Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Art Update 7: Searching for Sacrifice Girl

Bits wot I liked:

- The shape of the side-profile head of the first 'N' where she's laying back. I like how the nose and forehead are one continuous line, and the over all shaping of that, it's stylish.

- Love the clothing and hair shape of O in the last image

- Also dig the more tribal look of P. Maybe some sort of combo?

This is great! As a Ghibli fan I'm loving this.

My favorites (ranked):

3. P

2. O

1. N (that IS a cool head)

So, my vote goes to N.

Though I think both Nausicaa and Kiki are great characters, I'd go for drawing more influence from Kiki, as I think her personality is slightly more interesting.

Just a thought for the people saying it depends what her character is like: it's interesting that you think should necessarily be that way round. I find that when I'm designing bits and pieces that often it's a bit of art that inspires a bit of gameplay, or the way I drew someone defines some sort of personality quirk - or it becomes easier to see what the character is like when I know what they look like. So, in a way, by choosing what character art we like the best we're also giving input on what we think the character itself will turn out like. That's pretty exciting, and a hefty responsibility!

I love P. Especially with the idea of the bleached hair, if she's going to have darker skin. I think it will make her look a bit more unique and stand out. I also like the idea of the ripped dress. A bit like Prince of Persia maybe where his clothes get ever more ripped as the game goes on?

D is just straight awesome, but it's a bit too refined for a 15 year old look, but I like the nose and the shape of the face.

L is dramatic, but I like the face and the hair. It screams more adventuresome than most.

O typifies the queit, but brave girl. I like it. But is that the feel you are going for? Queit, strong, brave. Or more roguish, untamed spirit?

If you want untamed spirit that is definitely found in P. She doesn't give a flying flip about a sacrifice and is gonna kick that mosters' butt before he eats her. From her face, to her pose, and even her hair it all just says GTFO I'm coming through.

I really love R though. Cracked me up. It's the perfect dress for a sacrifice!

One thing I'm not sure about is the dress for any of these. I just wasn't sold on them. The only normal dress I liked was for O and it was the quiet dress.The rest just didn't really mesh with the image I have of the sacrifice girl. The faces were electric and their poses gave you a feel for the potential power of the character, but the dresses were all mostly pretty iffy.

I like R the most. The look of defiance on her face for being shoved into that silly dress is priceless. I can imagine her fighting all the way through the makeup process etc. The other's are somewhat too cute for me.

I'm really digging the feelings I get whilst looking at E and F. Dynamic, mysterious, fragile, pissed-off, depressed, happy, offensive (maybe against some weird boy from some other culture...) you name it.

I think that these designs capture a more complex character than some of the others. Of course this all depends on the storyline of the game

I really like S. There's just something about the curious look of her eyes combined with the laid-back slouch. Striped leggings are a neat touch; reminds me a little of Pippi longstocking.

I really like E and I, She looks carefree, even thought she knows she's going to be sacrificed. Not a big fan of the diamond head, it's a bit too praying mantis for me (just my 0.02c) :)

Honestly the girl has to match her surroundings, so pick the girl who matches what you envision the environment will be. Or match the environment to the girl :P

hard to pick one but I'd go with P as my favorite, N is good but it just reminds me Zelda Wind Waker design at this stage :P

Prepare for more information than you require:

Girl A: I like the pose she's in and the loose-hanging garments. If I imagine her wearing very plain garments, it suggests a sort of agility or wildness/naturalness to her. A jungle girl of sorts. But if I imagine those clothes as, say, an expensive dress, it makes her seem rebellious and headstrong. She seems very physical.

Girl B: Hm. This one feels to me like a very innocent, naive sort of character. Inquisitive but polite. Adventurous but a little shy and timid as well. She is curious about the rest of the world, but she's perhaps been a little sheltered. Her body also seems to jut forward the slightest little bit in the middle, which somehow suggests to me a sort of social awkwardness.

Girl C: The face and body language of this one suggest to me an insightfulness and intelligence behind her. When I look at her, she seems somehow pensive, like she might be the spiritual type and a bit of a poet. On the other hand, she could be the kind of intelligent character who is sort of deadpan with a bit of attitude and dry humor, always taking little jabs at things she finds absurd. I think she might be giving her people the finger for trying to feed her to a monster. Is she giving the finger?! This game is so edgy. But she's not super angry and emotional about giving the finger; she's kinda Daria about it.

Girl D: Ooh! I dig the threads on this lady. It's hard to say without any color or designs on the outfit, but the general shapes in the outfit evoke both eastern and african imagery in my mind. Wherever she is from, it is nothing like the West. The clothes seem a little dressy, though, or at the very least ritualistic. (SACRIFICIAL?!?!) She seems somehow noble or gentrified.

Girl E: This one seems to me a little wild as well. Not so much in a physical way like Girl A, but just in her mind. Maybe my brain is just kind of snagged on her facing-away pose and the way the skirt is blowing in the wind, but those are striking features. She's kind of facing away from you like her interest isn't so much in talking to people but getting out there, to the things her whimsical gaze was falling upon only a moment before, when her head was turned straight upon her shoulders. She's not really giving you her full attention. She's trying to be elsewhere, and you've momentarily interrupted her. Then you have the wind blowing the dress, but she's not all, "Wow! So windy today!" Instead, she really likes it. She wants it to carry her off somewhere maybe. Then there are the large eyes... often times large eyes suggest innocence, but I don't think that's the case here. These eyes seem sort of owly. Powerful and knowing.

Girl F: Ah, the wallflower pose. Maybe this girl is a little on the fatalistic and somber side? Or maybe she just don't give a damn. At any rate, I'm reading some classic teenage angst in that body language. Her face seems to exhibit seriousness or perhaps scorn. She kinda looks like if I don't leave her alone she's going to beat me up. AND! She has a really cool hat. She's looks kinda like Milla Vodello in a ski cap.

Girl G: Hm. This one is tough. Can't really get a good look at her face, and a face says so much about a character. In terms of her pose and outfit and such, I get the same sort of feeling from her as from Girl E, but more diminished. Those eyes are gone, so she doesn't have quite the same presence.

Girl H: Like Girl B, she seems sort of awkward, ungainly. Her face doesn't have the same innocence to it, though. She seems more upbeat and chipper.

Girl I: She's looking very hippie chick. Or should I say, hippie chic! That pose and expression suggest cool, laid back, open, friendly. Come sit with me on my blanket and we'll make beaded jewelry and play guitar.

Girl J: The pose and expression suggest rejection. She's turned away, but not in the same way as Girl E. The latter is more in a passive state of being turned away. That's just how she is. But this one seems to be actively turning away from me, rejecting me and whatever my problem is. And then she's casting that askew glance with one shifty eye... what does it mean? Is she giving me a dirty look? Or maybe she doesn't trust me and is eyeballing me with suspicion? Maybe she has a secret scheme that she's hiding from me? I don't think it was intended to be seen this way, but when I first looked at her, all the frilly lines in her hair and on her dress suggest to me a girl that was wearing a lot of large feathers. That seems cool to me.

Girl K: I'm getting some contrast from this one. That face is very dark, solemn, stern, serious. But the short ballerina-esque dress suggests a more dainty and girly character. She looks like a ballerina that would stab me.

Girl L: Another one that shows off very well the sort of headdress and skirt look that all the girls seem to have. I like the way this one has the little hair spikes that stick out.

Girl M: Is she a blob monster wrangler?!?! Such extreme hobbies.

Girl N: We should maybe leave this one alone. She seems too tired for adventure.

Girl R: That neckwear seems a little too loud to me. On the other hand... maybe if she and her people are very colorful and flower-like? And if the environment/village they are in were adapted to make their flowery outfits seem organic to the scenery, that could be pretty neat. I don't know if I like it better than the headdress and skirt or not, but it's interesting and provides a theme to riff on.

Girl N: Cool head indeed, though I think I prefer the more diamondy head for the PC. Maybe save the cool head for an NPC.

Girl O: I'm diggin' that scarf. Maybe Journey was released a little too recently to have characters with long scarves blowing in the wind behind them, but let's be honest: it looks really cool.

Girl P: Nice! I love this. It's got a very Square-Enix JRPG thing going on. All the girls have the bit of skirt blowing in the wind, but the skirt and cape COMBO?!?! I'm lovin' it already. Or maybe it's just a shawl and she's just a really well-dressed grandma, but it LOOKS awesome. I am also a ginormous fan of that feather plume in her cap, though when I imagine how that plume would look in more casual poses or in different scenes, I'm not sure how well it would play out on the animated version. But it definitely looks seriously rad here.

Top 5 Sacrifice Girls I would most love to follow down a rabbit hole based entirely on first glance:

Descending order from favorite to favoritest:

5. Girl A

4. Girl J

3. Girl C

2. Girl L

1. Girl P

Girls D, F, J, L, and P have my favorite hats. Girls A, D, I, J, L, and P have my favorite dresses.

O and P: I'm torn between awesome cape and awesome scarf, but I do like the flappy shoulder garments.

With certain girls, such as with Girl D, I really like their aesthetic appearance, but I didn't really feel as much personality radiating from them. That's what gave the girls in my Top 5 the edge.

I know I left out two of them and went out of order on the last bunch. Sorry! I got hungry!

D is my favorite. She seems like a person that was raised to understand her place in the world. I also like the length of her dress. I think someone that was raised to be sacrificed wouldn't put much effort into increasing their sex appeal like in some of the pics that are showing a lot of leg.... Especially L where there are even stockings, the sexiest of sexy clothing.

Circled N, E, J. I like how...unsual they look and they seem to radiate the "spirited" par of her character. it is odd that the more titled those big eyes are, the more they remind me of Lili (Q maybe the most) so i would rather have her look as unique as possible.

Sign in to follow this