuff is needlessly shot on DSLR rigs that would probably look better on a smaller sensor (it certainly would be easier to compose images without focus issues, pulling focus on DSLRs is a nightmare). Though the problem has always been price.

Thankfully there is a small revolution going on now, so within a couple of years you'll see loads of affordable video cameras like the Blackmagic Cinema Camera or the Digital Bolex that completely blows the DSLRs out of the water in every aspect.

These episodes are coming along so nicely! I don't think I've ever been this excited for a game to be released! The art is amazing and the team is great. I'm so happy :D I'm really looking forward to what's to come. Thank you so much double fine and Two player productions for this amazing experience.

Okay I take back all of my complaining. This was a really great episode, and I can't wait to see more.

At 39:06, one the three artists is painting a Möbius strip, and beside on the table, we can see an open book of Moebius's Arzach!

I think Moebius is one of the greatest Franco-Belgian comics artists, and it warms my heart to see him as an inspiration for the artists working on DFA!

A lot of the art looks inspired by Miyazaki, especially the monsters whick look straight out of Nausicaa. I think I saw an Art of My Neighbor Totoro book in the video.

I loved the kid in the spacesuit. I think my heart broke when Tim said it was too young.

Strolling around in the artists' heads was fantastic. Great ep.

I really hope Lumberjack and The Bear meet Caveman is in the artbook or done seperately in some way.

I mean I'm loving everything else and I love the whole idea of being raised to be a winner of some random lottery only to discover you're a sacrifice which forces you to become a hero being backaed against someone raised to not have to do anything for himself till human nature makes him discover he can be a hero. I think the message will be that heroes are born, not made... or something about how free will is inheret and that we can always make our own destiny and that by having two different stories instead of one this will ingrain it.

I am also going to assume that the weird fantasy world the girl is on is actually one of the many alien planets the boy can visit. But who knows?

I do know Lumberjack and The Bear meets Caveman is the shiznitz and I want to see it full screen in 1080p. Or something like that. Hrmm... thinks about another section of the video.

I was intrigued by the contrasting lives of Peter and Bagel. Peter had a nice cabin and has generally enjoyed a very fruitful career. Bagel was living in a small NYC studio. I make zero judgments, of course, but it makes you think about how hard it must be to be an artist and really break through to the point where Peter is. Bagel was so cool, though. Loved his humor and attitude.

Very, very, very good episode. It was awesome to see how different artists work. Have to get my artists friend to be a backer and show him this.

I was intrigued by the contrasting lives of Peter and Bagel. Peter had a nice cabin and has generally enjoyed a very fruitful career. Bagel was living in a small NYC studio. I make zero judgments, of course, but it makes you think about how hard it must be to be an artist and really break through to the point where Peter is. Bagel was so cool, though. Loved his humor and attitude.

Buying a Farm house in 1997 in Portland is about equal to getting a two bedroom (that is not a studio, it just wasn't filmed properly... it's not big, but it's not tiny) in prime New York City Alphabet City real estate in 2009.

I'm not even remotely kidding.

Not to say anything in comparing Peter or Bagel's careers... but Peter didn't get his first major film job till about the same year as the farm and I'm betting he got the farm for a song price.

It's in this seriously remote location of the USA, off of Victoria, Canada. It's beautiful. but not many people would want to be so remote. AT least not full time. Although it seems Peter has made it work with his job that being remote is perfect. I think being an artist or writer are the only careers in which one could live so remotely and thrive.

I thought that was intriguing as well, sadly they did't explore that.

Bagels appartment was indeed comical tiny, but he probably pays more rent monthly than Peter.

The villages are extremely expensive,never understood why people wanna live there.

Probably because of the artsy community,but other boroughs have nice places to live,too.

Everything I've seen from the concept art so far assures me this will be the fantastic adventure game I had in mind when I backed the project. Without having puzzles or dialogue spoiled I'm as close to assured in this game being a true successor to the fantastic adventure games of a previous decade as it's possible to be :D

A lot of the art looks inspired by Miyazaki, especially the monsters whick look straight out of Nausicaa. I think I saw an Art of My Neighbor Totoro book in the video.

Not to mention the pictures of Kiki's Delivery Service on the Wall of Inspiration!

Well, this episode was just wonderful. Especially the sequence on Peter Chan's island.

Also:

gyllenhaal.jpeg?w=170+ carell.jpeg?w=172= bagel.jpg?w=179

Sign in to follow this