Sign in to follow this  
Chief Wakamakamu

"A basic platformer with a ton of puns"

Okay, Lately I have been dealing with people writing off Psychonauts as the above. Obviously, Psychonauts is more than that, but has anyone else encountered people so determined to write off the game that they are willfully ignorant? How do you deal with them?

I recite their review back to them in a sardonical tone, which always makes them see how foolish they have been.

Guys, I know what you mean. Some people don't understand how incredibly awesome and art-worthy Psychonauts is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tY5o0y8mwk

But this guy knows. He hates almost every game he reviews but blew everyones mind (no pun intended) By giving psychonauts the best review so far. Funny too >3(thats the first time I used a symbol)

Addition: Pure awesome, the art of insanity, the milkman. :3

Psychonauts is one of those games that defies description, and that may be just what was so difficult about marketing it successfully.

Even trying to describe it contritely right now, I can only manage:

The concept is something akin to the scifi flick "the cell" mixed with a disney summer-camp flick, but with a unique artstyle, and with amazingly deep character design that pushed it out of the platform genre.

Which falls right on its face in retrospect. The game is an experience that doesn't seem to translate well...

Sometimes it's hard to describe it to people with out having to force them to play it against their will. There's one guy I know who says it's dumb because of the art. Get this: the only thing he's basing this on is one picture of one of the campers. he never bothered looknig into it. Also the only game he plays is Halo. Pfft.

Sometimes it's hard to describe it to people with out having to force them to play it against their will. There's one guy I know who says it's dumb because of the art. Get this: the only thing he's basing this on is one picture of one of the campers. he never bothered looknig into it. Also the only game he plays is Halo. Pfft.

I would slander that wench where he stood. A unique art style always grasps my interest; be it Okami, Psychonauts, Patapon, Viva Pinata, Killer 7-- it matters not, I shall try it. The games industry tends to be really monotonous in terms of art direction, usually opting for the "super-realistic", as oppossed to putting their own traits/character into it. Certainly, realism is difficult to do, not to mention challenging-- but it is not particularly intersting nor original.

I would slander that wench where he stood. A unique art style always grasps my interest; be it Okami, Psychonauts, Patapon, Viva Pinata, Killer 7-- it matters not, I shall try it. The games industry tends to be really monotonous in terms of art direction, usually opting for the "super-realistic", as oppossed to putting their own traits/character into it. Certainly, realism is difficult to do, not to mention challenging-- but it is not particularly intersting nor original.

I agree. If I see something unique, that pops out in a see of "Let's try to look as realistic as possible graphics" then it always catches my eye. Why so many developers choose to make their games so realistic is beyond me. We see that same stuff everyday. It is everyday. Why can't we enjoy something diffrent from our dull (and sometimes good smelling) lifes?

I agree. If I see something unique, that pops out in a see of "Let's try to look as realistic as possible graphics" then it always catches my eye. Why so many developers choose to make their games so realistic is beyond me. We see that same stuff everyday. It is everyday. Why can't we enjoy something diffrent from our dull (and sometimes good smelling) lifes?

The closer they get to realistic the more alienating games get. See Masahiro Mori's Uncanny Valley theory that explains why almost-human-looking robots scare people more than mechanical-looking robots. That's why it's easier to do horror games with "realism" than anything else.

The original Doom went for a look and atmosphere. They went for an artistic result within their reach and nailed it, integrating everything into a single theme. Current games are trying to be movies and they don't know how. FMV of talking heads doing wooden delivery of bad dialog.

Good voice acting with an integrated artistic vision can work wonders. Grim Fandango is an example of a game with poor mechanics saved by well integrated visuals, plot, voice acting. Instead of trying for realism they went for film noir, and did a great job.

"Platforming adventure game with a very unique atmosphere and compelling story."

the end

Good voice acting with an integrated artistic vision can work wonders. Grim Fandango is an example of a game with poor mechanics saved by well integrated visuals, plot, voice acting. Instead of trying for realism they went for film noir, and did a great job.

Well said. I know many are no doubt already sick of it: but I think GTAIV really belongs among the elite in that sense. They have balanced realism with fantastic caricatures; the voice-casting is nigh on exceptional, and thanks to that- the characters seem almost lifelike.

However, I do miss their old character art as the new one lacks style and charm.

Curse of Monkey Island is still pretty much the pinnacle for artistic design. It just had so much character and charm and the backdrops were utterly gorgeous. That being said, ICO/SOTC and Okami are all up there with it.