Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ColtonPhillips

Moai Dev

Hey all,

Game Developer from Victoria B.C. I'm learning Corona for a Contract job, and I'm learning Moai in my spare time. I don't really have any friends that are going the Lua route, I figured this would be a great place to ask. Anybody here interested in learning Moai, or is using it right now? I'd love to chat with you on Twitter or on the Facebooks

Cheers

C

Hello there, I'm not a professional game developer, but I am a professional C++ developer (for more years than I care to remember), as well as a fan of duck typed languages like Python and now Lua (which is refreshingly lightweight compared even to Python).

I've been learning Lua and MOAI in my spare time as well, and have to say they're pleasantly productive. MOAI is a nice toolkit, despite the patchy documentation and out of date examples. Zipline seem to have gone a little quiet recently (or at least that's my impression), I assume they're working on some internal projects rather than moving MOAI forward themselves. However that's ok as there seems to be a fairly lively community over on the getmoai.com forums.

What are you coding in MOAI?

Hello there, I'm not a professional game developer, but I am a professional C++ developer (for more years than I care to remember), as well as a fan of duck typed languages like Python and now Lua (which is refreshingly lightweight compared even to Python).

I've been learning Lua and MOAI in my spare time as well, and have to say they're pleasantly productive. MOAI is a nice toolkit, despite the patchy documentation and out of date examples. Zipline seem to have gone a little quiet recently (or at least that's my impression), I assume they're working on some internal projects rather than moving MOAI forward themselves. However that's ok as there seems to be a fairly lively community over on the getmoai.com forums.

What are you coding in MOAI?

Yeah that is what seems to be really cool about lua so far is that it seems to be pretty productive. I'm mostly at the phase where I'm curious what a full game made in lua looks like. Been busy lately, haven't gotten too much time into Moai. I'll probably code a simple mobile game :)

I'm a professional game programmer who has been working on an adventure engine in my spare time. It's more-or-less fully functional, and might give you a little insight into what a MOAI engine can look like. Feel free to check it out, or to drop me a line if you have any questions about game development/lua/MOAI/anything :)

I'm a professional game programmer who has been working on an adventure engine in my spare time. It's more-or-less fully functional, and might give you a little insight into what a MOAI engine can look like. Feel free to check it out, or to drop me a line if you have any questions about game development/lua/MOAI/anything :)

Hey that's awesome! I'll dive into it soon :3

To develop on linux did you have to basically build a moai host yourself? There's no linux host provided when downloaded from the website

C

Sign in to follow this