Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

Sidequest: "I Got My Dream Job"

I loved the stuff about the guy that was the inspiration for Boyd and how messed up Double Fine's old offices were.

I think it'd be pretty awesome if we got a sidequest video for Tim as well, but I understand that it'd probably be a lot of work to put together since he's got quite the history with the video game industry.

We did that one about him at Lucas...

I think many of us could write his bio at this point.

I dig these sidequests. A window into the house DF built.

Great great job guys.

I just love the fact that all episodes are so fluid and are so easy to watch.

And i really liked Anna story, she inspires me to do something more :D

Alright, I need someone to explain the Robert Frost/pigeons joke to me...

Ah, so you're trying to get rid of the pigeons in that scene. The correct solution is to feed them something and they fly away. But you have a number of items you could try, among them a balloon animal in the shape of the American poet, Robert Frost. It's obv not the correct solution, but if you try to use the balloon on them to chase them away, this is what happens. :D

I like the idea that Robert Frost could be terrifying to animals.

EDIT: (This is Tim's fave joke) :D

Great sidequest, as ever.

What on earth is that drawer recessed into the table containing?

Probably electrical outlets / computer cable stuff

I loved the stuff about the guy that was the inspiration for Boyd and how messed up Double Fine's old offices were.

I think it'd be pretty awesome if we got a sidequest video for Tim as well, but I understand that it'd probably be a lot of work to put together since he's got quite the history with the video game industry.

We did that one about him at Lucas...

...Oh yeah, I feel stupid now. It'd still be cool if we could hear Tim talk about the early days of Double Fine in detail (Unless he's done that already, too, and I'm just the most forgetful person in the universe).

Would a video of Ron ever be possible? I know he's not part of the REDS team, but he is of a lot of interest to the backers. Perhaps after The Cave goes gold and he's not as busy?

Hey, a fellow Rutgers alum.

Hey Anna, did you have any exposure to games in the USSR? I've always been kind of fascinated by soviet gaming. The games were mostly very bad and the hardware seemingly 10 years behind, but it was interesting because they seemed to be largely the result of people looking at pictures of European games and trying to figure out what they must be like; chasing this sort of idea of what gaming was without a great deal of exposure to it.

Hey Anna, did you have any exposure to games in the USSR? I've always been kind of fascinated by soviet gaming. The games were mostly very bad and the hardware seemingly 10 years behind, but it was interesting because they seemed to be largely the result of people looking at pictures of European games and trying to figure out what they must be like; chasing this sort of idea of what gaming was without a great deal of exposure to it.

I didn't really have much exposure to games there, no.. Just the arcade I was talking about (check out the link Paul posted, above, to play some of those). The Pong machine I played a lot was marketed as a sports collection. "Not just boring tennis, play tennis doubles! Play soccer! Play Hockey!" but it was in fact just Pong with varying arrangements of paddles. For "soccer", it was something like 6 of them for each side and an extra one for a goalie, such that when you twisted the knob clockwise vs counterclockwise, a different line of paddles would move (I may be making this up).

There was some impressive-looking racing game in that arcade that I never really got to play, because it was too 'spensive and there was always a line of older dudes there and I was intimidated. :D The Pong sports collection was the equivalent of 1 quarter, which was much more in my price range, and sometimes the nice older dudes would even come over play it with me.

At the time I was there, consoles and computers were pretty much nonexistent for most families. A friend of mine did have a

I played, but that was about it. I heard that the Hobbit (XZ Spectrum clone) was a big deal after I left, but I missed out. :/

Wonderful back story! Thanks for the inspirational video Anna. I always get excited to see the different ways people get into the industry.

Wow. What a fantastic story! I was not expecting a look into growing up in the USSR. And Kiev looks AMAZING

The rat that quickly appeared on the lower right when Anna was talking almost made me jump.

(...) (I live and was born in Austria in 1980, and the first time I went to eastern Europe in I think 1990 to the Czech Republic with my parents it was so different there, I can only assume the other way round it was even a bigger culture shock for a child...)
How do you go from West to East by travelling North? :|

Well, geographically huge parts of Austria are of course more eastern (though I'm from western Austria), but I meant with Eastern Europe more the former soviet influenced sphere than anything geographical. Also back then it still was Czechoslovakia or CSSR, and Slovakia definitely is more eastern than Austria :-)

ANNA KIPNIS is one of the most singularly impressive people I've encountered, certainly in the past year.

MOLYJAM was amazing... and it's thanks to Anna that it happened.

She simply rocks.

really nice. this was really indepth.

"pick a non-sequitur" lol. that FSM looks a lot like it could work even for politicians hehe.

paul: do you plan to add post-sync voice-over for your questions? right now its difficult to "just listen". i understand that you are likely to have a very good reason why you shoot it this way, but it could be detracting in the final product.

The milkman level from Psychonauts is one of my all time favourite sections from any video game. Pure brilliance.

I didn't really have much exposure to games there, no.. Just the arcade I was talking about (check out the link Paul posted, above, to play some of those). The Pong machine I played a lot was marketed as a sports collection. "Not just boring tennis, play tennis doubles! Play soccer! Play Hockey!" but it was in fact just Pong with varying arrangements of paddles. For "soccer", it was something like 6 of them for each side and an extra one for a goalie, such that when you twisted the knob clockwise vs counterclockwise, a different line of paddles would move (I may be making this up).

There was some impressive-looking racing game in that arcade that I never really got to play, because it was too 'spensive and there was always a line of older dudes there and I was intimidated. :D The Pong sports collection was the equivalent of 1 quarter, which was much more in my price range, and sometimes the nice older dudes would even come over play it with me.

At the time I was there, consoles and computers were pretty much nonexistent for most families. A friend of mine did have a

I played, but that was about it. I heard that the Hobbit (XZ Spectrum clone) was a big deal after I left, but I missed out. :/

Yeah, right around and shortly after the time you left, they got a few Spectrum clones, and the Dendy, an NES/Famicom clone, which opened everyone up to a lot of the rest of the world's gaming (and for a time, pretty much replaced home-grown games, which were way behind). Before that it was a handful of Russian Engineers cloning Atari hardware, and then people on home computers just sort of imitating these ideas of what games were without much exposure to them directly.

Was this the racing game? It was a clone of an old Atari game from the mid-70s, but I think that was about as good as it got except for maybe a couple East German machines.

I've seen that Game and Watch before. Based on a TV cartoon, IIRC. I don't know why I geek out about these things. I'm not from the USSR, I grew up in Philadelphia, but I always wondered what it was like for kids in the rest of the world.

Incredible story!

I also totally agree with the way Psychonauts has held up all these years as apposed to the more realistic games.

I really feel that most of DF's games are like this; all classics where there is a reason why I have to play your games rather than a new game with similar gameplay mechanics.

Milkman conspiracy is my favorite part of Psychonauts too.

Hope the sequel is still over the horizon :)

Very interesting video!

But it would be also interesting to hear some technical details. What languages do you program in, what software do you use and stuff like that.

Also, hello from Ukraine!

Another awesome side quest.

Very inspiring story, Anna!

And I agree that we should get a sidequest with Ron!!!!

You rock, Anna! You definitely have some great stories both about your childhood and the early days of Double Fine!

Who knew that Boyd was based on a real person! And the Milkman Conspiracy level was awesome! Christopher Nolan totally ripped this level and general game idea for

:D

Just curious as to what are some of your favorite games of all time, Anna? Aside from the ones you worked on that is. :)

Very good sidequest! And you have interesting past (also the present and future looks interesting) Anna.

I truly like these interview sidequests.

Looking at some of Tim's old blog posts I found this one from Wednesday, June 5, 2002 to be interesting:

New, awesome awards and lists and stuff from teamxbox and UGO on the products page!

Reading that UGO list, it occurs to me that there are a lot adventure games in production. Are they making a comeback? Or have we just widened the definition of the genre? I suggest you have some people over to your house tonight to discuss this issue. Snack suggestion: Grapes.

One wonders just how long Tim has been waiting for the chance to make a new adventure game.

Christopher Nolan totally ripped this level and general game idea for
:D

And of course now you're thinking "Man, that would make a great mash-up with the a capella Inception trailer":

http://tinyurl.com/97qc46p

youtubedoubler doesn't allow fractional-second delays so it's not quite in sync. Mute the left video and pause it for about 300ms.

This is ever-so-slightly on point because I know Anna loves the acapella dub. Oh man, and so do I. I'm crying right now :'D

That was a great sidequest. Anna has a really interesting history, and the Milkman level was one of my favorites in psychonauts! I'm sure her contribution to DFA will be awesome, and I look forward to learning more about the team.

Sign in to follow this