Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 4: Walking Around in Our Drawings

I really liked this episode, I liked the previous ones as well but this one stands out, I think it might be because it comes across as more personal than the others. I guess it lies in an artists nature to be very open about themselves.

I like the direction this game is headed as well.

I was intrigued by the contrasting lives of Peter and Bagel. Peter had a nice cabin and has generally enjoyed a very fruitful career. Bagel was living in a small NYC studio. I make zero judgments, of course, but it makes you think about how hard it must be to be an artist and really break through to the point where Peter is. Bagel was so cool, though. Loved his humor and attitude.

I thought that was intriguing as well, sadly they did't explore that.

Bagels appartment was indeed comical tiny, but he probably pays more rent monthly than Peter.

The villages are extremely expensive,never understood why people wanna live there.

Probably because of the artsy community,but other boroughs have nice places to live,too.

Yea, I didn't mean to imply Bagel's place seemed 'poor' or 'inexpensive'. I know he has had his fair share of success, too. I guess what I meant was that artists and designers almost have to thrive on a certain element of adversity in their lives. And of course apartments in NYC are ridiculously expensive compared to what you can buy in more rural or suburban areas. Nevertheless, there are artists out there who struggle immensely. Many of them live in places like NYC because that's where the exhibits/galleries/opportunities are. It makes for quite a competitive environment.

Sorry, I probably don't know as much as other people on this matter, but I just wanted to share these thoughts! I really admired Bagel's attitude. I equally admired Peter's story. It was just an interesting dichotomy of two vastly different artists' lives.

Also, are there any openings at Double Fine?

http://www.doublefine.com/jobs/

Like pretty much any other dev out there, you'd probably have the easiest time getting in as a programmer. Most of their other openings have steeper requirements.

Regardless, if you really want to work for them, no matter what position you're interested in, get in contact with them. Never know what'll happen.

I'd love to work for them, but I live in Vancouver,Canada :P

I do find that the actual game development process very interesting. Most of this video was on the art, which is something that you can't figure out by poking around the game assets and scripts. Why are things colored a certain way? Why did they go with certain artists styles, what did some of these things look like before they were part of the game.

I noticed at 10:12, they're looking at the last panel of http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/archive/page-124/ only without the text bubble.

This episode was full of that strangely heartwarming feel the whole documentary has been giving off so far. I love it. It's also making me want an art book even though I normally don't care much for that sort of thing.

I think the best part of this episode is going to be rewatching it when the game comes out, seeing which concepts made the cut and how they evolved from there. Bagel's "this might be the girl" comment made it sink in how some of the many drawings could eventually turn into key elements of the final game, not to mention everything still leading up to it.

Fantastic episode! Can't wait for the next one, obviously :]

The art world and mindset is so new and strange to me that I felt like watching a deep sea life documentary. I don't know how long was the art jam, seemed like 2-3 days, but it's amazing how much you did there.

Could you please tell me more what exactly is going to happen with these drawings (in the short time)?

Is it for Tim and Lee eyes only, or will the whole team be free to use it for inspiration all the time? Maybe the team will get to work with the images one by one depending on what they are doing?

Is this phase of development fully finished or there will be more jams like that?

Lastly: I love the shot at 20:00. Feels like best holiday memories.

EDIT: Oh yeah. I found the answer in the sidenotes at the 43:00 mark. Sorry. Still, would be interested in reading more about the process of using the concept art.

Ooh. Ooooooooh. First of all, I really, really like the music for this episode. It was very emotion-making, if that makes sense. Specially when paired with the nature drive and such.

Also this episode is pro'bly my favorite just on account of it being an art episode, which is something that I like. It's really useful to see how they go from ideas to more concrete ideas, and rather relieving to know that they throw things away and go through cycles. I really hope that those grassbeasts and wig mountains make it into the final game, though, because they look amazing.

Also I was withholding judgement on the bone animation until I saw it in action, and, having seen it in action, I think it will do nicely, thank you.

Great job on a double-long episode, 2PP!

-Mimi.

Oh man. This Video makes me so happy. Thanks a lot to you guys for giving us this highly inspiring look into your working life.

Awesome.

:)

This is my favourite episode thus far. It's really great seeing all that talent doing their stuff, processing out the needed elements of the game world.

I really did love this episode. It's good to finally see the face of the man, Peter Chan, who created so many great pieces of concept art for some of the best games I've played in my lifetime. Massive respect to you fine sir and to all the artists on this project. As an outside observer, REDS seems to be progressing beautifully and I can't wait to play it.

While watching this episode one thought crossed my mind - DAAAMN I want to get my hands on 2HB! A bit of a stretch to ask but I'd love to get some tutorials on 2HB using MOAI after the game launches.

If that Lumberjack isn't an easter egg in the game somewhere than I think we are going to have a problem.

somehow I expect this game is going to be easteregg heaven for backers :D

Another interesting aspect of the artists:

Peter Chan's style was more 'peaceful', organized, structured in approaching his art.

Bagel's approah was more spontaneous, like having the random canvases on his wall.

Neither better than the other. Just different styles suited to different personalities. I find this kind of stuff intriguing.

I'd love to hear from someone on 2PP if this is the interpretation they intended!

What a fantastic episode!

I especially loved the part about Peter Chan, because after all I grew up with tons of his artworks, knowing his name, but I've never actually seen him or hear him talk about his work. So this was a special treat!

Also, have you guys a 2PP thought about entering Sundance Film Festival (or other festivals, for that matter) with this thing? The whole doc I mean (although it couldn't be shown completely, of course). But a documentary this massive, while still maintaining this level of quality (content-wise and technically as well)... there aren't many productions like this!

It's really hard.

ok, i understand. anyways, the two episodes are great. youve clearly put a lot work into them.

btw its also funny how youve talked about boom mics in the "making of the episode" and there happens to be so many of them in these two episodes. i dont think its a problem. it makes the documentary a bit less...detached from whats happening. it looks more like a real working environment than an elaborate setup.

Hey there guys!

So I was wondering if there would be a chance to purchase original concept art at PAX.

I will be attending this year and would like to chance to buy a piece of the DFA/Project Reds experience.

Unlikely that this would happen, I am still wondering none the less.

-Kelly

Man, I've always been a fan of Peter Chan but seeing him working in his studio just made him the coolest guy I know. I'm extremely jealous of his life right now. Good to know he's wokring on the project as well!

Probably my favorite episode so far.

Thank you for the episode, amazing documentary! I would like watch more of Ray's work (animator) in the future. patience

I'm still half way through this episode and I had to stop and come here to give all my Thanks and appreciation.. This idea.. the documentary accompanying the creative process behind this game and the people behind it is seriously one of the best things to happen in the game industry... Come to think of it.. Not just the game industry but the entertainment industry as a whole!

Thank you guys and gals of Double Fine and 2PP! Thank you

Wow, 43mins! I love to see these episodes getting so much room to breathe, especially with so many interesting people and topics to discuss.

Loving the crap out of Bagel's art, it's got a really stark, otherworldly vibe to it. Can't wait to go adventuring amongst it!

This is the best thing I have seen on a screen in YEARS....

The epidose is pure gold. From the beginning to the end. I'm so excited about this game.

Probably my favorite episode so far. Loved seeing the art getting made and I have to say I was awestruck by how easy it seems for those guys to draw their ideas on paper in magnificent detail.

I see I'm not the only first post in this thread.

STUNNING episode. +1 For love of Peter Chan's island.

I don't really participate in the forums or read much of the updates but just the regular documentary episodes have more than justified my backing price so far!

Great work guys.

I was excited to hear one of my location ideas mentioned, bummed I didn't get to see it, but it was still totally cool to hear it.

Also, I must agree with Tim. (of course he and Ron are two of my all-time heroes do I'm apt to agree anyway) All these guys are amazing artists, and while some artists may be "technically more skilled," Bagel's art style is so unbelievably intriguing on a level that makes me want more of it. It's such a unique style that really is within its own league.

I don't suppose I could get a picture of any concept art based on any ideas that I had that may have been drawn (I'd be more than happy with a picture taken from a cell phone). It'd just be cool to remember that something that I dreamt of was drawn by a pro. I don't even want credit, just to see it would give me such immense joy.

Wow, Peter's story about his father saving his childhood drawings was really touching. Sounds like a great guy.

Yeah impacted me also. Small glimpses into someone's life. May he rest in peace.

Great episode. Really enjoyed it. Keep it coming!

This was awesome. I'm going to be kinda dissapointed now if any of this doesn't make it into the final game. Especially the bunnies.

If that Lumberjack isn't an easter egg in the game somewhere than I think we are going to have a problem.

somehow I expect this game is going to be easteregg heaven for backers :D

Great episode guys. I absolutely loooove all the art.

I actually had a dream last night (im so not kidding right now) that I was playing this game. The boy wanders into a virtual reality room and when it tranfers to the next room its a scene right out of grim fandango. Manny says "hmm I think im stuck on this puzzle". The computer says "would you like me to dowload a walk through" (the ships computer sound like siri) and the boy says "no, ill work it out by myself, how about a different game while im thinking about it". "loading..." Many turns into... a lumberjack !!! EASTER EGG GAME!!!

Im pretty sure there was more but thats all I can remember.

To wrap up: A couple things...

19:59-20:02 - Oh my god! That could just about be an image out of the game its so beautiful.

39:23 - who the hell are these artist and how did they manage to so perfectly capture my childhood nightmares. This is exactly how I used to see kites when I was little.

41:25 - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! When Tim first mentioned that the kid grew up on a space ship and has always been alone I just assumed they were going to have a (music building)... MONTAGE of him growing up on the ship, showing him wandering its empty halls, showing transitions of him growing older to the point where the game takes place. That sort of idea would be great for this, even if only shown for a couple seconds.

I cant help it. Like Tim I see just one of these images that strike me and a whole damn movie goes off in my head. Ive already played twenty different games just watching this video but somehow I dont think my imagination could quite throw up anything like what these guys are going to produce... Its going to be amazing, and I cant wait.

All the episodes so far have been fantastic but this one was even better.

Wow!

Tim watching all those concept art drawings was a true moment of epicnessicity. If there ever was such a word. Probably not but there is now. :)

btw its also funny how youve talked about boom mics in the "making of the episode" and there happens to be so many of them in these two episodes.

once I noticed the first, they suddenly were everywhere :D still great episode, especially the de-tours.

I think the different ways they organize their work are fascinating.

Peter likes to touch the pictures in books, Scott fires up the internet... this episode was somehow touching.

I am a proud baker, every day more and more. :-)

Sign in to follow this