Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 4: Walking Around in Our Drawings

This causes so many emotions in me. I turned 36 the other day and I've spent my entire life trying to get good at drawing, painting, 3d, programming etc. I lost my job as a software developer a few months back and I'm in a really bad place right now. I look at these artists living exactly the life I want and the sadness that comes with the fear that I might never make it... well just makes me want to kill myself.

What a great episode! Such talent and interesting people. Would feel satisfied even if the game itself got cancelled. :P

I hope the artbook will contain some of this early concept art that perhaps will not make it into the game but may have inspired some aspects of the game. Also I really hope that it will be signed by Stapley, Chan, Campbell and Petty (oh and Tim of course). This episode is so great I'll have to watch it again right away.

Fantastic episode, perhaps my favorite to date! To see all of these talented guys sitting in one room and just painting was awesome. The art looks very promising and unique. Also loved the trips to the artists' homes, Peter Chan's house in particular. That image of Tim cutting wood was priceless, wonder what happened in that next photo. Maybe he did a really embarassing pose or something. It looked really hot in Bagel's apartment, though, the way he was sweating :).

Seeing the image from Kiki's Delivery Service on the wall (and the Art of Totoro book on the shelf) was really cool, as I am a huge Miyazaki fan :).

Excellent episode. I've always been curious about the way the DF artists work, particularly Peter Chan whose name I've always seen scribbled under many of my favorite LucasArts / early DF concept drawings. Just wanted to say thanks to Peter, Scott and Bagel for allowing access to their studios - all of this stuff is really interesting.

Keep up the good work, DF and 2PP!

This causes so many emotions in me. I turned 36 the other day and I've spent my entire life trying to get good at drawing, painting, 3d, programming etc. I lost my job as a software developer a few months back and I'm in a really bad place right now. I look at these artists living exactly the life I want and the sadness that comes with the fear that I might never make it... well just makes me want to kill myself.

Believe in yourself, follow your heart, know that with passion anything is possible.

Think of all the fantastic episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm and Seinfeld that Larry David wrote. Think of all that brilliance. There's no doubt in my mind, that at some point, Sir Larremy Geneus David also felt like killing himself.

But he persevered.

I think Peter Chan is my new favourite person. The man's inspiring.

Best episode yet. Starting to get unsure as to whether I'm spoiling things for myself or not by watching these.

OMG,

I am very impressed of Peter Chan. He looks like someone who EXACTLY KNOWS what he is doing. I think he is a very very very creative mind and i cant wait to see his art in the next double fine adventure game.

Thumbs up 4 Peter Chan.

Great idea to hire him for this Project Tim Schaefer!!!

Maybe the BEST IDEA EVER in mankinds history (Am i overacting? i don't think so, sir!)

Dear god, they are getting better and better. The kickstarter was worth it for the episodes and side quest so far alone.

A lot of love for Peter Chan here, and I agree his segment was very interesting. Personally my mind's much more in tune with Bagel's chaotic, impulsive approach than the more peaceful structured world of Chan, but it was fascinating seeing those contrasting perspectives.

My favourite moment came with words from Scott Campbell though, that it's good to follow all creative paths all the way, rather than shying away before you've even explored them a little bit. It's an important part of the process that I think is forgotten, and I think is why it's really good at this stage to take a step back and let stuff be explored. Projects like this need lots of room to breathe at this stage.

It's so, so wonderful to see this process so intimately. Originally I expected the 2PP thing to be like a DVD extra, but it is clearly a work of art and valuable documentation in itself.

Very lovely episode! It looks like Tim is less "on edge" now that he's got some artwork going on. Hopefully less nightmares eh Tim?

http://arthurgillarsen.blogspot.no/

Arthur Gil Larsen, a friend of mine, great artist, had Peter Chan as lecturer when he was studying in Denmark, Viborg.

Peter Chan, a legend.

I do agree though, that it's about time that Bagel's art style gets the focus for once. So it will be very interesting to see how Scott Campbell, Peter Chan and Lee Petty's styles get intertwined into Nathan Stapley's bizarre and lovely world.

Very cool episode! Please tell me that the octopus wasn't trashed! Didn't see it on the wall afterwards.

I never write on the forums, but this episode... WOW. This is just amazing.

sn3VU.gif

This episode was just awesome. I liked the fact that the artist are having to do stuff differently for us backers (i.e. not throw away things). This is really showing how a quality game is made.

Wow, Peter's story about his father saving his childhood drawings was really touching. Sounds like a great guy.

Very touching indeed!

That was great.

I know people don't like spoilers and stuff, but once the project is in a more advanced phase I would like to see how they work with decisions related with game design, such as the gameplay, the puzzles, the narrative of the story... and I don't think it'll be that interesting if the only thing we're allowed to know about the story is that it's about a girl and a boy. Anyway, we'll see how it goes. Really entertaining stuff so far!

I really appreciate the personal story Peter told about his father collecting his drawings. Should I have a budding artist (or a not so budding artist) amongst my progeny I'll be sure to keep that in mind!

Thank you guys, for making such great videos.

Every single game that doublefine has released has had an amazing art style - this already looks fantastic

Great Episode!

BUT! Why had you to reveal more of the hipster-lumberjacks backstory? Now i want a spin-off game even more than before!

Can't you just make a mini-game out of this?! PLEASE?

But the more i hear about DFA the more excited i get.

And thankyou for doing all this, the Art, the documentary, the game. I love all of it!

I've been thinking about this episode all day after watching it last night! So imaginative and inspirational! Wish I gad Peter Chan's work space though...

A picture says more then thousand words, but honestly, i rather sit and listen to your thoughts for now.

Also, the lacking of focus in this video is... lacking.

I backed today. I was on the fence for a long time because I wasnt sure whether to do it or not. but I'm glad I finally just did it anyway. 15 dollars is totally worth it. What great updates you guys have been making! very nice

Great update guys! Absolutely loved seeing the artist's get-away :') definitely an insightful episode.

Much love from an old Ogre-sized fan.

Sign in to follow this