Sign in to follow this  
masquerade

Grand Theft Auto IV (yes... I went there)

So, I know it is highly unlikely that many here shall embrace GTA, because we are all so intelligent. But with the details of online mulitplayer just starting to be released, it certainly sounds like a lark. Now, I am a team player when it comes to games(the shame.) I am not extremely competitive nor do I enjoy going it alone; so I guess you could say I am a casual gamer. So the idea of actually getting together with friends, provided you have them(mine blow and are the kind that never left the sega/s/nes generation) and working together is one that I find difficult to find fault with.

Teaming up online with some DFAF would be an infinite amount of fun, but sadly-- no one here owns a PS3 aside from me and a few vagrant posters. Woe is me. :down:

So, I suppose I should just ask if anyone else is looking forward to this game? Aside from Brütal Legend, Soul Calibur IV, Metal Gear IV and Team Ico's next project-- I have few games to get really excited about, but with the arrival of this new information and the fact a Blues/Jazz station is suppposedly present, GTAIV is certainly high on the list.

GTA may be violent to the core, but it's also very, very funny at times. Writing, graphics, in game actions, whatever.

And all the design nerds, comme moi, will hyperventilate if they pull of the living city idea.

I'll buy it... eventually.

I would pick this up in a second if it was on PC, but it seems Rockstar has foresaken us. I might get a PS3 in the future but it's just unlikely I'll drop down that much money for a console any time soon.

I'll get a 360 eventually so I can play it and a few other games. Just as soon as a get my bank heist plan in order. And hey Bosch is back.

That I am. Rejoice, peoples!

Hey tiffüts I just noticed that you haven't been on Steam in something like 4 months. Ever play the games I gave you?

I did, like 5 times then got bored and moved on. But thanks again.

Teaming up online with some DFAF would be an infinite amount of fun, but sadly-- no one here owns a PS3 aside from me and a few vagrant posters. Woe is me. :down:

I happen to be a poster of the possibly-non-vagrant variety, and I would be happy to team up with you, Masq!

I happen to be a poster of the possibly-non-vagrant variety, and I would be happy to team up with you, Masq!

Huzzah! That is rather pleasing to hear. My PSN is within the friend code exchange thread, should you wish to add me. ;-P

Excellent! I'm not in a place where I can get my code right now, since I'm on my way to the airport. I'll send it to you later on today, though!

(Haa, I just realized the irony of a cop playing GTA. xD)

Heh, that sort of irony is blessed. Apparently the police force is a lot sharper this time round, which sounds promising. Still, should you wish to emulate work, you could always join a game of Cop's and Robber's. :-P

Hey I'll play with you people if they make it so xbox peeps can play wit PS3 peeps.

Hey I'll play with you people if they make it so xbox peeps can play wit PS3 peeps.

Alas, such a thing shall never come to pass. We can but hope that, one day, a single console shall arise that unites us all.

Apparently the police force is a lot sharper this time round, which sounds promising. Still, should you wish to emulate work, you could always join a game of Cop's and Robber's. :-P

Oh man, the police were hard to shake in the third game. (Though the police dialogue was hilarious: "If I shoot him, do I get a medal?" "You get two!")

Still, can't wait for this game. And I'd do the Cops and Robbers game only with friends. Too many idiots with microphones in most "pick up" games online.

I'm looking forward to this game, but I don't have a 360 or PS3 :(

I'm sure it'll come out on PC eventually, but I have a horrible feeling it'll be DX10 only, and I'm not going near Vista any time soon.

EDIT: Just to make this a better post with a smaller proportion of my whining, I should point out that http://www.gtagaming.com/ is awesome and that http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/ is the official site.

I know or just cruise around in the jet flying under bridges and crap. Ohs well maybe next time.

I was kind of disappointed to learn that this one is smaller than San Andreas, because those wide-open spaces were one thing I really liked. Sometimes ya just wanna hop in a pick-up truck and aimlessly drive long distances through the desert while listening to Freebird, you know?

While the countryside was enjoyable, the cities really did feel sparse and lifeless. Liberty City is not that much smaller, map-wise, compared to San Andreas, and it is heavily populated; if they manage to pull of a living, breathing, Liberty City-- then I think you shall forget the vast expanse of nothingness in SA.

I never did encounter the greatness of GTAIII again. When you are being a taxi driver and delivering 50 fares in a row, with some great music and the rain is thundering down: nothing in San Andreas really beat that feeling, for myself, anyway. So, the idea of being able to driver around Liberty City(or even remain parked) in the rain, listening to some great jazz/blues station-- I shall find it hard to complain.

I may end up getting this, though I'm not overly fussed about it. The formula feels a bit samey these days, and I'm worried I'll never finish it. I got bored of SA about halfway through.

I'd much rather get my hands on Mafia 2 than GTAIV, to be honest, as that's looking awesome.

I may end up getting this, though I'm not overly fussed about it. The formula feels a bit samey these days, and I'm worried I'll never finish it. I got bored of SA about halfway through.

I'd much rather get my hands on Mafia 2 than GTAIV, to be honest, as that's looking awesome.

Mafia 2 does look good, but I think I have been more interested in

, which is also from Rockstar.

I was kind of disappointed to learn that this one is smaller than San Andreas, because those wide-open spaces were one thing I really liked. Sometimes ya just wanna hop in a pick-up truck and aimlessly drive long distances through the desert while listening to Freebird, you know?

Hear, hear. Best part of that game. I loved flying, too, and listening to the commercials and DJs. ;)

With how gas prices are, you can't afford to go out and drive around in a real car anymore. Which is sad, since that's how I clear my head.

Right so I decided to go back and try and get 100% completion in san andres. Wish me luck.

I just completed San Andreas again recently (just the story, not 100% [that'd just be daft]). I'd forgotten how ace it is :D

I mucked about a bit more with customising CJ this time, making him a fat biker! Not so urban now, are you, CJ?

Also, recreating Vanishing Point by trying to take fast old muscle cars from Venturas to Fierro with loadsa cops on your tail is fun!

As is sticking some 70s tunes in the mp3 folder and driving Sabres around Fierro, Bullitt-style :D

I just completed San Andreas again recently (just the story, not 100% [that'd just be daft]). I'd forgotten how ace it is :D

I mucked about a bit more with customising CJ this time, making him a fat biker! Not so urban now, are you, CJ?

Also, recreating Vanishing Point by trying to take fast old muscle cars from Venturas to Fierro with loadsa cops on your tail is fun!

As is sticking some 70s tunes in the mp3 folder and driving Sabres around Fierro, Bullitt-style :D

Oh I definitely agree with you there. I like trying to get all the cars on the export list with tons o cops chasing me, Gone in 60 Seconds style.

I think the size reduction is a fair tradeoff if you consider all the new awesome stuff you'll have to keep you busy. San Andreas wasn't that much different from VC.

Edit: Um I was replying to freedombattery, didn't realize this had two pages. Bleh.

Just thought I'd let everybody know that I just got 100% completion on San Andreas. I know, I rock.

Just thought I'd let everybody know that I just got 100% completion on San Andreas. I know, I rock.

I admire your determination; the only GTA game thus far I could stand getting 100% on was GTAIII. GTAIV better match my affection for III, or there shall be trouble.

I just thought I would mention: it is the first title of recent console generations to be awarded 10/10 by IGN.

I know. I needs to get into some next gen action now. And I just realized that my signature is pointless now.

Indeed you should.

Nay, not at all. Look it at this way: it is "stüff it" spelt backwards.

Heh, well, I finished it this evening; it took me just over 35 hours. Hooray for free-time and a lack of a social life. ;-P The ending was a bit anti-climatic, which is a shame. But overall- the main story just took me to just over 60% completion, so now I can explore and drink in the sights.