Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TwoHeadedMaybe

Iron Brigade was *cough* not *cough* meant for a PS3 release...

It certainly seems so.

I was looking through the PC versions (Steam) files to find a way to increase the distance at which grass is rendered on screen as I hate seeing it pop up a few meters ahead. I then stumbed upon a file called "BuddhaDefault" in the "Config" folder that had some interesting lines of text in it:

-- MEMORY

-- Number of MB to give the sound system.

if PLATFORM == 'PS3' then

soundMemoryMB = 45

elseif PLATFORM == 'Xbox 360' then

soundMemoryMB = 45

elseif PLATFORM == 'PC' then

soundMemoryMB = 64

end

-- Number of MB from total to allocate from RSX memory. PS3 only

rsxMemoryMB = 22

-- Num of MB for the Voice LRU, 0 to disable

voiceLRUMaxMB = 2

-- How much buffer space it should try to keep, starts unloading sounds when this much free space is left

-- This should be a fair bit larger than the largest voice line in the game.

voiceLRUBufferMB = 1

-- CHANNELS/VOICES

-- The maximum number of virtual voices/channels.

virtualChannels = 192

-- The number of real "hardware" voices/channels.

realChannels = 40

-- Note that there must be enough codecs of the right types to

-- the number of realChannels or sounds may drop out.

-- The maximum number of PCM codecs (used by streams and PCM audio)

pcmCodecs = 16

-- The maximum number of ADPCM codecs

adpcmCodecs = 0

-- The maximum number of compressed codecs

-- What compressed means is determined on a per-platform basis.

-- For example, MP2 on PS3 and XMA on 360

compressedCodecs = 32

-- Max number of channels in an input wav file. Defaults to 6.

maxInputChannels = 8

As can be read, the PS3 is mentioned three times in just this short snippet of text.

My guess is a certain publisher got in the way.

Unfortunately I could not figure out how to increase the grass distance, so maybe someone could help me with that? :-P

I doubt that PS3 code was written specifically for Iron Brigade. I'd bet it's an artifact of the Buddha engine being coded to work for multiple platforms.

Syd is correct. Our Engine, Buddha, is what we make all our games on and have since Brutal Legend. Brutal Legend was a multi platform game, so the PS3 code hooks are still around in modern games that won't see a PS3 release.

Unfortunately, I'm 99% sure Iron Brigade will never see PS3, since Microsoft owns the IP.

I also don't think there's a way to change the render distance for grass, but I'll check with the guys in charge of it.

Ah, my bad. :-S Here I was, thinking the game was originally meant for a PS3 release. I remember when it was exclusive for 360, it almost made me buy one, thankfully the PC version showed up.

Syd is correct. Our Engine, Buddha, is what we make all our games on and have since Brutal Legend. Brutal Legend was a multi platform game, so the PS3 code hooks are still around in modern games that won't see a PS3 release.

Unfortunately, I'm 99% sure Iron Brigade will never see PS3, since Microsoft owns the IP.

I also don't think there's a way to change the render distance for grass, but I'll check with the guys in charge of it.

How about a spiritual successor? I'd love to see a *not*sequel, in the same way that Dark Souls is the *not*sequel to Demon's Souls. It'd get rid of that pesky GFWL blight that a straight Iron Brigade 2 would have, as well.

/end wishful thinking

Sign in to follow this