Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Art Update 7: Searching for Sacrifice Girl

There seems to be some patterns emerging from people's responses already. So ill throw in my 2c. I believe A-L are too sultry. The short skirt and narrow eyes make me feel like I'm looking at a character much older than 14. For example D, E, and J have a more adult look, rather than adolescent. They are amazing sketches, but they don't match what you were describing about the girl. N-S seem to be younger to me, a little more innocent and care-free. (Although being sacrificed would be quite the opposite of care-free).

Ah! Fun, another Quest for us!

I really love the basic idea behind the concept, but I don’t get why she should be an “independent, spirited,brave young girl. Unleast not in the beginning. If your destiny is to get eaten by a monster I would be kind of bummed or sad. Yes, she could turn into a confident young woman, but just after she discovers that they might be other preferable options than to be monster’s lunch.

So I would pick S or N for the start.

Oh, I really like this idea! Have her hair down in the beginning at the party, and then once she goes off on her own, she puts her hair up.

Yes,Exactly!The Hair as a Mood Barometer or a character of it's own.

Should also be easy to come up with some gags.

I really like the angles in her poses, plus the way she stands, and C-K definitely exhibit that. As for the outfits, N, Q, and O seem like they fit her personality...something thoughtful and slightly magical.

If I learned something from reading feminist sites is that independent girls wear pants. Or at least don't wear minis.

I personally like O and S maybe but its kinda hard to read in greyscale, however most of them to me appear too old to be a "teenager". I am not a fan of the massive head dress currently for the first few images, I am thinking maybe for the actual sacrifice however if it was me I would lose it as fast as possible ( probably heavy and hot). R to me look like she's angry and about to rip someones face off..... that could certainly go somewhere.

I like H. She has this cool, kind of deadpan, unimpressed expression, and her hair and dress aren't crazy.

P is my favorite because she looks quite triumphant in it. Like she just braved being sacrificed and came back alive and victorious!

I like the eyes and hair on O. Plus I think the animators and artists can do a lot with those features to convey a wide array of emotions and cool poses.

And the outfit in R is pretty hilarious. I think that'd make a funny ceremonial garb for maybe a priestess. Maybe SG's sacrificial dress could be shaped like a roast chicken or something :)

I like L and P.

Both L and P have the half-skirt thing going on, but I like L & P's darker coloring, L's leg stockings and P's hair.

But I'll go with P as my favorite.

My impression is the first range, A-K, feels older than the desired age range. Scaling the height down might be all that's needed to make those work. In that range, I'm drawn to G and H. G looks resigned to being sacrificed, and H is friendly looking.

I find the drawings around M cute, but I don't know if that's the style for a sacrifice.

In the second range, of darker drawings, I think the age feels more appropriate. I like N through Q. P is a neat pose and outfit. O looks friendly, and Q conveys determination or strength.

Most of them look a bit generic, besides R that looks interesting.

She lacks that certain characteristic to make her stand out, but I guess that’s something that would be done in a more detailed level of concept work once the basic look is figured out.

I like that all of those models have long legs, it appears that she will be tall and thin rather than a stunted little runt, though it be more original if she was chubby, plus, you know she was destined for a meal it kinda makes sense to fatten her up.

In any case good work would be glad to see how she develops in later updates.

I don't see a lot of people mentioning R so far but it reminds me of a Kachina doll. In terms of the designs for more native/traditional dress I actually prefer it...the way the robes block out the legs could give it a kind of floating/gliding movement, and if it was a costume change it gives a better contrast considering the main character designs are very slender & fey. It's certainly more distinctive where the others seem a little too Disney Pocahontas. I like the designs for B & C but I picture them being retro 60s/space themed rather than a village girl, almost Jetsons/Hanna-Barberaesque. I wouldn't oppose adding elements like that to distinguish the character stylistically from something generic and purely ethnic looking.

Loving it! O is my fav. by a considerable stretch, followed by I and the bottom N on more or less the same rank. Not sure quite how to articulate what I like about O but I think it's related to getting more feelings of warmth\depth\humility from her than the other girls. She looks kind rather than sassy. Based on my interpretation of the direction of the plot, I've imagined the character to be finding confidence as she grows in the story, rather than starting out with a hard exterior.

P fits the character's description the best, by far. I like the headband feather, it gives the design this ceremonial, ornate flair, but with a hint of tribal headdress. Coupled with the tattered cape-dress-thing, it gives her a nice survivor/makeshift "warrior" look. By far the most "Nausicaä" of the bunch.

N is my favorite example of the Kiki-like cute tough kid. A bit of a tomboy (with a cool head).

O is quite lovely, but she might look a bit too fragile. I just don't get that sense of adventure from this design.

I think the biggest "problem" with the rest of the designs is that they're a bit reminiscent of Ico's Yorda. Coupled with the theme of sacrifice, it makes them feel a bit obvious.

Random Thoughts

I'm not a huge fan of P. I'm sure it could look nice in the final drawing, but the overall shape of it just seems a bit "generic anime" to me.

I love the inquisitive, expressive eyes of S.

F's pose is striking in both its simplicity and its conveyance of character.

I think O is the most feminine out of all of them. I love how the shapes are all softer, but she still has a really strong look to her.

I don't think any one of these is quite right. I would take the 2nd N, her stance and gaze, her hair, and combine it with the diamond face from all the previous girls; that face shape really feels unique. Right now, the 2nd N, her face is too reminiscent of Lilli (particularly the eyes and the skinny neck). I think the eyes might be where I feel the most is needed.

O is no good. She's too unassuming, too blank to be a Miyazaki girl. She needs to look pensive and confident at the same time.

E, I, and N are my favourite choices from that bunch. When you said a boy and a girl, I assumed you meant somewhere from 8-15 years old; not 16-20. Of course this is just my opinion having no idea what the story will make the characters go thorough. I assume that there is a particular reason why they are the age they are. However, lately in gaming as a whole there seemed to be fewer and fewer child protagonists, with the majority having switched focus to adults with weapons and powers instead of stories of adventure. As this is an adventure game, somehow it makes me feel that a game with children going on adventures being released along side hundreds of games featuring generic adult characters would not only make it stand out but somehow make it just a little bit more special than it already is. What does everyone else think?

P and O are my favorites of the bunch. Really like the capey action P has, but O's head is fantastic.

N (2nd) and O are beautiful, and I love the "tradish garb" in R and how unhappy she looks about it. I like the softness in O, I like the idea of starting out with someone who isn't already a Chick Who Can Absolutely Handle Herself, Damnit™ which is the vibe I'm getting from P and Q, -I personally don't necessarily want super confidence straight off the bat. From what I recall, the idea to the game is sort of about growing as an adolescent, and more or less coming into oneself, and I don't expect all of that maturation and sureness to be packed into the character from the beginning if it's supposed to be about the process of growth. The idea of personal growth sort of makes me think of Chihiro and her journey in Spirited Away. I hope for unsureness, and awkwardness and self esteem issues.

( I actually didn't pay much attention to S before, but I like that design, too. Also for the record, I'm down with a character that's aggressive personality-wise as a defense mechanism. Ah, highschool.)

I really like the style of I & M, yet the one that really first caught my eye was E. I think I'm the first to notice the coolness of E.

Yet when thinking these Scott C. drawings eventually need to be interpreted by Nathan Stapely - D, H, and N would mix the best in his inherent existing style and look the most like something he might design himself.

"L" is great. I like the hair/dreds. It's always cute for a girl/lady to have hair falling into her face. It's important for the main character to be likeable.

The later drawings have a strong praying mantis/insect influence. I feel "L" is toned back from the insect feel just enough where it's not too strong.

I think "F" radiates personality (or, at least, emotion.) She seems unpleased with her situation but a little too cool to let on how much. Insouciant, perhaps, is the word.

N, O, S, E

But seriously, I like the ruffly bits. I think the wedge-shaped outfits are fun and more interesting than the hourglass figures.

O and P are my favorites. I like P's jacket (I think that's a jacket?) and O's face and design.

I agree with other posters that some of the poses and styles make her look too old or supermodel-posey for someone who's coming into her own as an individual and set up initially to be a sacrifice. I think O is resonating because it looks kinder and more humble than the others, but that's largely down to pose and facial expression. Some of the others in a similar position might radiate that feeling too.

Sign in to follow this