Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 4: Walking Around in Our Drawings

Just to clarify, I was talking about the pieces of art that were blurred and the post-it notes that were blurred to prevent spoilers.

Great insight, we now know all the people behind the pencils!

and btw, Peter Chan's the man! :coolsmile:

I hope he could get some more space in your next videos.

damn, so many variations on rubix cube everywhere. i wonder why there is not a suggestion for a rubix cube inspired "level"/part of the game.

though, i wonder if sashas mind from psychonauts was inspired by rubix cube...might have been...

Wow the Videos are getting better and better!!

This is by far my most favourite episode!!!

It's great to see the artists workings spaces and where they gather their inspiration from!!

As someone who has been drawing since he was a kid, this is my favorite episode so far. All the concept arts are feeding into my head and I have these ideas that I want to churn out of my Wacom.

BRB drawing.

I loved the episode. You showed us just the right amount of information to wet our appetites without giving too much away. Forgive me if this has already been stated, but I would like to make a theory about the game's plot:

I think that the organic ship that the boy is living inside of is the god/creature that the girl is supposed to be sacrificed to. If you want to go in a dark direction, the ship absorbs the sacrifices' life energy to sustain itself. Or, on a lighter note, you could have an all male planet full of awkward nerds. They created this living ship to bring pretty women to their planet.

Either way, the boy and girl end up working together to destroy/re-purpose the living ship.

I always knew Scott Campbell was a cool dude since I've seen his SModcast piece, but after watching this episode I now know that he's THE MAN! Awesome stuff guys!

I think I just turned a little bit gay for Scott Campbell.

What a sweet, funny talented guy.

Can't wait to see more of what you guys come up with.

Great update. As other said, it was cool getting to see artists at work and how their methods differ.

Also, I must say, I really loved the part with Peter Chan. What I got out of that was that he seems so well balanced and knows not to let his work swallow him up and become his identity. He knows to separate and disconnect when he's done for the day. Not that he wasn't still open for inspiration but that it's important to give yourself a break or you'll hate what you do.

Plus, like someone already mentioned, that story about his dad saving his drawings was pretty touching and that's coming from an emotionless twenty-something year old who never takes anything seriously, haha.

Anyway, I just thought that was really cool. I like what I'm seeing and hearing.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Well, I failed and backed at the wrong level - I would love to be able to download the documentary, this episode in particular. Anyone know if it's possible to slacker-upgrade my kickstarter so I can have access to the videos for download?

Alternatively, will this series be available for purchase after the fact?

Well, I failed and backed at the wrong level - I would love to be able to download the documentary, this episode in particular. Anyone know if it's possible to slacker-upgrade my kickstarter so I can have access to the videos for download?

Alternatively, will this series be available for purchase after the fact?

Even if you had picked the download tier, downloads aren't going to be available until the end.

You can't change your backer tier, but 2PP will likely be selling copies of the documentary when it's all finished.

Loved Peter Chans part. I envy him and his life on all levels :P

I just found this drawing:

133_01.jpg

Imagine a game looking like this!

I really like this episode as a whole, and the Peter Chan section in particular. 2 Player productions is doing a terrific job putting these together, and I already feel an emotional attachment towards the team and Project Red. Truly, I have gotten my money's worth already. Thanks, guys. :)

The level of awesomeness of this update just blew up my head. Literally. I am typing this response headless.

:wow:

:bug:

>*<

So many great artists at Double Fine!!

Looks awesome and really fun. One thing though. I wish, and I'm not a hardcore-feminist-type-guy, that you'd have at least one female artist in the mix. Not just to have her there, but I think a female might give some interesting input and cool art that comes from her life experience.

Agreed. And with the adventure having a girl/boy split in the storyline, seems a logical way to go.

Loved Peter Chans part. I envy him and his life on all levels :P

I just found this drawing:

133_01.jpg

Imagine a game looking like this!

WHOA. Does he have a portfolio website anywhere? That's exactly the sort of art I want to see more of/buy prints of.

Terrific episode, and this one really was a treat to watch. When this whole project is over, I can't wait to share the documentary series with some friends of mine.

Fun pills and sleds once again.

Smiles

Playing through MI2:SE will unlock concept art by Peter Chan.

For the Chan Fan.

I would love to see what Bagel would create if he had a stand-up desk and a zen island.

For the Chan Fan.

I would love to see what Bagel would create if he had a stand-up desk and a zen island.

Hmm, I recently got it on steam, about time for a play-through.

For the Chan Fan.

Hmm, I recently got it on steam, about time for a play-through.

It is best to play twice.

First time with commentary off to fully enjoy the game. There area few times when you will miss the unique commentary if you want to pay attention to the story and voice acting. Or save regularly in multiple slots to allow back tracking to catch a unique Ron and Tim and Dave moment.

This was a great episode! Seeing the rigged lumberjack dude move around was a surprise -- he's way more expressive than I was expecting! -- but the sequence at Peter Chan's house was pretty much a dorky dream come true, after knowing his work for most of my life but never actually seeing or hearing anything about him as a person.

WHOA. Does he have a portfolio website anywhere? That's exactly the sort of art I want to see more of/buy prints of.

Same here! Found only a "wrong" Peter Chan...

Sign in to follow this