Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DanB

Broken Sword - The Serpent's Curse Kickstarter

I don't get why people were so adamant for the old interface. Seems everyone is blinded by nostalgia that it causes them to dislike anything "modern".

Plus the new interface functions basically the same. So I guess people wanted low-res inventory images along the bottom in a gray bar?

As far as I'm concerned the first BS is the epitome of good interface design for simple point-and-click adventure games, it just got everything right, it was simple, intuitive, subtle and, above all, comfortable. Every time a game, with that type of gameplay, tries to mix things up even a little it only gets it worse - for example, by having the inventory obscuring part of -or even the entire- screen, by increasing the required number of 'clicks' to perform an action that should be done for less or by requiring the use of keyboard when is shouldn't be necessary. Broken Sword 3 had a particularly bad interface for pc users, while BS4 was far better but still pretty uncomfortable.

The gameplay of these point and click adventures haven't evolved much since SCUMM and other similar systems were introduced. This is not necessarily a bad thing: it allows developers to focus their creativity on story and puzzle design instead while, by using a conventional good interface, they allow the player to be as comfortable as possible. (Which is probably a big reason why adventures usually have far better stories than any other game) I'm all for experimenting with new creative, ideas for the gameplay but if that's not what the game wants to to then messing up with the ideal interface is a really bad idea and has nothing to do with nostalgia.

The final tally, including Paypal, is 819k. Not bad at all, especially I was guessing the final to be a bit over 700k.

There was an enormous rally at the end, I took a look at it before I went to sleep and it was 15k shy of the 800k goal. In the last few hours they managed to make about 34k which is crazy.

Paypal is what put them over the top, they started offering the option when the Kickstarter met its goal. And they got more from me because of that option.

I'm glad it pushed past 800k and fell short of the million goal. I want Beneath a Steel Sky 2 to get its own thing. They have not closed down their Paypal page http://www.revolution.co.uk/kickstarter/paypal which makes me wonder if they are going to try a final push for it though.

They are still taking pledges via their Paypal page, for the people that want to get involved in their backer forums when they open up. The Paypal allows you to still get the backer awards, however it will close soon.

Sign in to follow this