Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Art Update 7: Searching for Sacrifice Girl

Yeah we really don't know enough to dictate what can and cannot be true of this character. Perhaps the free spirited girls are chosen by the village precisely because they become a problem for the traditionalists when they grow up! There are many different angles that could work here and I'm sure Tim has something cool crystallizing that we know little about.

Man, I have to say "P" is by far my favorite. Good pose, nice garb, overall great design. The hat with the feather is especially nice, guess it could be the remnants of the headress that she adopted in both defiance, and maybe still a sense of pride for where she came from. Design "P" though, more for when she'd have rebeled. I think "I" fits better for the character before she rebels. More relaxed, less overt courage and defiance, maybe just enjoying life without yet having the burden of death placed upon her. "M" would be a bit of her having fun, carefree, goofing off as kids often do. I think she wouldn't really have bleached her hair yet, though I could definitely see her doing that after getting outta dodge. Just love those diamond faces.

Hmm, yeah, my favourites seem to be O and S. There are other good ones, but those are best in my opinion. I guess P is third after them?

Found it very distracting the way she shows so much legs on all of the drawings. Makes it hard for me to take her seriously.

Apart from that I like M the most because there is joy and imagination there. To quote Thom Yorke of Radiohead - Being miserable is easy - being happy it tougher but cooler.

I'd like to identify with a character who is a teenager and faces death but still manages to stay somewhat detached and cool about things.

I don't know... my favorites are L and O, but they are SO different. I guess the choice really depends on the mood of the story.

Let's say L feels very heroic, O feels an average and more relatable girl.

Yeah we really don't know enough to dictate what can and cannot be true of this character. Perhaps the free spirited girls are chosen by the village precisely because they become a problem for the traditionalists when they grow up! There are many different angles that could work here and I'm sure Tim has something cool crystallizing that we know little about.

It's true but, when you consider the characters' purpose of defying cultural expectations and centuries of tradition in favor of her survival, how can bravery through independence not be a major element? Unless of course she's actually someone trying to be sacrificed but every attempt she does leads her further from that goal. I mean sure he doesn't come out and speak about the independence of this character but its really the next logical step as that would give both the motivation she needs to persevere in the face of such a wall that her society is and the emotional and intellectual tools necessary for her to have a chance.

Really nice sketches so far. For me a blend between L(the hair), O(the face) and A(the confidence) would be great.

And "LOA sketchy" is a funny name for her as well. :D

You make a lot of assumptions

You’re all making assumptions.

????

Suprlus already covered this pretty well but... where?

In my own post, I describe the impression each of the characters gives to me. Nothing about anything I said assumes that I know how SG will be in the actual game or that I have any feelings about whether or not any particular SG is the *right* one. In my response to Ettin, I point out ways Ettin's beliefs about the story and its characters could easily prove to be wrong and aren't the logical conclusions the post suggests they are. (i.e., pointing out why they are assumptions). These are not to be confused with my own beliefs about the game.

The difference is that Ettin assumes enough about the story in that post that he/she tries to lecture Tim on what he is doing wrong and what he should do to make the story better.

It's one thing to say, "When I look at Girl A, her appearance strikes me as a _______ kind of character." It is another thing entirely to say, "Tim, it doesn't make sense that suicide girl is a _______ kind of character in this story or that the clan leader is a ________ kind of character. What would make more sense for your story is if [own ideas here]."

One of those things makes more assumptions (and presumptions) than the other. I wouldn't have responded to it at all, if it didn't strike me as the student lecturing the teacher.

But I don't wanna ride this derail train any further either, so I'm stopping here as well.

Dang, based on your "student teaching the teacher" response I really hope my deductive reasoning doesn't land me in similar hot water. Then again haters have got to hate and we're all just better off ignoring whatever unconstructive criticisms or suggestions they may have.

a, f , n(not the cool head n), and p are my favorites. Give the feeling of being independent and self reliant, which I think is important for a character like Sacrifice girl. Could also go with a more subdued, frail look to prove that anyone can stand up for what they believe in, not just the strong.

E, H, and most of all – O.

Really good one.

Not complaining but always wanted to know – why to pick kid & teenage characters for most of your games? Why not adults?

I like the look of O. Looks sort of traditional, with lots of character (though they all have pretty good character). The pony-tail thing (or whatever it is) also looks like it'd look cool in-game, trailing behind her.

L is also similar, and is nice for more of a "sporty," modern, younger look.

I also like the style of "I", if you're going for a younger look (thought it looks a tad modern, and the setting of the world feels more traditional).

I like the diamond-shaped head, and the eyes of O are really striking.

Circled N, O, P and Q are the best, IMO.

I think P is my favourite. She just screams "independent, spirited and brave" at first glance.

P, G and O is my favourites. I wonder, is other main character an adult? We see children's characters are often since from Psychonauts...

P

Edit: Because it would remind me of my significant other.

The pose is of the asses of badliness variety.

The asymmetry in the skirt hem is appealing to the eye.

The hair bleached and short is solid.

tumblr_m8wknk1AFM1r7knixo1_500.png

I like the first N. It looks like she is lying on a hill looking out over familiar surroundings feeling good about here life and here self and maybe thinking of the future.

O & P look the most playful, as you would expect a 14(ish) year old girl to be. P looks like a strong kid.

The top set of charcters look very pretty and the dresses in E and J look lovely for older characters but you don't want to lose the innocence of the main character being a young girl.

These artwork updates are so insightful, lovely stuff!

I've seen like one or two people mention F so far, which is crazy because F is clearly the best. She looks kinda angry but like deep down in her soul angry, not raging surface angry. She is contemplating her anger, and will soon start kicking people in the face.

C is definitely a Nausicaa girl...

This triangle dress reminds me of some Alexander McQueen, particularly his Spring 2001 rtw show. He always has interesting textures, bringing together the artificial and organic in nice ways and he was always dramatic. His images usually portray strong and supernatural ladies. Some of his other shows has more tribal looks, especially his Spring 2003 rtw line. He also used lots of feathers...

The show: http://www.style.com/fashionshows/review/S2001RTW-AMCQUEEN

Dress 1: http://www.style.com/style/view/38/50/100015038.jpg

Dress 2: http://www.style.com/style/view/73/50/100015073.jpg

Dress 3: http://www.style.com/style/view/75/50/100015075.jpg

Dress 3 pt 2: http://www.style.com/style/view/76/50/100015076.jpg

Dress 3 - the inside layer is made of sea shells and the wire-berry jewelry on the shoulders was made specifically for the show

Dress 4: http://www.style.com/style/view/43/50/100015043.jpg - made of sea shells

Dress 5: http://www.style.com/style/view/86/50/100015086.jpg - made of microscope slides and ostrich feathers

Sign in to follow this