Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Asif Siddiky

Making the Episode: Peter Chan's Island (extended cut)

Peter Chan kind of reminds me of Obi Wan Kenobi... only beardless, more Asian, and quite possibly a better draftsman... Though I've never seen Obi Wan draw anything, so that's pure conjecture on my part...

@2PP:

I really hope you guys consider adding this stuff to the final Blu-ray/DVD, if only as bonus content (as the shorter version fits the complete episode better). Still there are some really nice tidbits in there which I wouldn't want to see missing from the disc(s).

After seeing this, I have to say that the pumping of the lens is really exhausting for the eyes. I know the depth of field blur is actually really nice, especially for scenes without much movement, but in some shots there was just too much and the refocusing became kind of annoying. Maybe its just me after working for 10 hours in front of a computer but sometimes a camcorder is more relaxing for the eyes... don't get me wrong I really like movies shot with dslrs but here it was a bit too much imho.

But I enjoyed you video, just as all the others, very much... keep up the good work!

Really interesting stuff, Peter is amazing and I was glad to see an extended cut of this sequence. Looking forward to more of these!

I am really pissed at myself for not pledging at the level where I would have gotten the hardcover art book after watching this.

Hopefully it will be available also for non-$500+ backers (perhaps at the $250 we gave for it implicitly?). I know I wouldn't mind. It would probably also help to get the per unit cost down (alternatively make it an even more awesome book with really good binding etc).

I am really pissed at myself for not pledging at the level where I would have gotten the hardcover art book after watching this.

Hopefully it will be available also for non-$500+ backers (perhaps at the $250 we gave for it implicitly?). I know I wouldn't mind. It would probably also help to get the per unit cost down (alternatively make it an even more awesome book with really good binding etc).

We're only doing the hardcover of the art book for the $500 backers, but it will be available in other forms to everyone. Digital is for certain, and a soft cover edition is something we'll have to think about.

@2PP:

I really hope you guys consider adding this stuff to the final Blu-ray/DVD, if only as bonus content (as the shorter version fits the complete episode better). Still there are some really nice tidbits in there which I wouldn't want to see missing from the disc(s).

We'll fit as much as we can on it.

We're only doing the hardcover of the art book for the $500 backers, but it will be available in other forms to everyone. Digital is for certain, and a soft cover edition is something we'll have to think about.

Thanks for considering this about big artbook hehe! : D for me it would be the soft cover edition then, since i like more to have that beautiful art in my hands! : D

V.

Did you pledge enough to receive the digital art book?

Oh yay! Thanks for this post. I always love seeing extended cuts. I also really enjoyed the shorter segment. Can't wait to watch this one. ^.^

Just got the update, but wow great new Extended info! Love it.. Hope you guys revisit Peter as it was a real treat to see him work and the Island. Big + on information how you guys work. It's always welcome and interesting how things work behind the scenes.

Thank you so much for this extended version.

These 11mins justify all the money invested, to be able to catch a glimpse of secluded and inspiring environment where Peter creates.

It's also super nice to see the rare interview with the guy whose art is a big influence on my pursuit of art career. Great stuff!

I have to say that this cut is much better than the one in the episode.

2PP tend to focus more on inspiration, influences and whatnot. What I liked in this cut was a lot of "how it's done".

I'd like to see more of "how it's done"/techniques/workflow, and less of standard interview stuff about the meaning of life.

Show those people at work, not just them talking about work. That'll be great.

Whats that last note about Japan/Sweden about, any story? =)

Peter speaks about it in the episode--the dual inspirations of Scandinavian and Japanese architecture on some of his concept work for Reds.

@2PP:

Maybe after everything is over, do a $10 bonus disk with a bunch of stuff that wouldn't fit :)

@2PP:

Maybe after everything is over, do a $10 bonus disk with a bunch of stuff that wouldn't fit :)

Interesting idea, kinda weird but i like it. We'll think about that. I could see people being upset if they got the set and felt we left stuff out on purpose, but we're just going to have to see how everything comes together in the end.

@2PP:

Interesting idea, kinda weird but i like it. We'll think about that. I could see people being upset if they got the set and felt we left stuff out on purpose, but we're just going to have to see how everything comes together in the end.

i think that a simple proof of DVD/BR being full to the last byte and also showing the size of the bonus stuff should be enough. i would defend that decision.

but first i would do a poll or something and hear the reactions of others.

This makes me feel obligated to serve Peter some hot tea if he were to ever visit my home. Maybe a good chai (which always feels warm and cozy)? Haha, love seeing the video and why things were edited.

what you use of transition to fade between to track sound? specialy the dialogue? and do you have a trick to put the voice more in the front and noise more in the back?

Peter Chan is a good example of why only using the internet for your knowledge of things is wrong.

Do a search for him... go on...

I'll wait.

You find sweet FA about him. Yeah, you can find info on IMDB, you can find a few pieces of art by him, but by and large he has ZERO presence online.

And yet he's been constantly working, on big movies and games.

If you just went on what you could find online you may be forgiven for thinking he's not very successful, but obviously he's pretty in demand and wanted.

It's a pity, as I really wanted to browse his work in high quality to look at the detail in it.

Alas!

The closest you can get is this profile of him on Mobygames:

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,1165/

The reason why there isn't much of his art online, is probably because he prefers to throw things away lol :)

The Peter Chan segment in episode 4 hit home for me since I am an artist who lives on Vancouver Island, which is more or less right next door to where this was filmed (in fact, a lot of my close friends live on Saltspring island, which is about 30- 40 minutes or so away from San Juan by boat). The imagery really hit a chord with me, and I felt almost personally connected to the sequence. I also wanted to note that I am super jealous of Peter's nice piece of property - I would love to have a studio like that one day. Thanks for the longer cut of this sequence! Even in it's semi-raw state it is fantastic.

I reeery like that you posted this. Having a lot of video editing experience myself, it was really cool to see the 'raw edit' and compare with what ended up in the episode. I also feel like I have a better understanding of Chan's place and the shoot itself. I agree with whoever said they'd like to see more of these!

Good work guys!!!!

Sign in to follow this