Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Blacksleeves

Bugs and feedback

So there's a lot to say about the build that came out yesterday. The game is fun, and I enjoy the fantasy of managing various superheroes. The writing is classic double fine-style humor, and genuinely enjoyable.

There are obviously bugs. From major to minor:

Bug #1:100% crash bug when using surge protector on one particular mission in the last campaign. I can't remember exactly which, but it was a standard henchmen battle, and did require a full restart to undo.

Bug #2: 100% crash bug when selecting heroes who were trying to do a particular task. Here's how I pulled it off:

1) Send 3 heroes to do desk work with a desk area that has only 1 available seat

2) 2 heroes would stand at the door and wait. Go to the map, select a mission, add those heroes to the mission roster, and press accept. Et voila! Crash for me.

Bug #3: A bug in hero selection at the end where only 3 slots where available. Not 100% repro, but it occurred frequently enough.

Bug #4: I've sen this bug posted before, but surge protector and researching did have issues. As I remember it, I had the level 1 or 2 room with 2 level 1 research stations. I don't think it was an issue with her researching, but her researching at the first available table. If I had someone else researching at the first table, she could also research at the second just fine.

Bug #5: Certain Achievements aren't rewarded (Jailbreak and Cloning both failed), and others are unattainable I believe. I say this mainly about the thug defeating achievements. When you reach the end right now, and just get more and more simple combat missions, no thugs appear. Hard to get to 1000 thugs beaten when there aren't anymore :P.

Bug #6: Amount of coins earned for completing a mission still ticks down while choosing heroes to send on the mission. I would click on a mission when it says 99 coins, set up the heroes, win the match, and be rewarded 95-96 coins instead.

Bug #7: Minor Z-fighting when building new rooms. Restart of the app fixed that.

Other Thoughts

I'd say there are some balance issues right now too. The difficulty curve started off fine. The first area needed one hero to complete, second area ramped up to make the player hire a second hero. Where it fell apart for me was with Surge Protector's AOE. It is quite powerful, and for the latter half of the entire campaign, I used sweet justice as a meat shield while she cast that on the first turn and defeated every enemy on the screen (See attached screenshot. It was as hard to grab as photographing actual lightning). This strategy only failed on giant robot, dragon, and clones with 300 health missions.

For it being a fantasy of being a middle manage of superheroes, I rarely use my manager. Need coins? Beat up some thugs instead. Morale low? Sit my heroes in front of the tv. Promoting and increasing the intellect of heroes is usually done from the character menus as well, not from my manager. I see the scene from Office Space with Tom where he's being interviewed for his own job happening here. "So, you physically take the specs from the customers?" "Well....no." "So then you must physically bring them to the software people." "Well.."

Finally, I wonder about the longevity. I've essentially reached the end of this build, and I wonder, what's next? There's always building up the office, but beyond that, I don't see much. Some sort of comparison/battle with friends' heroes, or some way of building random campaigns rather than just beating up mindless henchmen over and over would help out with this. Maybe there are items coming, and maybe it depends on the intended financial model for the product. If the game is intending to be a small upfront fee (say $.99) and available in-app pay options, with future content coming (think angry birds, cut the rope) then I feel like there is enough content. If it's free, I feel like there isn't enough upfront to really keep me engaged and wanting to buy superium.

In conclusion, this post feels really doom and gloom, but as stated, this is an earlier build, and I've had a ton of fun with it. Can't wait to see the final result, and keep up the great work.

Two issues from a graphics standpoint...

• on my 3rd generation iPod Touch the dialogue text is very hard to read

• PVRTC isn't great on cartoony colour regions. Your textures look beautiful BUT really, really smudgy. With PVRTC and cartoony textures it's best to use PVRTexTool with "-pvrtcbest". The compression takes longer, but produces .pvr the same size and of a much higher quality. Depending on which version of PVRTexTool you're using, you may also need to use "-premultalpha". Check out my blog post on getting the most from PVRTC (I talk about Unity, but the fundamentals are the same)

A little something I managed to break in my version. Had three Herod chilling on the couch getting their morale back up, and sent a fourth in. He waited to one side, and when I went to have him rest again after the others had left he proceeded to have a seat, about a foot (in game terms. On the screen, a visible gap) in front of the couch. Ever since then, every Hero does this. Apparently they invested in an invisible couch extension.

Two issues from a graphics standpoint...

• on my 3rd generation iPod Touch the dialogue text is very hard to read

• PVRTC isn't great on cartoony colour regions. Your textures look beautiful BUT really, really smudgy. With PVRTC and cartoony textures it's best to use PVRTexTool with "-pvrtcbest". The compression takes longer, but produces .pvr the same size and of a much higher quality. Depending on which version of PVRTexTool you're using, you may also need to use "-premultalpha". Check out my blog post on getting the most from PVRTC (I talk about Unity, but the fundamentals are the same)

We've been using texturepacker, I'll try to use the pvrtextool as well and see if we get better results. We already premultiply alpha. The biggest problem with the older devices is that we were being really conservative with the memory with lower res textures. We are currently testing with higher res textures and things look good so far....

When switching out heroes would it be possible to have them drop their equipment back in the inventory? It's really confusing to remember which hero has what on.

At later levels (7-9 so far) it seems like at the performance review screen the hero has leveled up. But back in the office the hero has not leveled up yet. They make progress just not as much.

Do the characters cap at level 10 currently? It seems like you can't go further. After the performance review screen the progress bar sets back down to nothing in the office.

Surge Protector just sits in front of the bedroom occasionally when added to game.

The phone gets pretty hot while playing the game. But I'm sure that's the phone fault for containing so much awesome or whatever.

Some achievements don't unlock (Clone one) and some don't make sense (build all rooms one caps at 80something) I think because the rec room can only have a 1 tv.

Push notification alerts would be great. Better yet customizable ones, training finished only, etc would be the way to go.

All tested on iPhone 4S.

Loving the game so far. Really excited to see what you add to it. Love the art and humor in the game. Kudos to sucking me into one of these micromanagement games.

We've been using texturepacker, I'll try to use the pvrtextool as well and see if we get better results. We already premultiply alpha. The biggest problem with the older devices is that we were being really conservative with the memory with lower res textures. We are currently testing with higher res textures and things look good so far....

Cool, I hope PVRTexTool helps out. I also installed MMOJ on my iPad (1st gen) and the texture compression issues are the same. Are you also considering it an older device? sniff. Hopefully the higher resolution & better compression works out! I had a fun evening with MMOJ and would love it to look even better than it already does! :)

I have also noticed the break room bug constantly. I have an iPhone 4, and as soon as I upgraded the break room to level two the characters now sit in front of the couch. It also has prevented the amount of characters to sit on the sofa to one. The rest will wait in line to use the couch in the room.

To let you guys know this happened early in the game. I had just unlocked a fourth character, training room level 2, recovery room at level 2, and cubicles at level 1. I had upgraded Surge Protector to level 4 or 5, and during training sent her to the room, and thats when it all started.

This happens every time I have upgraded the room to level 2, but not with the same conditions as mentioned. I have restarted the game 3 4 times now, and still the same issue.

Not a game breaker, but just figured I'd throw this one at you guys.

two bugs i come across in the "official release"

First one as reported already the muilt rewards for doing one quest bug

Second if the game reloads from background my manager has lost his skill levels hes learn and has to relearn them again.

Second if the game reloads from background my manager has lost his skill levels hes learn and has to relearn them again.

Can you describe what actually happens in the multi reward bug? Do you keep continually rewarded every time you press continue?

Also, which skill level does he lose?

Can you describe what actually happens in the multi reward bug? Do you keep continually rewarded every time you press continue?

Regarding the multi bug reward bug, the bug happen twice for me the last time was i had to work out my heroes 5 times. When i done this i tapped the tick box and got my reward appear next the quest. I tap the reward to collect it but instead it clearing it changes to another reward, so i tap that and once again the reward changed to another one.

Example (it appears to be random)

100 coins

tap

snack

tap

superium

tap

snack

This keeps going on and on to get out of the bug i had to tap anywhere on my Ipad 3 screen it then clears the completed quest from list and the reward box disappears as it should.

Checking my inv afterwards and all the rewards i kept getting from the bug are there which including all the superium i kept getting in the bug which give me enough to buy level 5 hero WITHOUT doing a boss

The reset bug for my manager he had a level 2 pep talk and paradigm shift i had to learn these again when the game reloaded. I since tryed it again now hes maxed out on pep talk but its not repeated the bug

I played against the dragon, and even though only one hero was down, the rest of my team had about 75% health. I managed to knock out all of the dragon's hit points, but instead of defeating the dragon, all three of my heroes suddenly went from 75% health to 0% and I was defeated. I was under powered, all of my heroes were at less than 20 power (except Hot Head of course). I managed to knock down the dragon's hit points by powering Hot Head all the way up.

I thought it might be by design rather than a bug at first, because I was so low powered (the game only gave me a 12% chance of winning). However, I did battle the dragon again using the exact same strategy, and it worked that time, correctly designating me as the winner instead of the dragon.

I played against the dragon, and even though only one hero was down, the rest of my team had about 75% health. I managed to knock out all of the dragon's hit points, but instead of defeating the dragon, all three of my heroes suddenly went from 75% health to 0% and I was defeated. I was under powered, all of my heroes were at less than 20 power (except Hot Head of course). I managed to knock down the dragon's hit points by powering Hot Head all the way up.

I thought it might be by design rather than a bug at first, because I was so low powered (the game only gave me a 12% chance of winning). However, I did battle the dragon again using the exact same strategy, and it worked that time, correctly designating me as the winner instead of the dragon.

Hmm, so in the first case, did your heroes get stomped? Or they were standing, and then just went to 0?

Also, WOW you're at the Dragon already!!! :D

Hmm, so in the first case, did your heroes get stomped? Or they were standing, and then just went to 0?

They were all just standing (except Surge Protector, who was already defeated) and then they all just dropped and their health went to 0. The strange thing is that the dragon did stomp them, but after they already dropped.

Also, WOW you're at the Dragon already!!! :D

I have a tendency to play as far as I can in RPGs with low stats and a lot of health refill items. :) It works to a point, but the final boss battles are a real bear that way. ;)

It also helps that you and your team have made the game fun enough for me to keep wanting to come back and play more. :D

The bug again this time i recorded it in action so you can see yourself whats happening.

nCzC0oMCtMQ

The bug again this time i recorded it in action so you can see yourself whats happening.

nCzC0oMCtMQ

Yep, found out what was going on and have a fix. Thanks for putting up the video, super helpful!!!!

First I wanted to say thanks for the game !! It's awesome and I've been playing it non stop as soon as I saw it on the App Store. One bug I'd like to report is in the resting room, as soon as you have 3 beds, instead of walking around the first bed then up to the second bed next to it the heroes just walk right through the bed.

Also there's also some choppiness when you're at hero headquarter, have two heroes walking around next to each other and you're in a menu. I'm running the game on an iPhone 5. Again love this game !! Great work guys !! Keep it up !!!

First I wanted to say thanks for the game !! It's awesome and I've been playing it non stop as soon as I saw it on the App Store. One bug I'd like to report is in the resting room, as soon as you have 3 beds, instead of walking around the first bed then up to the second bed next to it the heroes just walk right through the bed.

Also there's also some choppiness when you're at hero headquarter, have two heroes walking around next to each other and you're in a menu. I'm running the game on an iPhone 5. Again love this game !! Great work guys !! Keep it up !!!

Woooo!!! Thanks for the very kind words!!!! Yep, we've seen the walk through bed bug. We'll polish that up. And the two heroes thing, hmm, I'll have to check that out....

Been really enjoying the game. Love all the DF touches and Easter Eggs.

Only noticed 2 bugs that get in the way.

• I don't see many of the animations play out. AKA Serge Girls group attack just makes dust, no bolts. Plus when I upgrade the old super dude to his new suit and had his work out on the punching bag, when he went through his punch animation he would lose his glove for one frame.

• This one might be on me, but during the Dragon fight (4000 HP) my supers health bobs around, but mostly stays full. By about the 5th or 6th stomp they all flop. Am I missing something or is this a bug?

Either way, another great product from DF. You guys always stand out for your work and I love you for that.

Been really enjoying the game. Love all the DF touches and Easter Eggs.

Only noticed 2 bugs that get in the way.

• I don't see many of the animations play out. AKA Serge Girls group attack just makes dust, no bolts. Plus when I upgrade the old super dude to his new suit and had his work out on the punching bag, when he went through his punch animation he would lose his glove for one frame.

• This one might be on me, but during the Dragon fight (4000 HP) my supers health bobs around, but mostly stays full. By about the 5th or 6th stomp they all flop. Am I missing something or is this a bug?

Either way, another great product from DF. You guys always stand out for your work and I love you for that.

Thanks for playing! Glad you're enjoying it!

- Ah, yeah Surge Protector doesn't have a projectile. It started out that way cause I figured shock attacks would look instantaneous but yeah having something flying would look better.

- Did you use Hard Deadline on this fight? If you did, when the timer runs out for hard deadline all of your heroes get knocked out, this is to balance out the huge buff that the ability give you.

- Did you use Hard Deadline on this fight? If you did, when the timer runs out for hard deadline all of your heroes get knocked out, this is to balance out the huge buff that the ability give you.

Ah...I should read the details more, that was it exactly.

Texture packing is awfully low quality when zooming in and there is also some blinking when animations are playing (example: sleeping). You can also see black areas around the base level when taping the Middle Manager. Superheroes also walks under the bed at bedrooms.

Otherwise I do enjoy the game. Started playing today when the app did come global.

Here are my thoughts. I just beat the third boss.

1) Timers should go down in real time even when I'm not using the app. It feels like a way too obvious push for money in superium when I have to wait 15 minutes without exiting the app.

2) The font is a little hard on the eyes, I'd like the option to change it.

3) It's not clear what I have to click to upgrade facilities. Many times I find myself pressing at random to get the room upgrade screen.

4) It's just too easy even without paying. It would be cool to adjust the difficulty and have some sort of reward for playing the higher difficulty level. The biggest challenge is waiting everything out so you don't have to pay real money. I wouldn't mind making an initial payment on the app and not having to deal with this kind of BS later.

I ran into a bug where I can't select Surge Protector to motivate. My other two heroes show up on the list, but she never does. Luckily I have a rec room now, but she was apparently running around crying between missions for a while.

I found a bug: my game crashed, probably from being on too long without a break (something that can be avoid if you adopt the kind of timer Tiny Tower has where it keeps the countdowns ticking even when the device is off). When I got back into the game my manager lost all his abilities....they were maxed out before the crash.

Mr. Kee, I found a bug, I keep clicking on the cow but I haven't loaded the secret cow level yet, It doesn't even say gem activated, what's going on?

Sorry, just wanted a laugh after these bug reports in this thread. Game is a good mix of challenge and fun to be addictive for a simple game. It gave me a good couple hours waiting for midnights of 'the hobbit' in 48fps/3d/dolbyatmos so it can't be all bad. Came for the amnesia fortnight, enjoyed a helping of mmoj. Good week.

Been playing now some hours (i'm at the fourth boss)

1. Game is quite easy and when looking on f2p side, there is not really need for use real money. (This game might be designed to give goodwill or snif F2P market than make money, but making successful F2P game you need to be little evil when designing the game) Tough coin copier is must buy, after that just swap superium to coins and grinding is lot of fun after that.

2. And the timers.. Some kind of server implementation would be killer so that the timers will go down even when player is not in the app.

Been playing now some hours (i'm at the fourth boss)

1. Game is quite easy and when looking on f2p side, there is not really need for use real money. (This game might be designed to give goodwill or snif F2P market than make money, but making successful F2P game you need to be little evil when designing the game) Tough coin copier is must buy, after that just swap superium to coins and grinding is lot of fun after that.

2. And the timers.. Some kind of server implementation would be killer so that the timers will go down even when player is not in the app.

Hmm...those timers SHOULD go down when the player is not in the app. So if you set a hero to an activity, if you check back in the right amount of time, the activity should complete. There IS an issue where they need to START the activity before you can background the app.

Sign in to follow this