Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anemone

Kingdom Hearts 1 gummi ship is kinda pointless.

I haven't touched KH1 in a long time, but I snagged a free copy from work and have been playing it again. I didn't remember that in KH1 you couldn't travel from location to location without completing EVERY SINGLE GUMMI SHIP TRACK along the way. So that's annoying.

Having played KH2, it's also striking how pointless the gummi ship used to be. For something you're made to do over and over again for really no good reason, it's not actually much of a game.

For example, I was playing the game JUST NOW and had to take the gummi ship back to Traverse town, so I just laid a pencil across the X button (i.e., fire lasers) and put something heavy on it to keep it pressed down. Then I went and made coffee and started typing this thread.

I just successfully finished the track with 99% health. I mean, really now.

Is this that part where you have to make your own ship or whatever when you're travelling between worlds? And at that point you have to start shooting things and survive or you don't get to the next world?

Because then yeah, that was the most frustratingly pointless addition to a game I've ever seen, and probably part of the reason I gave up playing KH later on

Is this that part where you have to make your own ship or whatever when you're travelling between worlds? And at that point you have to start shooting things and survive or you don't get to the next world?

Because then yeah, that was the most frustratingly pointless addition to a game I've ever seen, and probably part of the reason I gave up playing KH later on

Later it unlocks the "warp drive" so you don't HAVE to take the gummi ship route every single time (thank god), but it's really annoying at first.

I actually liked the Gummi Ship parts in KH2, though. It actually required at least a minimal amount of effort/skill (i.e., you can't pass them by just holding the X button and going to sleep) and they're much more stylish. The ship parts are more functional/interesting, too, and you can build bigger ships. KH1 doesn't let you build anything all that interesting in comparison.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by KH2.

I've played up to the Alice in Wonderland part, which is the first ship trip. It felt kinda pointless yeah

SKies of Arcadia!!!, with Airship battles and deck battles!!

"This wouldn't have happened if you hadn't built the ship entirely out of guns!"

Actually, with KH1, that's what you want to do. Just do that and hold down the X button. Don't even steer. Don't even look at the screen. You'll win.

But why is it called a gummi ship. Is it really made out of solidified gelatin?

I always wondered this, too. I bet the ship is delicious.

Sign in to follow this