Sign in to follow this  
Kee Chi

Jump start on Justice?!?!?

I had 17 Superium at one point. I bought @Man for 10 and now it's all gone.

I had spent 2 bucks on Superium, but luckily spent most of it right away. Could have been pretty awful if I had spent more and stored it.

I had spent 2 bucks on Superium, but luckily spent most of it right away. Could have been pretty awful if I had spent more and stored it.

Yikes! I've heard of this bug! :( This will definitely be fixed.

Hey,

i am usually not a big fan of these wait or pay games but jumped at this as soon as i saw it. I also payed a bit of money thinking to myself "if it sucks or is just gone in five minutes i´ll consider it an extended donation to DFA" and i have to say it broke the game.

With the double money tool i was able to "beat" the game within the afternoon. It´s very sad that the high level Hero packs pretty much only give you "unlimited power" and no more leveling up and building your hero since they are already at the cap.

I guess there might be some fun to the combat system if you don´t "cheat" (but since the only way you make money of this is users cheating this has to be concerned...) even if it seems very limited when it comes to user interaction. But to be honest i would have rather payed 3$ for this and got a game that is sort of like Battlehearts with Superheros than this. Because being overpowered is as little fun as waiting to play is.

I actually think waiting longer is "better" for these sorts of "games" since you don´t have your mind on the game every 8 Minutes or even stay in the app starring at the timer to run down. If you look at stuff like the simpsons tapped out or the smurfs game... yeah sure, just put in a 12 or 24 houre mission and don´t mind again till than. Still not fun, but it´s not haunting you as something that concerns you "all day".

Just replace the free to play mechanic with "what do my people do today" and "end day" mechanics instead of real time waiting and put some more gameplay into the managment and fighting system and this could be a winner. People would pay 3$ for that, i am absolutely certain.

I grabbed this game thanks to a notification from the TouchArcade app. It's pretty cool, but I think that the wait times are awful short for this kind of game. For instance, if it took three or four hours to train a skill or increase health, while taking say 30 minutes to rest back up or raise morale, then I could settle into playing a standard waiting game. If, on the other end of the spectrum, I can simply spend points to level up characters or what have you, then its just a team building rpg.

But as it stands now, its a waiting game that I need to monitor consistently. It only takes a few minutes to level up skills, but that's too short for me to go do something else, but too long to be engaging as I watch my other little heroes wander around the office.

To be honest, I like the progression at the start of the game. I assumed that when a hero leveled up to two or three, that training them would take longer. Heading off to the gym to raise strength would take a few minutes at level 1, maybe five at level 2, 12 at level 3 and so on. But when I'm just power leveling my team of four heroes and am already over half way through the available areas of the city, I feel like I'm trapped on the other side of the balance fence. Everything is happening too quickly, and instead of feeling like I'm making progress of my own accord it's just a grind.

Honestly, I still really like the game. The idea is fun, the dialogue is funny, and the art is snappy and clever. All of the blocks are in place, but I think the balance needs to reviewed, assuming you aren't already doing so. I'd suggest taking a look at Pocket Planes by NimbleBit. Not that you need to copy their games, but that game has a good, steady rise in wait time that keeps you coming back and updating your planes and buying new parts and all, but doesn't expect you to keep watch of it while the planes are in the air.

Other than that, keep up the good work, and I look forward to restarting when the game officially launches "soon"!

Hey,

i am usually not a big fan of these wait or pay games but jumped at this as soon as i saw it. I also payed a bit of money thinking to myself "if it sucks or is just gone in five minutes i´ll consider it an extended donation to DFA" and i have to say it broke the game.

With the double money tool i was able to "beat" the game within the afternoon. It´s very sad that the high level Hero packs pretty much only give you "unlimited power" and no more leveling up and building your hero since they are already at the cap.

I guess there might be some fun to the combat system if you don´t "cheat" (but since the only way you make money of this is users cheating this has to be concerned...) even if it seems very limited when it comes to user interaction. But to be honest i would have rather payed 3$ for this and got a game that is sort of like Battlehearts with Superheros than this. Because being overpowered is as little fun as waiting to play is.

I actually think waiting longer is "better" for these sorts of "games" since you don´t have your mind on the game every 8 Minutes or even stay in the app starring at the timer to run down. If you look at stuff like the simpsons tapped out or the smurfs game... yeah sure, just put in a 12 or 24 houre mission and don´t mind again till than. Still not fun, but it´s not haunting you as something that concerns you "all day".

Just replace the free to play mechanic with "what do my people do today" and "end day" mechanics instead of real time waiting and put some more gameplay into the managment and fighting system and this could be a winner. People would pay 3$ for that, i am absolutely certain.

Thank you for your feedback. I think what we need to do is give an interesting challenge/reward for those that are overpowered, and have that feel fun. We need to work more on that.

What we are trying to do with this game is to have it out there, be free, and have it evolve over time as we keep putting in new content and new systems. We don't want to finish the game and walk away, we want to keep making the product better! We plan on adding more to the management and the fighting systems and give the players more to do. Which is something that is definitely easier to do with a free product. I've definitely have thought about the end of day cycle and so forth for the game. A calendar and schedule and whatnot and it's possible we can combine those mechanics with what we have.

I grabbed this game thanks to a notification from the TouchArcade app. It's pretty cool, but I think that the wait times are awful short for this kind of game. For instance, if it took three or four hours to train a skill or increase health, while taking say 30 minutes to rest back up or raise morale, then I could settle into playing a standard waiting game. If, on the other end of the spectrum, I can simply spend points to level up characters or what have you, then its just a team building rpg.

But as it stands now, its a waiting game that I need to monitor consistently. It only takes a few minutes to level up skills, but that's too short for me to go do something else, but too long to be engaging as I watch my other little heroes wander around the office.

To be honest, I like the progression at the start of the game. I assumed that when a hero leveled up to two or three, that training them would take longer. Heading off to the gym to raise strength would take a few minutes at level 1, maybe five at level 2, 12 at level 3 and so on. But when I'm just power leveling my team of four heroes and am already over half way through the available areas of the city, I feel like I'm trapped on the other side of the balance fence. Everything is happening too quickly, and instead of feeling like I'm making progress of my own accord it's just a grind.

Honestly, I still really like the game. The idea is fun, the dialogue is funny, and the art is snappy and clever. All of the blocks are in place, but I think the balance needs to reviewed, assuming you aren't already doing so. I'd suggest taking a look at Pocket Planes by NimbleBit. Not that you need to copy their games, but that game has a good, steady rise in wait time that keeps you coming back and updating your planes and buying new parts and all, but doesn't expect you to keep watch of it while the planes are in the air.

Other than that, keep up the good work, and I look forward to restarting when the game officially launches "soon"!

Huh, that's super interesting. I had actually balanced the game so that the wait time wasn't too overboard, but I can see it from the standpoint that the timing is a bit too in between and that the progression doesn't feel quite right. We are very much tuning right now and trying very hard to make the experience fun. So what do you mean when you say that you're not making progress on your own accord? Thanks for your support and feedback!

Thats what i meant by "haunting you". Right now you got stuff like "he needs to heal, than i´ll return because he needs to be motivated and after that i need to return to send him fight". The longest wait i saw was 30 minutes for some research i think. It´s nice if you can choose how long your hero is busy, 6, 8, 12 hour's are not that bad if you go to work or sleep. Maybe you can set up a schedule were you queue up several actions for your hero, and the more actions it are the longer all of them will take to complete - tomorrow when i wake up my hero will be ready to fight while my toast is being toasted.

I am sure you looked at other free to play models, what made you decide to go for a wait to play mechanic rather than bonuses or cosmetics like you get em in League of Legents or Team Fortress?

Thats what i meant by "haunting you". Right now you got stuff like "he needs to heal, than i´ll return because he needs to be motivated and after that i need to return to send him fight". The longest wait i saw was 30 minutes for some research i think. It´s nice if you can choose how long your hero is busy, 6, 8, 12 hour's are not that bad if you go to work or sleep. Maybe you can set up a schedule were you queue up several actions for your hero, and the more actions it are the longer all of them will take to complete - tomorrow when i wake up my hero will be ready to fight while my toast is being toasted.

I am sure you looked at other free to play models, what made you decide to go for a wait to play mechanic rather than bonuses or cosmetics like you get em in League of Legents or Team Fortress?

Oh I see, so a queue might help. Hmm. Well, Middle Manager of Justice isn't a multiplayer game. It's not about showing off a cool hat or getting bonuses in multiplayer battle. It's about developing your heroes, and for that it makes a lot of contextual sense for them to take a while in training and researching. I kind of imagine the superheroes punching the training bags in my pocket while the phone is tucked away.

Personally, I liked the short wait times. Had the Montage item worked to reduce training times, I'd have been happier with it overall. I thought it was short enough that it didn't feel like a cow clicker game I could play for a few minutes and then had to stop for a few hours.

The attacks that target all enemies might be a little overpowered though. From about level 5 I could use those characters to solo the battles that come up after the main story. The characters that have them end up much much more powerful than those who don't once you've maxed everyone out.

Thanks for the fun game.

I’ve got a few rooms that were upgraded to level 2 and one of two items in that room was upgraded. Heroes refuse to use the 1st item until after a restart. Confirmed with Training Room. After upgrading both dummies in my Training Room, the first dummy is still skipped. An upgraded Rec Room will only allow one hero at a time instead of the original multiple allowance.

Thanks again.

I didn't got the game early on, but this "buying" thing is keeping me a bit off.

Is this some kind of Free-to-Play (I like to call it free-to-pay-for-my-mercedes) thing, or are these just some boosts and you can enjoy the game, without it? If these are just boosts to benefit your singleplayer experience (if you want to), then no worries...

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to tell you what to do with the game you're creating, it's just a model I personally loathe...

Hi all,

thanks for this awesome game !

A very good gestion game with superheros :) I like that !

Little problem :

- with the max level of each rooms, there is a place problem with the hero

New features ?

- Fight/train 2 heros both, one control by IA and the other by the player.

=> win experience for the hero

- multiplayer game with the game center

=> fight others players or by team for exemple 2vs2

- Chain action for a hero

=> the hero can do automatic differents or the same action for exemple 5 time

Regards

I didn't got the game early on, but this "buying" thing is keeping me a bit off.

Is this some kind of Free-to-Play (I like to call it free-to-pay-for-my-mercedes) thing, or are these just some boosts and you can enjoy the game, without it? If these are just boosts to benefit your singleplayer experience (if you want to), then no worries...

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to tell you what to do with the game you're creating, it's just a model I personally loathe...

They are boosts to benefit your single player experience. With additional Superium, you can convert it to more Coins (currency for rooms, upgrades, equipment, and items), and speed up training and research. This is definitely a game that you can enjoy without having to spend a dime, and also enjoy if you do. (We are definitely focusing the balance that way).

Hi all,

thanks for this awesome game !

A very good gestion game with superheros :) I like that !

Little problem :

- with the max level of each rooms, there is a place problem with the hero

New features ?

- Fight/train 2 heros both, one control by IA and the other by the player.

=> win experience for the hero

- multiplayer game with the game center

=> fight others players or by team for exemple 2vs2

- Chain action for a hero

=> the hero can do automatic differents or the same action for exemple 5 time

Regards

Thanks!

Yeah, the sorting problem will be fixed.

- IA? Not sure I get that...

- We have thought about multiplayer stuff. We are definitely going to hone in on the single player experience first.

- Ah the queue request. Hmm.

They are boosts to benefit your single player experience. With additional Superium, you can convert it to more Coins (currency for rooms, upgrades, equipment, and items), and speed up training and research. This is definitely a game that you can enjoy without having to spend a dime, and also enjoy if you do. (We are definitely focusing the balance that way).

You get an A for Awesome!

Hi,

Thanks for the fun game. We were lucky enough to grab it at the right moment and have just put up a quick look here ( http://www.dual-ring.net/middle-manager-of-justices-accidental-beta-test-and-what-we-think/ ) but its a little long to reproduce here unfortunately.

Really enjoyed it and hope that the full version comes out soon :)

Wow! Thanks for that preview. And it looks like you did it on IPad1. The graphics were particularly messed up for IPad1 and IPhone 3gs. We've fixed that. I was being super cautious with memory so I was loading really low res textures, but we have the memory to spare now so I've bumped it up.

So responses:

Shallow combat system

- We are looking into making it more interesting. The game isn't a RPG first, but I do acknowledge that it's something that the player does a lot so it would be good to make that portion of the game more interesting.

Recycling

- This is really due to how much staffing we had for the project. If we can cloned Mark several times, that might've worked. Hmm. But new content, art, and enemy types will be added!

Four Hero Limit

- I would love to have more and we're going to see if it works in memory. Middle Manager is a memory intensive game. We have a lot of unique animations which really stretched the amount of memory used by the app. I'd love to have tons more active in game, but we started out taking a more conservative approach.

Fixed 30 second timer for earning coin

- Would making that be an upgrade be compelling?

Thanks for the fun game.

I’ve got a few rooms that were upgraded to level 2 and one of two items in that room was upgraded. Heroes refuse to use the 1st item until after a restart. Confirmed with Training Room. After upgrading both dummies in my Training Room, the first dummy is still skipped. An upgraded Rec Room will only allow one hero at a time instead of the original multiple allowance.

Thanks again.

The recroom bug has been fixed. I'll be looking into the first item not being used. Hmm...

When I'm picking superheros it would be nice if I could back out of it, just incase I clicked it accidentally.

I've also bought a couple of items accidently from stray swipes because it doesn't say "Are you sure? Yes/No". But having that could also be annoying so no biggie.

I initially felt this way too. We added the confirmation screen for this reason. Past the confirmation screen, though, you're committed. It's like you're buying a pack of physical cards: Pokemon, MtG, etc. You don't know what hero cards are inside, and you can't "back out" of the purchase after you've made it, i.e. ask for your money back from the store. The random cards are part of the excitement.

Steve

Huh, that's super interesting. I had actually balanced the game so that the wait time wasn't too overboard, but I can see it from the standpoint that the timing is a bit too in between and that the progression doesn't feel quite right. We are very much tuning right now and trying very hard to make the experience fun. So what do you mean when you say that you're not making progress on your own accord? Thanks for your support and feedback!

What I mean to say is that it feels like I'm on a conveyor belt. The short wait times means that the conveyor belt is moving really fast. It also feels like my decisions aren't that meaningful. For instance, I've only bought a few items, and maybe two pieces of equipment. The reason? It is simply too easy and quick to level my characters and just train them up. It allows me to almost completely ignore one of the mechanisms in the game.

Basically, these waiting style freemium games are all conveyor belts. You're working your way down a path, enjoying the story or the progress of your city/farm/tower/whatever. The way to make these game fun is to control the speed at which the player makes progress. If you're moving to slow, the game becomes a chore with not enough rewards. On the other hand, if progress is to quick the player simply sprints through the content provided then looses interest. If there is enough content, that sprint eventually turns to repetition and boredom.

Like I said before, I think this game has pretty much everything down. The concept is interesting, the story and dialog are funny, and the art is bright and snappy. But the central mechanic, and the wait times specifically, is just not right. Don't let anyone fool you, longer wait times are not the devil. I once again recommend checking out NimbleBit's two games, Tiny Tower and Pocket Planes. While those games lack in any kind of story, they are engaging because the designers worked out that central mechanic.

Any chance for an Android release?

I think that is the single most common comment I've seen about MMoJ. I don't honestly know the answer, but you can bet I will be talking about it with the team. My guess it will depend on a number of factors, and that the most important one of those will be how well MMoJ does on iOS.

I think that is the single most common comment I've seen about MMoJ. I don't honestly know the answer, but you can bet I will be talking about it with the team. My guess it will depend on a number of factors, and that the most important one of those will be how well MMoJ does on iOS.

We definitely want to be on Android! We are focusing on the iOS release out of the gate, but I definitely want MMoJ to be on as many platforms as possible.

Basically, these waiting style freemium games are all conveyor belts. You're working your way down a path, enjoying the story or the progress of your city/farm/tower/whatever. The way to make these game fun is to control the speed at which the player makes progress. If you're moving to slow, the game becomes a chore with not enough rewards. On the other hand, if progress is to quick the player simply sprints through the content provided then looses interest. If there is enough content, that sprint eventually turns to repetition and boredom.

I can´t agree more.

You can see this in "City Building" games like "The Smurfs" or "The Simpsons - Taped Out" or all these farm games - there is always new contend, the player will never (unless he pays utopic masses of money) be fast enough to reach a point were there is no new goal to reach/wait for. I guess for you game it´s harder to keep the contend flowing while these other games usually just offer an extra building and are don with it. But if it´s slowed down a bit maybe you can throw in a new part of the story every other week or such.

Research, Training and such are the parts that are OK to take a little while in this kind of game, since you basicly are cutting the classic sports movie training montage that would usualy skip this time and just make you awesome. When you actualy are playing the game the gameplay needs to rock.

I don´t know how sleeping and moral fits into the waiting game since these two are whats most important to getting you to play. (i think there is no way that full hero hp AND happyness should require more than two houres and one login, maybe moral can be a minigame?)

We definitely want to be on Android! We are focusing on the iOS release out of the gate, but I definitely want MMoJ to be on as many platforms as possible.

I think I'll hold out for an Atari 2600 release.

Just remember, Windows Phones will one day rule the world.

Another idea how how to offer something for free so you can work on it like you say you would like to. Have you considered a humble indy "pay what you want" option for game? There is the pocket light meter app... it´s free, for 99 cents you can get rid of the Ads but there is also the "buy the developers a beer" iAP option for 3,99$.

You could offer an iAP like that, or even a 99 cent subscription model. It dos not even need to change anything in the game, looks, cheats or whatever. Just give people that like the game the option to pay for more work to be don on it.

There is this interesting comic app (financed via kickstarter) called "The Wormworld Saga". A free Web Comic that is also free within the App. But you can buy the collectors edition in the App that gives you access to several stages of the creation of the issue and special making of and sketchbook sections.

http://www.wormworldsaga.com/

I know it´s likely to late for the style of free to play you decided for to change, and you like the idea of it. But in case there ever is a different "free, so we can develop it with your feedback in mind" game these might be other options to consider.