Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 4: Walking Around in Our Drawings

Is it just me or are all of these videos total fanservice? and I mean that in a good way. =P

32:12 to 31:58 was especially bad, and I was surprised to see it in the video when I watched it, but didn't think about saying anything. 32:20 was fine.
Yeah, that section could have been handled differently (the monitor more than the sketches). It's content we wanted to keep in despite its focus issue, but we'll approach situations like that differently moving forward. Thanks for pointing it out.

Wow, out of the park guys - Fantastic documenting. It's incredible we're getting one of these a month WITH extras.

I think your doing a great job at creating a relaxed and comfortable filming environment throughout your documenting, enough so that it feels like you're capturing everyone's "real" personality, not the phony one they'd put on when the cameras are on them. The cameras seem very transparent in the scenes, and that's a good thing.

Favorite moments from this episode:

-Tim's trip up the stairs - I was exhausted just watching it. :)

-Hug-ers, shake-ers and wave-ers

-Ron being "the nicest we've seen him"

-Is that a drawing of Tim on a toilet with people looking at him through the window at 15:00? Classic.

-Peter's magic island studio

-Bagel being self conscious about some of his work and sweating profusely in his apartment even if it was just coincidental.

-Peter and Tim sharing a bro moment as Peter's heading out - "I know..."

Great human moments.

Is it just me or are all of these videos total fanservice? and I mean that in a good way. =P

That means soon enough we'll get a swimsuit episode.

"Episode 5: Itty Bitty Polka Dot Bikinis"

In photo realistic graphics the uncanny is a pitfall to be avoided yet with Bagel everything has that sense, a surrealism that gives it its charm. So much of that comes from context it seams, to setup scale so we can see that it is not right, to juxtapose things that by themselves are neutral but combined create dissonance. For me I think this is what the Lumberjack lacks. He is charming and his environment is nice but it all gells, there's no dissonance, no agitation.

Now this wig mountain, that captures it perfectly! The large looming figure of the hair caught in what must be a violent wind to move something so large, it would be nothing if it weren't for that lonely quixotic figure beneath it. By themselves, the two are fairly neutral but together they conflict so much that the parts take on a whole new meaning! That's what I am hoping you manage to capture in the game. It's what has captured me so much about his art, what makes it compelling!

Seth

Asif, Paul, I for one think it coheres nicely, blurry images and all. You really excel at the editing side of things and working with the choppy motion that comes from a sudden decision to move the frame or the blur and glare that are inevitable in this kind of filmmaking. We can't all be Ansel Adams waiting days for the perfect scene to drop in our lap. I'm sure a million others were right behind him if he had only spun around and looked!

I'm totally enjoying this documentary, immensely more than I thought I would. I'm stoked to have found 2Player and Terrence and Bagel and Scott and the entire Reds team.

Tim, you have surrounded yourself with some talented and inspiring folks!

Seth

That was an absolutely amazing episode! Well done! Getting to meet Peter Chan, who created some amazing worlds that were a part of my childhood was truly wonderful. I hope we get a Peter McConell episode about the music in the ame at some point too.

Is the final release of the videos (I.E. the downloads) going to have the content that was blurred un-blurred?

Good question waiting for an answer.

Congratulations, excellent episode, is always amazing to see the creative process, I hope it will be more of this in coming episodes.

Gracias!

@SethB: I think DanCaptain is talking about the "censored" parts of the video - not the out of focus parts ;-)

Talking about out of focus parts - I too had the impression that the DOF war going on in this episode was much stronger than previously. However, I understand that you know the causes of this and are working to reduce the effect in the upcoming episodes.

OoOoh DAT BOOK lying around on the concept artists table! "Taboo - the art of tiki", I have a feeling that if I ever get a copy, I'll be riding monkey island vibes through each page. (Seems pretty rare, though)

The episode is very neat, maybe a little TOO neat! I'm starting to feel like I'm spoiling my experience of the game by getting a premature first impression : /

Even though it's been said dozen of times: that was an awesome episode! Thanks to everyone participating and documenting this!

A very nice episode. I didn't like the Part 1 and 2 thing however, as they came back to the art jam at the end, so it didn't really feel like they needed to go to another part. I also wish we could have seen more of the two New York artists. We got a lot of Peter, which was awesome, and he is a legend, but we didn't see as much of the others.

@SethB: I think DanCaptain is talking about the "censored" parts of the video - not the out of focus parts.
I didn't actually notice any censored parts; unless my sarcasm detector is broken. If there were any, will they be uncovered in the final version?

These episodes are getting progressively better. This is my favorite so far, but I definitely liked you all talking about the coders in episode 3. =)

Outstanding episode. Truly inspiring stuff as right now at work we are in the concept phase on our next title as well as on my own personal project, this video couldn't have come at a better time.

I'm curious how long of a visit did this art jam take? 2-3 days? 2-3 weeks?

it lets me listen while looking around, something I like to do in real life.

Thanks, I think you've phrased it very well. For the artist studio tours in particular, we really tried to make the shooting style mirror the way we naturally take in and look around environments when there aren't any cameras around.

I'm really glad that this is intentional and not just a side-consequence of the style. It's natural to the point where I don't notice it and just enjoy it. The fixed camera style that I'm used to just won't cut it for me anymore.

I guess that's the point though, conversations feel more personal and like I'm there. Immersion should be the goal.

That was such a fantastic video. I just want all of that art!

This is why I became a Slacker Backer! And this is why Double Fine are so wonderful.

And I have discovered many new artists to love!

INSPIRED!

yes, excellent docu, excellent soundtrack, excellent artists, excellent everything! :) i'm always anxiously awaiting the next installment in the documentary! :) my favorite series atm ;)

Updates gives me hope to live another month.

I dont know about you guys, i used to dislike the opening music, but now i find it therapeutic coz awesome things happens after it.

I thoroughly enjoy this episode. Loved to see how this process actual works, what people are thinking, feeling and doing etc.

Makes me feel like being a part of the whole thing, which is awesome!

Really looking forward to episode 5, hope there's more 'real work' in the next one like in episode 4.

I'm so happy I backed you guys, you are awesome, keep up the great work!

Excitement has been raised to the tenth degree! Love the whole surreal art approach Bagel brings to the table. It's going to make this game unique in the best possible way!

@SethB: I think DanCaptain is talking about the "censored" parts of the video - not the out of focus parts ;-)

Oh yes, I didn't mean the censoring. I was referring to the focus issues! Just unfortunate timing on my part to have my comment be so close to DanCaptain's question.

Please, please, please, no Barf Zone.
I kinda dug the idea. It's the "creatures vomiting other creatures" bit that got me as, apparently, I'm a total sucker for fractality.

This episode is great no matter how many times I re-watch it. Love where the artwork and game in general is headed, too.

Sign in to follow this