Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anemone

Our Favorite Places In Games

What are some of your favorite locations in games you've played? What set the place apart from the rest of the game or what about it struck a chord with you?

Doesn't matter if the game is old or new, and it doesn't matter if the game was any good. All that matters is if you liked being there.

Screenshots welcome!

An old example for me would be the midnight level from Ty the Tasmanian Tiger (did anybody else play that game?) I just loved the cool moonlight effect, the peaceful soundtrack just hinting at danger lurking in the darkness, and making my own little fireworks with my incendiary boomerangs. For a new example, I love the Village Bridge in Pokemon Black and White. The music is a lovely, multi-part little melody and the area reminds me of a sleepy London town. Plus, wild Braviary!

McFarlane Ranch in Red Dead Redemption

6056810857_a4994a25d8.jpg

It's just a nice place to hang out and chill... Or cause massive havoc. But unlike a lot of locations in games which I enjoy McFarlane's ranch has a homey quality to it, I visit there after a day of shooting at stuff and it feels right. Also I still nurse a crush on Bonnie.

I prefer Armidillo over McFarlane Ranch, but my favorite place in RDR is Blackwater. I also like Las Venturas in GTA: San Andreas because you can gamble, wreck havoc, buy plenty of property, and drive the best cars in the game.

san andreas is the best cross-country driving simulator ever. mmmm those long hauls across the desert listening to country radio...

i like it when the location noticeably changes over the course of the game. in mother 3 you

start off in a little idyllic town with a communal barter system or something. over the course of the game capitalism slowly corrupts the town and eventually they introduce currency and you have to start buying stuff

. nice! i hate when some big huge change happens in a video game but you only get to see the effects in a shitty little narrated slideshow at the end. those are the biggest cop outs in the history of cop outs.

Phendrana Drifts in Metroid Prime

Phendrana-Drifts1.png

I could name any setting from Metroid Prime. Every single area in this game feels original. Gameplay elements and platforming sequences blend right in with the architecture and environments. The moment you set foot on Phendra, you're welcomed by the most haunting hollow musical score an ice themed area could ever have, at first reflecting the caves, cliffs, canyons and lakes. Followed up by a more mystical sound indicating chozo ruins and eventually more upbeat, a warning for the lurking danger. Vast caves, the hibernating wildlife that suddenly wakes up and charges you. But that is only the tip of the iceberg. As you venture deeper, you uncover a dark space pirate lab. Those pirates may be fearsome warriors, the creatures they're keeping there are the real threat.

san andreas is the best cross-country driving simulator ever. mmmm those long hauls across the desert listening to country radio...

And when its night time with the full moon while listening to Horse with no name on KDST ...5073576134_cc682cfca1.jpg

ROKSTAR, Y U NO REMAKE GTA SAN ANDREAS WITH UPDATED GRAPHICS

I can't really pinpoint any exact places, but the whole setting for Madness Returns was pretty cool:

Alice-Madness-Returns-1042983.jpg

Some of the dwemer dungeons in Morrowind were epic, especially the one in Red Mountain and the ones with Vampires in them:

43192.jpg

Speaking of vampires in Elder Scrolls, I never understood why bethesda did away with the vampire clan quest-lines that there were in Morrowind. I really liked how there were different clans for different questlines depending on which vampire you got the disease from.

And you make the forum uncool because you always double post when you could just edit your post to add something you want to say.

5yHuV.png

I love this TF2 map, its so great looking and sometimes zen music plays in the backround while getting beaten by Saxton Hale :P

Skyrim never quite managed to hook me, and I haven't had any urge to replay it since beating it once, but I really liked the the underground area, Blackreach. I just wish there was more to do down there.

YEUkM.jpg

I love Balmora in morrowind

ScreenShot115.jpg

Best way to reach any city is via balmora, silt strider, mages guild teleport.

And all guilds are here. Shops and quite a lot of people.

That is what i missed in skyrim, bigger cities with more people.

Imo, morrowind is the best elder scrolls game ever and nothing can top it yet.

Witchyworld_entry.png

Witchyworld.jpg

Good ole' Witchyworld! But honestly, I might be able to say the same for pretty much every level in the first two Banjo Kazooie games.

Oh man, I have too many things I want to add to this list. xD It'd go on forever, though.

i like it when the location noticeably changes over the course of the game. in mother 3 you

start off in a little idyllic town with a communal barter system or something. over the course of the game capitalism slowly corrupts the town and eventually they introduce currency and you have to start buying stuff

. nice! i hate when some big huge change happens in a video game but you only get to see the effects in a shitty little narrated slideshow at the end. those are the biggest cop outs in the history of cop outs.

Ever played Terranigma on SNES, hot? Based on the above, I wonder if you'd like it. It's an action RPG that starts off with just one village and a set of dark towers you have to conquer, but once you conquer all the dark towers, the goals/narrative/art of the game change to something more Okami-like, where the Earth is a barren wasteland and it is your job to restore it to life. Initially it takes a natural/evolution approach to the idea, so you go on a quest to restore the plants, then the birds, then the land animals, etc. Once life in general has been restored, man comes to exist, so civilizations start to spring up. You run a few traditional quests for these primitive civilizations (i.e., medieval or earlier), but then you start seeing more advanced ones with industry. At that point in the game, the goal becomes to try and push all the civilizations of men to a 100% economic health index.

It's an action RPG the whole time, but whereas other RPGs tend to just go dungeon, boss, dungeon, boss, dungeon, boss until the very end, Terranigma is neat in that the ultimate object is always evolving. Such a neat little game. Not quite the same as just one place evolving over the course of the game, but it's more of a global change over the course of the game.

I can't really pinpoint any exact places, but the whole setting for Madness Returns was pretty cool:

Ooh, yes. The environments in that game are god damn beautiful. The reviews for it are so-so, and it does have some problems, but I reeeeally like that game. Brilliant artists working on that one.

The castle in Ico.

I duff my hat to you, sir.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like the way you guys mentioned how in RDR and GTA:SA there are certain towns you just like to hang out in. This is definitely true for me as well, and it's also the same reason I enjoy having purchasable homes in Bethesda games. (Especially the two Fallout games. The homes in those were awesome, though I think Bethesda needs to put an item in their games that lets you travel instantly to your home. Like inside. No more of this tedious business where you warp to outside of town, enter town, loading screen, walk all the way across town, enter house, loading screen, finally home, and you'll only need to make this exact trip 9,231,945,917 more times.)

I think a lot of times when I'm playing a game----even if it's a game I really enjoy---I start to get "adventure fatigue". I will find myself in a situation where I love occupying that game world and want to remain inside it, but I have for the moment grown weary of the core loop and want to take a break from the adventure and have the game itself acknowledge and support my role play. My game away from game.

Bethesda is really good about giving you you're own "clubhouse" where you can store all your swag or craft with it. The homes allow you a private, personal place to hangout, but the only thing you can really do there is store things, craft things (I didn't come home to work!), or sit for a while. The towns in RDR don't really give you nearly as much in terms of a personal clubhouse, but there is more to do around town, what with the various mini-games you can play, or you can just find local jobs to do for a while, like going on watch. That's really cool. I know whenever I play Half-Life 2 and am playing The Coast levels, I sometimes wish that instead of just pressing forward, I could hang out at one of the refugee camps and patrol for a day or something.

Aaaanyway. Fallout:New Vegas was a little bit of an improvement as far as bringing some of RDR's strengths to Bethesda towns, because you could stop at a military base or a caravan company and sometimes find someone around the place who would play a game of cards with you. That was pretty cool. No one to play cards with at home, though.

I sometimes feel like I'm the only gamer in the universe who wants places like this in his games. And maybe, economically speaking, they just aren't worth it to put into most games. But man, I would love it if I were playing a game like RDR or Elder Scrolls, and I unlocked my own property, and found NPC friends who would go hang out there if I wanted them to, and while I was home we could all just sit down and play cards, or patrol the town together, or watch tv or listen to the radio. (I have gone to my apartment and just watched my character watch tv for a while in GTA.)

Video game RPGs are very focused on the game part of the RPG, but having little spaces where you can do private, every-day sorts of things like this adds so much to the "role play" part of it for me. Just love it.

Another answer: Skyrim

I think that the whole gameworld in Skyrim is an astonishing achievement. So immersive, so full of live, so much to do. It does get a bit a silly sometimes when you haunted tombs and bandit hideouts just outside the cities and farms, but that´s what you get when you have to pack a whole realm into something that doesn´t take far to much time to get through. I just love to hike around the forests in the game and see the different views. A simple thing like walking your horse up a hill is worth something when the gameworld is so impressive.

I completely agree with The Patient and Koco.

Balmora was sick, and one of the easier places to navigate. Don't forget the boats. I would love to put Vivic as one of my favorite places, but even after hours and hours of playing I still never figured out the layout. So confusing. And Morrowind was my favorite Elder Scrolls game too (haven't really played Skyrim), there were so many secrets and such a deep story. And not being able to fast-travel added to the scale of it IMO.

I am probably the only person on earth who doesnt like skyrim that much.

Going from morrowind to skyrim was downhill for me.

I agree with you Brutal

Altho the story didnt really intrigue me, it certainly was bigger than the other elder scrolls games. Well not bigger than the first one because that was whole tamriel.

Morrowind has more guilds than both oblivion and skyrim. More cities and villages with more npc's overall. More skills, more weapons, more everything. The only downside is, the game is very very buggy.

I am probably the only person on earth who doesnt like skyrim that much.

Going from morrowind to skyrim was downhill for me.

I agree with you Brutal

Altho the story didnt really intrigue me, it certainly was bigger than the other elder scrolls games. Well not bigger than the first one because that was whole tamriel.

Morrowind has more guilds than both oblivion and skyrim. More cities and villages with more npc's overall. More skills, more weapons, more everything. The only downside is, the game is very very buggy.

Well, my thought with Skyrim in this thread was the actual gameworld, not skills and weapons. :) I like the game also, but that feels like a whole other discussion.

Morrowind didn't necessarily seem bigger to me, but there was just more variety in a lot of the game IMO. There were way more one of a kind items and dungeons that really seemed unique. I also liked how the rest of the game didn't level up with you. And I liked how vague the directions were without the map markers.

Here's another one of my favorite places from the Tribunal Expansion:

The-Elder-Scrolls-III-Morrowind-Mod-Museum-of-Artifacts-Improved-Expanded_1.jpg

The Museum of Rare Artifacts had a book that had a description of a couple of dozen rare items that you could actually find in some of the dungeons, though finding them was usually a huge ordeal and it could take hours to get just one. I can probably count on my fingers the ones that I found without a walkthrough.

And from the Bloodmoon Expansion:

ravenrock4.jpg

The settlement that you got to build yourself. And become governer of.

The House Telvanni towers without stairs, but instead had holes in the floor for levitation:

ziirrshome.jpg

And I can't find a picture of it, but the hidden blades hideout that you can only get into at dawn or dusk was pretty epic too.

Levitation was so great in morrowind.

The game world in morrowind is much much more fantasy like than oblivion and skyrim

In skyrim and oblivion it all looks like real enviroments.

Also all the food and the critters were well, real.

Bears, deers, apples, beer and all that stuff we have in the real world.

But in morrowind you dont see any of that, they have interesting new enviroments like the bitter coast region the telvanni regions. and ofcourse the bit too oversized ashlands.

Also the food and drinks are all new original thought up things. Instead of beer they have flin's and sjuuma. Instead of beers and deers they have guars nix hounds.

All kinds of crazy fantasy stuff that is just not there in skyrim or oblivion.

Yes they have iron swords and armour and dragons. Well, i dont mean to be rude but, so does every other game set in this medieval fantasy world.

Morrwind also had throwing daggers, ninja stars, spears and clubs. I also liked the Morag Tang way better than the Dark Brotherhood, I thought they were way more badass. The Great Houses were sick, the Twin Lanterns were cool and I really liked the vampire clans. Also:

1653337-netch_large.png

Flying jellyfish!

Also this is kind of random, but I don't understand why they turned Dreugh into something that lives on land. It was pretty inconsistent.

My favorite place in gaming is . . .

http://www.mariowiki.com/images/5/57/Dinosaur_Land.PNG

Dinosaur Land

While I'm particularly fond of SMW, I can't say that I felt connected to it. Though i wished they used this map layout games that came after. heck you could speedrun through the star world to get to Bowser. Paths take form out of nowhere, hills shifts, a non linear path through the forest. It's the one thing nintendo should've continued in future titles. Unfortunately we're stuck with this Super Mario Bros. 3 layout in the current generation of NEW SMB.

You know what, Nintendo could make original Super Mario and Zelda Titles because each generation brought better graphical and processing power, allowing more complex games. These days however, they're recycling game engines. SMG2, LoZ: spirit tracks and now NSMB2.

Skyrim never quite managed to hook me, and I haven't had any urge to replay it since beating it once, but I really liked the the underground area, Blackreach. I just wish there was more to do down there.

http://i.imgur.com/YEUkM.jpg

But Blackreach is beautiful, it even has a day/night cycle. there's

nirnroot quest, the hidden dragon, geode veins, falmer, dwemer robots and even a giant.

However I expected more of a city structure with houses within the giant cave, instead of having Dwemer cities connected

I need to try to finish the main quest so I can get down there. -_-;

it's only a little over halfway the main quest

edit: You don't have to do the main quest at all. The Key you need will be provided for another quest in blackreach

Sign in to follow this