Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cecil

Kotaku: "The Cave is Deeper than I Thought"

Kotaku has played The Cave at PAX, and I thought this part of the article about was worth posting. It´s a description for one of the puzzles, and an interesting read for those who doesn´t think it will be an adventure game:

The setup was classic adventure game: There's a monster, and if you try to get around him, he'll kill you instantly. There's a huge crane-claw located above him, and clearly you have to lure him underneath the claw and catch him in it to proceed.

I had: A sparking fusebox that killed me when I touched it, two wells, a pit in front of a monster, a broken-down crane, and a vending machine with no power. Sound adventure-gamey enough for you?

The eventual solution was simple enough, but after I poked and prodded at it for a while, Gilbert walked me through it in the interest of time. (Or at least, that's what I'm telling myself).

"I like when people are stuck and confused, I find that more fascinating than frustrating," Gilbert said.

Here's the solution: Take a bucket from the well, put it over the water to stop the fusebox from shorting out, take the fuse down to the other fusebox next to the vending machines, plug it in, buy a hot dog, carry the fuse back up to next to the crane, plug it in, get the crane set, and then—I'm ready.

Now here's the thing—two things made this all more interesting than standard adventure game fare: One, I had more direct control of the characters—I could run and jump with them, which simply makes the game a bit more involving than pointing and clicking. Second, a lot of the puzzles required hopping between my characters in mid-action.

Once the claw was powered up, I had my adventurer toss the hot dog out into the pit. When the monster came running out to eat it, I hopped up to my monk, who was standing up at the crane's controls, and had him drop the claw. It snagged the monster, and I was free to go on my way.

I was struck by how complex this first puzzle was—I asked if the game would feature a lot of these more involved puzzles, and designer JP LeBreton confirmed that yep, it would. Some of the character-specific regions, he said, would feature several of them at the same time, and players would be able to tackle them in whatever order they want, like the hubs in classic adventure games.

Since each character has a special ability—the adventurer has a grappling hook, the time-traveler can warp through walls, etc—there are multiple solutions to each puzzle. Gilbert told me that he wants the game to be about experimentation and discovery—as you play, you'll figure out things you can do with special abilities that you didn't think were possible

http://kotaku.com/5939603/ron-gilberts-cave-is-deeper-than-i-thought

I find that description pretty reassuring. It´s not the most complicated puzzle description perhaps, but it´s only of the first puzzles in the games, there will be multiple solutions, and it´s clearly puts the game in a different field then games like Trine.

I am going to get this game the first day it comes out. It looks beautiful and the puzzles seem challenging.

I am not the most coordinated person so I have never loved platform games where you have to jump the right distance or double jump.

From the description, it seems like the game is more puzzle oriented, I am definitely going to buy it.

I am going to get this game the first day it comes out. It looks beautiful and the puzzles seem challenging.

I am not the most coordinated person so I have never loved platform games where you have to jump the right distance or double jump.

From the description, it seems like the game is more puzzle oriented, I am definitely going to buy it.

Does this mean you don't like Psychonauts? Nooooo!

But anyway, I agree that this is reassuring. Two adventure games from DF next year? Im in!

I got the chance to play it at PAX and I loved it. I can't wait to see even more complex puzzles and the uses of the different characters. It's been awhile since I've been so excited for a game :)

After reading the article, I thought....'thats awesome.' Double Fine amazes me to a point of 'derr herr herr' level constantly. I knew a project between DF and SEGA would be friggin' sweet....this slight spoiler just wets my appetite for release date ever more so. On a side-note....

Even if there won't be a new dlc any time soon for Iron Brigade....I wonder if a 'update' could be done to where I can get a new trench that has 2 blue and 2 green emplacement slots....

Sign in to follow this