Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Art Update 7: Searching for Sacrifice Girl

P is the best one I think, mainly because she looks really courageous, and since she has the honor of being sacrificed, I think that's quite fitting.

I also like I though, because she has this sincere innocence.

First I like O, second would be P. Would be nice with colors ... but I think thats my choice.

I would enjoy to have a sacrificial mask for the Girl.

Or something that I could wear in my head while I chant her name ominously.

My personal favorite of the sketches would have to be O. I like her hair, but what really sells it to me is the attitude. To me, many of the other girls seem little bit stand offish, prim, or unrelatable. Meanwhile O, with her slightly more introverted look and forward facing stance presents to me more of a quiet intelligence. She looks spirited and smart without being brash or rude. This is a totally personal preference, as it's the type of character I would more be able to relate with. Perhaps it wouldn't be best for the game though?

Additionally, the design strikes a very nice balance to me between looking too mature, or too young. Her dress is is less flamboyant than many of the others, which makes her stand out on the sketch page in her own way. However one could also make the argument that this is inappropriate for the character, as it seems she's supposed to be all dressed up for the sacrifice.

Another one that I liked was L, definitely my favorite of the ones with hats. I'm also a fan of fancy tights. However, this design might err on the side of a little mature looking.

Lastly, my final favorite is Q. I like her sass without appearing prissy. She looks like she doesn't take anybody's crap. Again though, if done in a particular way, this design could be a little on the young side.

One of the only ones that I really wasn't a fan of was G, whose high heels stood out to me as a little meh. But again, one could make the argument that they are completely appropriate, as she's gussied up for the big event.

I've also seen a lot of people mention P, but I can't say I particularly like that one. It looks, again, a little mature, and maybe a little bit Final Fantasy.

That said, all of the sketches were fun and interesting, and I trust Double Fine to do something great with the character design! I really look forward to seeing what aspects you keep, and what directions the designs may go in.

I like F + J the most. They are a bit more mature, with a stern posture which fits someone who's sole purpose it is to be fed to a monster I guess...

I'd go for S if it has to be a young child. I think as someone around the age of 10 or so, you wouldn't feel the burden of your destiny too strongly...

Well, for what it's worth here's my two cents: Even some of the really rough ones appeal to me. I like A and C. Then, of the more polished ones I like "cool head" N, P, and Q. Of all of those, I think I like Q the best. I like the hair (I assume it's hair) hanging down in long sharp spikes. It would be cool, if the character winds up with long hair like that, if it would animate in windy places or something. I also like the clean silhouette, and the shape of her face. Also, in general, I approve of modeling her on a Miyazaki heroine. Always a good plan to borrow from the best. :)

I've seen like one or two people mention F so far, which is crazy because F is clearly the best. She looks kinda angry but like deep down in her soul angry, not raging surface angry. She is contemplating her anger, and will soon start kicking people in the face.

Exactly! Go F!

As an archetypal gaming male of advancing years I may have chosen N and O. However, as a father of a magnificently strident thirteen year old daughter I think P and S are most truthfully suggestive of the pose and attitude of a precocious young girl beginning finding her confidence at that awkward and delicate age.

I really love the basic idea behind the concept, but I don’t get why she should be an “independent, spirited,brave young girl. Unleast not in the beginning. If your destiny is to get eaten by a monster I would be kind of bummed or sad. Yes, she could turn into a confident young woman, but just after she discovers that they might be other preferable options than to be monster’s lunch.

I would say that both Kiki and Nausicaä are both independent, spirited, brave young girls at the beginning of their stories. That doesn't mean they don't have room to grow and learn things. There is no one, right answer for how characters need to be at the beginning of stories. And in this one, our hero is already independent, spirited and brave. That's why she makes the decisions that she does later in the story, and that's why her path through the world is unique to her.

Nausicaä is a princess, and Kiki is a witch from a small town.

What is SG's background? Is she just "another girl"?

She is an older sister in a regular family in a small village.

I just noticed that M is based off a Nausicaa drawing

I feel so stupid, I've seen that movie like 50 times

Tim, Sacrifice Girl cannot be like Nausicäa or any other free-spirited girl you mentioned.

She can, maybe, become one during the adventure, but she definitely cannot start out as one: she was chosen to have the great honor to be hush mumble mumble, which means that she is rooted in tradition and fits into the customs of her clan. It's an honor, and she loves it, and takes pride in it, the other girls are all jealous of her and trying to take away her enjoyment and... well, then she finds out that she's gonna die.

No self-respecting clan leader picks the independent girl heroine for a sacrifice, simply because that one has already run away from jerk clan and is not available for picking anymore. Or she has actually run off to kill the monster herself, but that's an entirely different story.

In that light, I would look for a design that shows innocence and the potential (but only potential) to stand against her fate. I love design O because of the barbed hair: the barbs are not part of her body yet, but she's gonna need to integrate those barbs if she wants to survive. The face looks a bit mysterious and slightly mischievous, I would cut out the latter in the beginning and make it more docile, or perhaps prideful reflecting her being the chosen one. A barbie with barbs, so to speak. Err. The other design look either so docile that they are going to be eaten by the monster, or so independent that they already ran off.

Um... thanks for the lecture, Professor? But I disagree.

I'm definitely in favor of L, Circle N, and O. L had the best feel for body and dress, but Circle N had the cool head, and bits of O just worked. Choices are hard!

Choices are hard!

It takes time, too. You wouldn't think "deciding on stuff" would be a thing that took up time on a schedule, but it is!

I liked O the best at first, but then, I started to get this thing about circle N.

And there are some others. Hmmm. I always need to stare at them for a long time. And then look at them while imagining them saying certain lines. Or standing in certain environments. Hmmm.

N, O, P and Q are better IMO. I think the other ones, particularly the earlier ones look too old for the characters intended age. I think it's because she looks too lanky.

I like those too, BUT I also like lanky.

When I think about the awkwardness of early teens, the concept of lankiness comes to mine a lot. Lanky like the kids in FLCL.

Now I've said the word "lanky" too much and its starting to sound weird. But I definitely told Scott that I'm looking for lanky.

Looking for Lanky is now the name of the game.

(No, it's not.)

Lets see some more art!!!

(Ignore Spaceship Boy for now, please!)

art8_sacrificegirl2_sg1.jpg

art8_sacrificegirl2_sg2.jpg

P.S. The idea with the big headdress and gown is that for the ceremony she's done up like a princess cake, but then... stuff happens.

art8_sacrificegirl2_gown.jpg

M "bad hair" is my favorite of the bunch. The messy hair makes it look like she's been through some sh*t.

They're all great though, I don't dislike any of them

And I will not ignore spaceship boy! He looks great too! I like spaceship boy G the best, he looks kind of awkward which is how I'd expect someone who's lived on a spaceship their whole life to be

Her hair getting more "natural" would be awesome. It's rather annoying for characters to have "perfect hair" throughout a game/movie no matter what they do. And the more ridiculously elaborate the "sacrificial dress" (or whatever it is) is the better!

And I don't think having a strong character at the beginning of the story robs the story of character development. For example the character could still be too proud or stubborn or some other emotional kink that needs to be ironed out by journey's end.

(Edit) FIRST BATCH COMMENTS: I find P to be maybe a tad on the Robin Hood/Peter Pan side. And I look at bleached hair as Hollywood lip service, even though this is a fantasy world. I never pictured our girl as someone who would need to redo her roots while adventuring. Natural hair is much more courageous and intense, I think, but it can still be innocent (see O). Along with the brave Miyazaki girls, I see some Mulan (Disney) in these sketches, and that girl had spunk! I'd love to see some of Mei's (Totoro) childish valiance.

I would say that O is the most sympathetic. Q looks like a schemer who bites off more than she can chew. I enjoy the hair styles in these sketches. It makes it look like they're wearing a chullo type headpiece. Maybe they are in some of them.

I would breed the intelligent D with curious C, adventurous L and innocent O. And displeased R. Aaaand the overall mystery of E. Although E doesn't catch your eye immediately, I am truly curious to know what she's thinking. Doesn't seem like she'll ever tell, and she's looking straight at you to tell you where she stands. I think she just became my new favorite.

It's very interesting to give these girls personalities, and I find it easy to do so! Great sketches.

SECOND BATCH:

Yeah, rip that gown.

I like O and P.

O has an innocence i think i feel is important to the character.... but there lies an eagerness to break the mold and be something more. Has a strength in the eyes.

P is just edgy... shows a more rebellious character. confident and willing to do anything to change her fate.

It depends on what direction you want the character to evolve. Maybe SG should be the stark contrast to the boy character. Is she more confident than the boy or vice versa. I believe the two character designs fall perfectly into the two categories.

O is my favorite, and is closer to what i assume the direction of the character is going. But possibly both could be used, and SG begins as O and over the course of the game gains the strength and confidence to become P

just my 2 cents.

Or perhaps the boy and girl are at opposite extreme ends of a spectrum and throughout the game the girl's personality becomes more like the boy's and the boy's becomes more like the girls and at the end of the game they are both at a healthy medium.

I must say I do picture her with long hair, but when she gets busy, she just wraps it up in something or balls it up and sticks something in it to hold it up. A tool she might need to use a lot, maybe.

Awesome hair and headdresses! It would be awesome to have several permutations of headdresses and hairstyles as she's making her way away from the monster/being sacrificed.

I love her modifying her dress - but why only taking away? Maybe that's a little too stripper-esq, she could add a burlap sack cape or a dead snake belt... picking up things as she goes along her journey eventually creating an outfit that mirrors her developing/maturing personality, like a lower waist on the dress, putting her hair up, etc.

Also, the haphazard passion she's showing is already endearing :)

Should she be composed or more chaotic like Ed from Cowboy Bebop?

I really love the basic idea behind the concept, but I don’t get why she should be an “independent, spirited,brave young girl. Unleast not in the beginning. If your destiny is to get eaten by a monster I would be kind of bummed or sad. Yes, she could turn into a confident young woman, but just after she discovers that they might be other preferable options than to be monster’s lunch.

I would say that both Kiki and Nausicaä are both independent, spirited, brave young girls at the beginning of their stories. That doesn't mean they don't have room to grow and learn things. There is no one, right answer for how characters need to be at the beginning of stories. And in this one, our hero is already independent, spirited and brave. That's why she makes the decisions that she does later in the story, and that's why her path through the world is unique to her.

I understand. But I think it depends if you wanna explain the charakter in the beginning or not. Yes, you can simply define it. But unleast you have to explain why she was chosen. Does she look Monster yummy? What does that mean?Do monsters prefer blondes, too? Why a girl?

I know exactly what you mean with lanky. Sometimes their legs grow in an extreme way that they don't look anatomically correct anymore.

I like the idea of a changing appearance. What is puberty?Basically a constant reconstruction of a body while living in it.

Maybe that's an interesting angle, you can do different stuff in different forms...?

I understand. But I think it depends if you wanna explain the charakter in the beginning or not. Yes, you can simply define it. But unleast you have to explain why she was chosen. Does she look Monster yummy? What does that mean?Do monsters prefer blondes, too? Why a girl?

Maybe she was chosen because she is so passionate/smart/strong - insecure men/women/human beings are threatened by those they can't control, and those who are stronger/smarter/etc. - but having things so clear cut can make for bad writing.

Plus, have you READ Nausicaa? She becomes a very different character at the end of the manga, she matures and understands the full range of human behavior, experiences, and suffering. While she's awesome at the beginning, she's a force to be reckoned with at the end, beyond anything I anticipated. She chooses her journey, however, and in many way decides who she becomes.

Sign in to follow this