Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Art Update 7: Searching for Sacrifice Girl

A, E & L from the first batch, and then E from the second batch really catch my eye. I dunno, something about those drawings cause me to picture the girl as this very lanky, agile person who lopes up hills and looks at you curiously from a balcony - think Jack Skellington from Nightmare Before Christmas and that's the sort of movement style it makes me think of. I feel like that would actually work quite well, given the game's style (from what I can see so far).

(Also, man it's taken me forever to get involved on the forums...)

I really like A and L, partly because of the awesome, strong action poses! But I definitely love the diamond shape face and the ripped-up ballgown.

I just want to see how Bagel is going to interpret the sketch that is chosen... His style is what is going to come across in the end, which looks nothing like these sketches.

So, do not get too attached to any of these sketches.... Bagel has a very unique style.

I realize these are concepts, but I hope she is not quite so stick-skinny in the game! If I can be a little feminist, real ladies have curves.

Less Final Fantasy and more Chrono Trigger!

I really enjoy I, M, and O (the first round) for the bound up headdress, but with two hair tassels hanging down. This communicates the free spirit of SG without making her all out wild from the beginning. Maybe as the plot continues, more hair is shown as becomes more free and independent.

I also like the amazing hairdo! Oh-la-la!

From the first set posted: I like R for a ridiculous, over-the-top sacrificial outfit and then she would "modify" it into maybe O or J. I like the little (what I assume to be) ponytail for O.

From the 9/10 addition: M has nice hair but I've always liked shorter hair.

I love the R! I'd love to see a truly weird sacrifical costume, with a lot of floreal decorations and psychedelic colors. A lot of people with this weird costumes and weird ritual stuff, something creepy and ridicolous at the same time!

I especially like P, L, and O for clothes and body structure. You can see her personality in them I think. She seems independent, yet playful. And I really like D for the hat.

O looks like Pocahontas (so, no). N (cool head) definitely has the best look, and conveys the most personality.

with space boy, i think his hair should be buzzed every mourning at the beginning. So when he ventures from his daily routine in the game, his hair gets shaggier to show a progression of time. Really thick and ill managed because he's never had to deal with long hair before. Just a thought.

I like her pose in 1-H. That to me says TEENAGER. Clothing-wise, it seems to me that a young woman who becomes exasperated with the big fancy clothes and *ahem* alters them into something that suits her would end up with something like 1-O, 1-Q, 1-S. I think her hair should start as something elaborate and kind of ridiculous and then get torn down along with the dress. Some of the sketches (1-A, 1-P, 2-A, 2-F for example) are awesome but have a showboating look that doesn't feel right given my limited knowledge of the character

I like the idea of this awkward, quiet teenager who every so often will flip out and go on a dress-tearing rampage. Maybe she really loves her parents/village/whatever, but simply has to put her foot down against this sacrifice nonsense. Going for the obvious rebel-look just doesn't cut it.

TL;DR:

dfsacrigirl.jpg

dfsacrigirl2.jpg

In an effort to make him as horrific as possible, my placeholder monster is wearing socks with sandals.

I'm having fun ;-)

I think P is probably my favorite. Had some downtime at work and ended up sketching her a couple times on a blank piece of paper to kill some time. She sticks with me.

I especially like her short, bleached hair, and the lone feather centered in her headwrap. Those little details feel like they say an awful lot about her without saying anything at all. Assuming her village is a very traditional one, the more frayed haircut and unnatural dye suggests a quiet, determined rebellion against cultural norms, such as longer kept hair or being fed to a monster. The feather adds the idea of flight, of freedom, yet she only has one, a modest, but forthright, wish for release.

She strikes me as the most capable of the group, the most spirited, yet at the same time relatively low-key, calm, and collected; a quiet flame that takes great care not to consume the forest, while managing still to burn bright in its own way.[/pretentious]

Oh man! Update! I didn't even see til now. Hm, i'm liking the idea of the dress being a anger management tool for her haha. The entire concept of her being dolled up at first, then deteriorating into more of what her personality actually is, that is very interesting and I think it's definitely something you should go with or push further. Like, maybe the one picture with awesome hair could be a wig or artificial and she eventually tears it off to reveal her actual shorter, more inherently badass hair. And the same with her dress in that she tatters it to a point where it becomes an entirely different design. All cool things. Awesome dudes, I think this avenue is very worth exploring.

My personal favorite is E. There is something strong about her appearance. The long black hair, and engaging eyes make for a emotionally hardened young woman. Only objection is E does look quite old, perhaps to old for fourteen or fifteen :o

"D" in the first set and "E" in the latest update.

My reason?

In the initial drawings I was drawn to "D", superficially I was interested in the long slender legs of "B" because that tends to be something that attracts me physically but there was something youthful and "old soul" about "D" that really jumped out at me.

I realise this is much much too late to be posting my opinion but just thought I would share anyway.

Thanks for all the feedback, feedbackers!

Here are some color treatments of some of our favorites, plus a couple of new ideas thrown in for good measure:

art9_SG01_color.jpg

art9_SG02_color.jpg

art9_SG03_color.jpg

art9_SG04_color.jpg

art9_SG05_color.jpg

imho n°4 is astonishing, n°1 is good too

2,3 & 5 are too "classical".

dark skin & blond hairs=visually amazing, the girl has a sacral aura around her, something unusual, who calls attention.

The Second and fifth are my personal favorites. Again with 2, the narrow eyes and long dark hair give for an enduring exterior that holds a strong soul. Perhaps you could enhance her tribal ware and accessories much like the other drawings, but regardless 2's facial expression and posture give off a vibe of independence; something that the feels right for the character! :'D

Im prefering the last Picture, second choice would be... the second picture..

But to be honest they look way to much like Disney Princesses

Disney+aladin.jpg

Pocahontas-disney-leading-ladies-18561452-500-376.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback, feedbackers!

Here are some color treatments of some of our favorites, plus a couple of new ideas thrown in for good measure:

(...)

The colour scheme (apart from the zombie green) reminds me of Dune which is great.

I like the last one the most, not sure of the skirt, i like the collar but really hate the color of it, maybe try a few more colors and maybe a couple of light patterns to break it up a bit.

Definitely the third one! The first girl looks too old. The blonde seems too spoiled.

The others look like pocahontas.

Sign in to follow this