Sign in to follow this  
DF Nathan

Iron Brigade Support FAQ

Hello, everyone! Iron Brigade a game full of manliness and guns and destruction and love, but also sometimes bugs! Bugs that get in the way of the manliness and the whiskey and the shooting of tubes. If you are affected by a less-than-manly bug, glitch, crash or other defect, please check out this here FAQ before posting. Many users are affected by the same problems that all have easy fixes, which is what this FAQ is all about. If you have read this FAQ and still can’t find an answer for your problem, do a quick search for other threads on the topic here. If that fails, too, then please post a new thread on the problem!

Iron Brigade PC is doing sometheing strange and random and glitchy and none of the specific things below help, what can I do?

Computers are fickle beasts and sometimes things go wrong, but fortunately there are some easy things to try that fix a lot of the random issues. If you post about an issue, very likely we’ll ask you to try one or more of these things first.

* Reboot your computer. It’s a simple thing but it’s amazing how many problems this solves.

* Update your drivers, especially video card drivers. Just don’t try to use beta drivers as they will often cause more problems than they solve.

* Verify the Integrity of You Local Game Cache. You can do this by Right clicking on Iron Brigade in your library, chosing Properties, Advanced, and then clicking the Verify Integrity of Local Game Cache button.

* Manually run the DirectX and Visual Studio C++ (vc) redistributables. This ensures that you have all the support libraries installed that Iron Brigade needs to run happily.

* Try deactivating heavy background processes like anti-virus or malware scanners. On some computers these programs are so demanding that they significantly interfere with high performance games. If this doesn't solve your problem, though, be sure to turn your scanners back on!

I can't buy Iron Brigade PC. It says my region is not supported. What's wrong?

Our publisher has decided that due to limitations in the Games for Windows Live platform, that Iron Brigade PC will only be available for sale in territories that support GfWL.

If you live in an unsupported territory, we apologize that you cannot enjoy the game. If you are unhappy about this, please let our publisher know through Xbox customer support.

When I play Iron Brigade I see lots of strange visual artifacts and can see through dolls and other parts of the world. How do I fix it?

This problem is almost always caused by MSAA being forced on through the video card drivers. Simply set your MSAA settings to "use application defaults" or the nearest equivalent and you'll be g2g. If you're forcing any other settings on, you should probably let the application run those, too.

...This is probably really, really obvious, but how do I launch a mission?

First you have to go to Woodruff and select a mission that you have available. Next, go to your Trench. Here you can either customize it for the mission, or if you're feeling filled with phenomenal cosmic power, just click the ready to deploy option at the bottom.

I can hear music and SFX but no dialog? That's confusing. How do I fix it?

This is very likely because your computer is set to surround output (in your audio properties) but you're playing the game over headphones or stereo speakers. You just need to change your audio output device/properties to match what you're actually listening on and you'll be g2g!

When I start Iron Brigade, I just get a black screen and nothing happens. What gives?

On some people's computers, the graphics drivers compile shaders for a while, sometimes up to a few minutes, before starting the game. You can usually wait through this and then everything will be fine.

When I play multiplayer games, I get kicked a lot. That totally sucks. How can I stopped getting auto-kicked?

If you or one of your friends are getting dropped/kicked a lot, the most likely culprit is packet loss. This can happen on any unreliable internet connection, but is most common on people playing across WiFi networks, especially older WiFi routers or areas with heavy radio interference or WiFi congestion (like an urban apartment complex). For the best experience, we encourage players to play on wired internet connections, but when that's not possible players should look to reduce the amount of interference in their WiFi connection, instructions for which can be found online and in many WiFi router manuals.

Also, if your computer is not powerful enough to run the game smoothly in single player, this bad performance may cause you to be kicked. Please configure your graphics settings such that the game runs smoothly in single and multiplayer.

Sometimes when I play multiplayer games, I get a lot of stuttering/hitching, which is no fun at all. How can I get buttery smooth network play

Iron Brigade does the best it can to work on internet connections of all shapes and sizes, but it can struggle on connections that are highly latent (i.e. playing with friends from all across the world) or on connections with a lot of packet loss (i.e. unreliable connections).

Stuttering/hitching in Iron Brigade is usually caused by very erratic, high latency connections. There's not a whole lot you can do about this, though it helps to ensure that no one else on your network is saturating your connection (like by downloading high res video) while you play. You may also find that it helps to identify players with similar latency and to prefer players that are nearer you geographically. If you see a lot of stuttering and then a player getting kicked/dropped, see the previous item.

You can try to play with fewer players, especially if you have a lower quality connection. Fewer players means fewer demands on your network connection and may result in a better experience.

If none of these things help you and you still have problems, please start a new thread here and tell us about what you're experiencing, who was playing, where they are geographically, etc.

When I press a button on my 360-style PC controller, the game hangs or crashes. Why does the universe hate me?

This crash is rare, but has always been caused by users having installed extra gamepad drivers on top of the native 360 drivers. Iron Brigade should only be played with the native drivers, and supports lots of good stuff like remappable controls and tunable sensitivity settings.

Iron Brigade PC is locked to a max of 30 fps. This makes me very angry. What can I do about it?

As of this writing, Iron Brigade PC is a faithful port of the console version and is capped to 30 fps. There is no way to work around this setting, but Double Fine is trying to find the time to modify our engine to support uncapped rendering. If and when we do this, it will be made available on all Buddha engine games (Stacking, CQ, etc).

Iron Brigade PC requires Games for Windows Live, but I hates it! It burns! Why do you require GfWL? Why?!?

Iron Brigade PC uses Games for Windows Live at the request of our publisher, Microsoft. IB PC uses Games for Windows Live for matchmaking, achievements, friends lists, and rich presence. It also guarantees that fans of IB on the 360 will have a very similar experience on IB PC.

I have an ultra-awesome powerful GPU and want to run Iron Brigade at the absolute maximum quality settings. How can I do this?

First off, select the maximum resolution that your monitor suppors. Then, launch the game with the secret command line options -ssaa2x or -ssaa4x. This will run the game with super sampled aliasing, either double the base res or quadruple the base res. It's the finest anti-aliasing money can buy.