Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Art Update 7: Searching for Sacrifice Girl

7d981286.jpg

I know the message is incredibly subtle... (*cough*).... but I'm just hoping my favorite will prevail.

I think she'll share that bagel with you if you vote for her... (just sayin). A vote for O is a vote for bagels. =-)

This thread subject taken out of context ist brilliant. :)

I think my favorite alternatives of design at the ones at the top. The taller characters with smaller eyes, like alternative I and J and M. L is also nice, except for the alien eyes.

The ones at the top feel more toned down then the lower ones, and I would much rather see that kind of characters in Bagels artstyle.

N, R and S are my least favorites.

I like the ones that portray her as something normal, quirky, and generally the un-hero type for the beginning of her story. It really sounds like she's just an average Jane who gets sent to her death and has to become something out of that, so the images that don't have her in dramatic poses, but instead capture her doing something just generally quirky, yet decidedly just your average plain Jane appeal to me.

Bascially, she just has to have a memorable attitude/personality, but she shouldn't be 'Superwoman' or 'Jet Li' to start. That said, I tend to like N, O, S, G.

Why a small-town girl looks like an anorexic fashion model? Give her something to eat otherwise our beloved monster will be pissed.

That's exactly what I was thinking. In all drawings she looks a bit too twiglike for my tastes. But maybe the monster is not a carnivore and just an oversized cow or something.

I really like L and M. That probably has to do with her facial features. And I guess I'm starting to really like magical buddy. It would be nice to have a companion when travelling through these horrible monster lands ;-)

I like Girl E for its mysterious pose. It makes me think if there is more to her then just being SG or if there is more to her BECAUSE she is to be sacrificed.

The strong pose of Girl L stands out for me. Hints at a strong character which is very worth to be explored by the player.

G S M of course :)

Ok, seriously on this one, I think the non-circled letters show more poses which certainly give her an independent free-spirited feel. So out of those I like the not-circled N, M and A is also one of my favorites.

I like the expressions that are conveyed there and that the girl shows she has more than just being a sacrifice.

And yes, O is also a great picture, especially given her hair, I'm sure this could be incorporated in some kind of puzzle (maybe at some point a few puzzles are shared by boy and girl but they solve things differently).

So to remember my choice it's "O' Man" (or "moan", if that works for you).

I don't know if I'm sold on the diamond head- I think the "cool head" (N) Has more potential- it seems like it could work well in several angles, whereas the diamond is sort of off-putting in profile, I think.

I love the sacrifice-outfit stance ®, it's pretty much fantastic. I think that if it wasn't for her expression in this one, I would have gone for the beady eyes (M), but that might just be because I'm addicted to Scott's Great Showdowns.

Hard to say as it depends on how you want her character to be like.

Without knowing anything about her i like B the most, she's the only one who touches me.

G has a nice pose.

I, L and Q are my favorites, but really I'd be happy if any of these were chosen. They're great! Really love Scott's sketches.

I can't wait to learn more about these characters. I'm really looking forward to seeing how they turn out

My absolute favourite one is P -- she looks self secure, adventurous, sassy, seems to take her stand and she smiles. In my opinion that is the exact look of someone who does not accept her fate, but makes her own and finds her own way through the world

In addition sketch M is very nice -- very chilklike with a BIG innocent smile about the fun she seems to have, skiing on this . . . thing.

Drawings A-K all seem much more basic and sketchy, so I can't say I really like any of them.

But from L-S, I think O and P are the best. I'm sorry I can't exactly describe why- they just appeal to me on a basic level.

I wouldn't like her head to be TOO diamond-ish, she'll end up looking like an alien!

Also, the sacrifice outfit in R is pretty funny and I'd love to see that in.

I guess a lot depends on what the character is going to be. Ok, she's young and brave. But is she bright or dumb? Cautious or reckless? Selfish or altrusitic? Righteous? Misguided? Loyal?

Drawings at the top are very sketchy, it's often hard for me to say if I like them or not. C looks smart, geeky. D is dumb, self-absorbed. F is gloomy, but strong. E looks pensive and lucid. There is something about I that I can't quite put my finger on, some kind of quite charm. I think I like it.

The last drawings (starting with 'N') are more fleshed out. O, Q and S seem to have most personality at the moment. O is silent, maybe a little evil. Q is forceful, selfish, maybe righteous. S is childish, dreamy, awkward, could be smart. R is ridiculous, but maybe that's what you're going for. She reminds me a bit of Laverne in her tentacle costume. Also capricious.

P has that 'Little Red Riding hood' thing going on, meh

I cant's say I like N's head. She kinda looks like a frog, or maybe it's just a wrong angle :)

O and P, but especially P because she looks a bit like a rebel! She won't go down without a fight! And she really does have a Nausicaä thing going on there.

My favorites are O and S. I also like J.

I don't think P would work very well, it has too much of an anime feel to it.

In general, I'd really love to see a complex character with potential for drama. Tim mentioned that the story is going to be about "growing up". Large part of that seems to be about making mistakes, hurting people around you, and getting hurt, confusion, conflict (often pointless). At the same time, ambition, achievement, learning to see right from wrong, finding your place in the world, falling in love. So, it would be nice to see some of that. Of course a lot depends on how serious the game is going to be, which is unclear.

The character should provide enough subtlety and tension. This is the reason, why I don't particularly like 'P', for example. She seems too simple, lacks depth. Good for action platformer, not so much for storytelling.

I prefer "I" over the others. "O" and "P" are also cool.

On the other hand the head of "N" is really repulsive. I hope that the game is not going to be in the "big head" Psychonauts or WindWaker style.

Right now she seems like a heroine with little complications of her own. Her complication comes from the outside.

What I like about Manny and Guybrush is that they're nice, but have something in the essence of their being that makes you want to care for them.

I mean, Guybrush is a wimp who wants to be a cool guy and Manny is a living dead who lives the life of a dead living. They both have an essential identity problem you want to solve for them - and yourself because everyone has these problems to a certain degree.

Looking at her external problem, it would be interesting if Sacrifice Girl is really really nice but lacks ego.

She could be smart, funny, a bit absent minded and not sure what she wants with her life. Goes with the flow but doesn't really want to. A bit clumsy, avoids conflicts, wants to be liked and fears that the sky falls upon her if she says "no".

She may have a caring but authoritarian father.

During the game she gets stronger and learns how to stand up for herself.

B, E, F, G, and O could be a such a girl.

I think the dresses with the high waists work very well to make her look like such a person.

I like Girl G most. She looks self-aware and ready for adventure. She's not arrogant but extroverted and interesting. At the same time she has something vulnerable to her, that makes you actually care.

My Favourit is "F". I like the idea of an depressive girl for such an sacrifical ritual.

Enough of cool, sweet looking and super intelligent girls in Games.

Why a small-town girl looks like an anorexic fashion model? Give her something to eat otherwise our beloved monster will be pissed.

That's exactly what I was thinking. In all drawings she looks a bit too twiglike for my tastes. But maybe the monster is not a carnivore and just an oversized cow or something.

I really like L and M. That probably has to do with her facial features. And I guess I'm starting to really like magical buddy. It would be nice to have a companion when travelling through these horrible monster lands ;-)

Oversized gentle cow that is too well-mannered to reject a sacrifice seems interesting :)

But anyway, where I'm from we choose only the full-figured sacrifice girls and all the monsters seems to be happy.

I love (P). the feather in her hair is great. Does she really have to prove that she's a girl by having a dress or skirt? Why not try to punch through some conformist barriers and instead take a note from Joss Whedon?

I don't think it's about proving or conforming to anything, more that she was dressed for this greatly honorific ceremony. She's probably the pride and (edible) symbol of the village, so dressing her up all fancy-like is to be expected.

Sign in to follow this