Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Art Update 7: Searching for Sacrifice Girl

man I really really love Scott's concept art style. Like, his simple watercolor pieces are always fun, but the stuff he does for concept art is just...so much more interesting to me!

D, G, J, K... man all of the first page I love the designs for! L, O, and P are also favorites!

O is my favourite of all of them but most of them are pretty good.

I really like that she may be a Miyazaki like hero.

I'd love to see a mix between E and P.

E has this confindent princess style look while P really does look independent and brave.

So I think those 2 would be a real good combination.

Oh yeah almost forgot... I really like the stance and costume of E and the head on P. Also I think she should be a little smaller perhaps?

EDIT: When I think about it a bit more: Give P the eyes of Q and you have a winner :D

N and E are definitely my favorite out of them all.

And PLEASE make the little fella from M a reality!

I really like the second N and P. I really like the face from O, but the rest of O seems kinda plain to me. Take the face of O and put it on N or P and I think it'd be great.

O and P are the two that stick out for me. P's clothing detail depicts what her origins/tribe are like. I like how it looks like she has a handkerchief or scarf around her neck. Probably good to have on an adventure. I also like what looks like a cape.

I'm definitely with the notion that A-L are a little mature. They also happen to be the ones that pack the most sex appeal into the character. The more innocent looks of M-S work best. The diamond head is obviously going to be more popular because of its femininity, but don't be afraid to challenge the establishment!

I really like the idea of the character starting looking like R then turning into either an N or O, which seems to be Scott's idea. There's also puzzle opportunity in costume changing.

As for votes: 2nd N, O, H, M in that order.

I love (P). the feather in her hair is great. Does she really have to prove that she's a girl by having a dress or skirt? Why not try to punch through some conformist barriers and instead take a note from Joss Whedon?

Adore the idea of the Miyazaki influence.

I love the sense of serenity and vulnerability in the circled ‘O’. I think it’s the peaceful look on her face combined with the delicate dress and the cool organic and soft styling of her hair. For me Adventure Games are attractive because their victories are through thought and consideration rather than strength and combat. I always loved that characters like Guybrush and Simon the Sorcerer were dweebs.

For that reason the looks with more ‘attitude’ to them that convey a sense of someone that could be an action hero don’t really work to elicit me to identify with them even though I like the character designs. Characters like ‘A’, ‘L’, ‘P’, ‘Q’ and ‘S’ feel too badass for me to really identify with.

I also like a sense of vulnerability for a character that might be sacrificed, when the character’s deeds reveal that she has reserves of strength and attitude rather than an overtly punky swagger. I’m really endeared by the idea of this serene character solving fiendish puzzles in ingenious ways and still having the same unassuming and youthful air all the while possibly with the suggestions of being a bit self satisfied going on behind the mask .

I really like the idea in circled ‘N’ and in ‘R’ of the grumpiness of the character at being in a goofy ceremonial costume and I think that the really impractical OTT version in ‘R’ is particularly fantastic. If the character’s adventuring outfit was a directly modified version of a ceremonial costume that she then tears bits off from and repurposes to be practical I think that would be cool.

I really connect with the sense of fun and youth in ‘M’ too. I want a character that is having fun at the bits when I’m having fun, feeling smug when she’s just solved a puzzle and I feel smug about the fact too, feeling awe at an amazing scene when I am etc. Quite a few of the concepts seem to have too much front or attitude to be that unguarded in the face that they present to the player.

O is my favourite.

O is undoubtably the best, but I think there's some elements of C and H that I'd like to see, not sure exactly what, though.

I see P and my first impression in Final Fantasy style…

Her pose, hair and dress remind me a lot of Yuna in FFX-2. This isn't really a bad thing in my view, though. I really dig that hair and hat!

I'm surprised E and J haven't been mentioned more. For one thing, I love the feathery dress designs, which give a bit of a magical vibe. They look exotic and elegant but simple enough.

O and S have very expressive eyes, which I think is a very important part. We're going to spend a lot of time looking at these facial expressions, after all.

M looks gleeful and that's pretty great. In most other pictures she looks some degree of sullen and/or sassy. Which is understandable, given what she'll be going through and how teenagers tend to handle hardship (i.e. by putting up tough fronts). M and a few of those on the first page have a little something heartfelt and genuine that I hope the final design will capture.

I'd also like to echo the idea that it would be really nice, if resources allow, that she (and by extension the boy too) had her character development expressed in the form of a visual change. Tearing her dress (L and P seem to imply this) or letting her hair down are good examples but a bit cliché. Maybe add something to represent her coming into her own, rather than removing something to represent her rejecting tradition. Or even both?!

(In fact please add P's hat on P to all designs. I cannot get enough of that great hat.)

O, although the dress needs a little more something (slanted length going down one leg) and maybe give her some sort of hair decorations

Additional thought:

If it's not what you're going for then it's fine but I also just realised that the most consistent aspect of the design is the short slip/dress thing that the characters are wearing.

I'd be interested to see what a character like 'O' or 'B' or 'F' might look like in some other forms of clothing. I understand that the femininity and girlishness of the character seems quite important but I do wonder how different the character would feel in something a bit like a sari, or harem pants or the like. I remember that one of the things that I always quite liked about the character design of Jasmine from Disney's Aladdin was that she wore a pair of pants that subtly designated that she was active and equipped for climbing and roof jumping while still being within the films established cultural norms as not overtly a tomboy if that is something you're trying to avoid in the character.

Also wanted to add that I seriously love the Peruvian hat thing with the two tassels that 'F' and 'G' are wearing. It humanises and rounds out the character away from being a blank slate for me.

There isn't really one that sticks out, so I'll just comment on a few things that pop out.

Also, I'm kinda bad at this so I'll try not to waste your time, but I'm doing that right now so-

Top N - I reaaaally like the shape of her head here. Probably my favourite facial shape.

Bottom N - I don't think the head fits. Yeah, it is cool, but having such a wide oval head makes her look more sad and depressed, even a little bit helpless.

O - The hair makes her look way older than 15. I like the scarf (I think it's a scarf) wrapped around her neck, but it looks like something she'd retreat her face into. It's design kinda makes me think that it is somehow holding her back like it has a grip on her or is manipulated by some other force to shackle her.

P - Heh. Looks like an Etrian Odyssey character (Probably due to the stance). I actually like a lot about this design. The top is a lot tighter to the body, but not at all revealing. I like the boots. I love the idea for the bottom, but needs a bit of touching up. She seems maybe too confident though, too... punk? I don't know.

Q - I like her huge hair um... spikes. They're cool.

S - Really like the hair and her eyes are really striking.

Also digging O and P. I know that's not particularly helpful without expounding on why, but I think you'll have plenty of other opinions to sort through!

One thing I'm not sure I'm thrilled about is her almost-clichéd personality. Spirited, independent girl? Perhaps these are the types of characters whose stories we'd ultimately like to tell and be told, but I get the feeling I wouldn't mind hearing a story about a character who isn't as immediately likeable. Perhaps a character who is prideful to the point of being destructive to herself and her relationships, or one that's willfully ignorant, or obliviously selfish.

I really like the look of J, but it seems, to me, like the character is about 18 years old.

For the actual character in the game, I think that either O or P(with a darker hair color) would be good.

O makes her seem a bit more reserved, not liking her fate, but going along with it for the time being.

P makes her seem much more independant.

I like the dress/pendant of D with the hair/head of O or Q. I think those 2 hair options would allow for a lot of "organic" movement as she walks around in the environment.

B

G

F

C

N (circled)

Are my five favourites. Apparently I'm pretty different to most posters on here.

Edit: O seems to be the popular choice. To me it just looks like a generic Pocahontas type. Give me something fresh and new.

One thing I'm not sure I'm thrilled about is her almost-clichéd personality. Spirited, independent girl? Perhaps these are the types of characters whose stories we'd ultimately like to tell and be told, but I get the feeling I wouldn't mind hearing a story about a character who isn't as immediately likeable. Perhaps a character who is prideful to the point of being destructive to herself and her relationships, or one that's willfully ignorant, or obliviously selfish.

Surely that a character is spirited and independent doesn't mean she can't be unique or interesting... and similarly, on the flip side, it would be easy to make a cliché prideful or selfish character too. Being spirited and independent are general traits exhibited by plenty of interesting individuals who are not one dimensional clichés. In my opinion spirited and independent people are more likely to wear more of their unique character and eccentricity on the surface rather than conforming to norms out of insecurity.

Why a small-town girl looks like an anorexic fashion model? Give her something to eat otherwise our beloved monster will be pissed.

Also tell her to wear something practical, not these fancy big-city miniskirts. It's not like once you become a sacrifice girl the floors start scrubbing themselves...

I like the first drawing of the girl like the K, J or C, in those concepts you can see the girl been very expresive and something like it will be one girl of his age 14 or 15.

I dont like so much with some outfit because in the concept R she dont look very happy with that suit, maybe with some costume like the P or O will be more appropriate to the girl, something simple but expression of her age.

My other favourites have been mentioned enough, so: R!

"Having to wear some stupid traditional dress just to get eaten by some stupid monster?" Yes, I can feel the funnies.

I totally love the pose, attitude and costume of "G". And for the facial expressions and also for the very charismatic attitudes "M" and circled "O" are very, very cool and fit the character description.

Thanks for this update.

Cool stuff.

Sign in to follow this