Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JediJedah

Swamp without snipers????

It's really hard to understand where you're having trouble with your emplacements without some visuals, so I can't really help you there.

Aside from that, you really should focus on reinventing your strategy.. Making minor changes like switching from Archies to Ironclad isn't going to be the game changer you need. It's a good step forward, though.

I'm a bit confused about your interest in the Selker 1. Yes, it's the odd-ball chassis, but why would you want to use it after assuming a two man team? And then having a duo Selker 1 team? It just doesn't make sense unless of course you're just furthering the challenge, which I'm all for.

Selker I allows you to build everything you need for solo play. Thats the main thing with it. I don't really have anyone to work with, so I don't have much of a duo option. I'd prolly have a honeychurch and woodruff if I did a duo w/ someone. The selker I has its perks and its downfalls. Aside from armor, the most obnoxious thing about it is the size....I get stuck behind the 2 trees in the center on long path occasionally when I'm not paying attention whilst running down from the air spawn area...only trench that ever really happens to. Next time I decide to use my laptop as my screen (usb capture card) I'll take some screen shots of emplacement positions. I try to be really descriptive (which may just seem like rambling when describing positions....idk)...

There's only 5-6 spots you need dampeners on swamp.

Two on each end of the bridge (pictured in screenshot below), one on the side of the conduit ramp leading towards the bridge, one on the inside of the bend leading up to blue, and one at each base. Anything beyond that is superfluous.

swamp.jpg

This setup is pretty much as efficient as you can get dampener-wise. None of them overlap, and if you place them juuuuuust right, their footprint doesn't interfere with any other emplacements. Also, the only dampener that ever gets hit by burst transmitters is the one at the end of the bridge closest to the green base (the right dampener in the screenshot).

My new solo record! Died on 88 last night (so I made it to 87). I'm highly skeptical this could have been done w/ ironclad flak alone. I used archies and noticed they hit the vault if you build them up too high where you can't upgrade them by blue. When I caught a double vault wave in the late 70's or on 80, they each hit blue once....so I pumped out a dozen or so archies around green and blue and stopped working on mines as much. Double bertha wave on 88 is what did me in...they soldiered on through the mines and I just couldn't stop them in time. I had almost no health on both bases during the early 80's...that last 20-30 minutes was freakin' tense. When it comes to survival...its 100 or nothing...but that sure was gratifying finally getting past the 60's solo.

There's only 5-6 spots you need dampeners on swamp.

Two on each end of the bridge (pictured in screenshot below), one on the side of the conduit ramp leading towards the bridge, one on the inside of the bend leading up to blue, and one at each base. Anything beyond that is superfluous.

swamp.jpg

This setup is pretty much as efficient as you can get dampener-wise. None of them overlap, and if you place them juuuuuust right, their footprint doesn't interfere with any other emplacements. Also, the only dampener that ever gets hit by burst transmitters is the one at the end of the bridge closest to the green base (the right dampener in the screenshot).

If you're solo'ing w/out collection, you NEED a dampener by bridge spawn so shredders in the trees have more time to make scrap. Either on the left hugging the wall or barely touching the top of a small piece of grass where the hill juts out slightly on the right. I been going w/ the spot on the right, so I can put 4 emplacements between air and bridge conduits (3 shredders and 1 archie). Dampeners don't get broken in those 2 spots. A lot of scrap disappears whilst running around shooting and building, the more scrap on the field the better. A triangle pattern of dampeners works really well on the bridge, but there are times where the top point (closest to long path underneath to blue) cancels out the one on the right (closest to green, which you've pictured). A dampener dead center on the middle support beam of the bridge doesn't get taken out.

If you're solo'ing w/out collection, you NEED a dampener by bridge spawn so shredders in the trees have more time to make scrap. Either on the left hugging the wall or barely touching the top of a small piece of grass where the hill juts out slightly on the right.
one on the side of the conduit ramp leading towards the bridge

I don't know what "triangle pattern" you're talking, but the two dampeners in the screenshot are more than enough to cover the bridge and both paths below. Anything beyond that is redundant...and just takes room that can be used for emplacements.

If you're solo'ing w/out collection, you NEED a dampener by bridge spawn so shredders in the trees have more time to make scrap. Either on the left hugging the wall or barely touching the top of a small piece of grass where the hill juts out slightly on the right.
one on the side of the conduit ramp leading towards the bridge

I don't know what "triangle pattern" you're talking, but the two dampeners in the screenshot are more than enough to cover the bridge and both paths below. Anything beyond that is redundant...and just takes room that can be used for emplacements.

Under the bridge, the center column...on the right side...if you put a dampener dead center...bursts don't take it out and things get slowed down before they get under the bridge....hence a 'triangle' pattern. sometimes this nulls out the dampener on the right (closest to green), sometimes it doesn't...idk why.

I found a neat little glitch spot. Down at the cut-through in the center of the map on the left of the bottom of the bridge, everybody knows how you run through there at an angle to get up to blue path....if you keep walking diagonal into that corner and just walk in place (running seems more reliable, but I try to collect scrap while doing this)....the blitzers freeze right in front of the shredders. Walk in place in that nook where you'd normally hook right to hop up to blue path, shoot the burst transmitters (while hoping the blitzers don't snap out of their stupor), then keep walking into the corner until they all explode and the wave finishes. My best run on wave 1 doing that got me 108 scrap after 3 shredders were put down in the beginning of the wave. I've been trying to squeeze more shredder space in down there and I put one shredder real close to the center bridge column and one a hair from the corner on the opposing ledge and then I put the 3rd one in the water below the center of the ramp between the first 2 shredders. I think that 3rd shredder glitches the blitzers out a li'l better when its on the dirt, however. Still trying....haven't broken 88 yet...

edit: made 110 scrap doing this on wave 1. I think its best to run in the corner after shooting the burst transmitters and wait for the wave to end before picking up the scrap

MY NEW RECORD! as a duo....we cleared 88 and died on 89 (previous was clearing 87 and dying on 88 solo).....without mics. My partner's headset crapped out after our 2nd restart while we were on deck conversing strategies and such. I ran a woodruff and he ran a hamer. Part of me ponders about how beneficial lasers could be now, considering how annoying knobs and cathys can be in later waves and having to replace emplacements periodically. We managed to keep the first vault out of the vault pair that came out in the early 60's from getting a shot off, but the 2nd one did. We had a shakey start too....taking some light damage before we got in the 20's from a pack of aerials. It was most gratifying to make progress finally.

BTW, I wanted to tell you... I was thinking about your swamp no snipers challenge, and I wondered if you had tried using ironflak over archies, since the Vault is giving you trouble, and the ironflak has higher single target damage?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just noticed the post prior to this where you already ponder ironflaks. Sorry! =D

EDIT2: I just corrected a mistype. I wrote "survivors" when I really meant, "snipers."

I found a neat little glitch spot. Down at the cut-through in the center of the map on the left of the bottom of the bridge, everybody knows how you run through there at an angle to get up to blue path....if you keep walking diagonal into that corner and just walk in place (running seems more reliable, but I try to collect scrap while doing this)....the blitzers freeze right in front of the shredders. Walk in place in that nook where you'd normally hook right to hop up to blue path, shoot the burst transmitters (while hoping the blitzers don't snap out of their stupor), then keep walking into the corner until they all explode and the wave finishes. My best run on wave 1 doing that got me 108 scrap after 3 shredders were put down in the beginning of the wave. I've been trying to squeeze more shredder space in down there and I put one shredder real close to the center bridge column and one a hair from the corner on the opposing ledge and then I put the 3rd one in the water below the center of the ramp between the first 2 shredders. I think that 3rd shredder glitches the blitzers out a li'l better when its on the dirt, however. Still trying....haven't broken 88 yet...

edit: made 110 scrap doing this on wave 1. I think its best to run in the corner after shooting the burst transmitters and wait for the wave to end before picking up the scrap

I just tried your strategy 5 times, and each attempt I don't have enough time. By the fifth attempt, I drop one shredder on the top of the bridge on the green base end and by then I have to sprint away to the slope of the hill. I don't know how you're dropping 3 shredders and then making it to that hill spot that glitch spot that you're talking about in the amount of time that I'm dropping 1 shredder and then running. And even then I find that the burst transmitters get at least 1 shot in before i can shoot them. Where are you putting your shredders that you're having time to do all this??? I'll upload a video of my attempt if you want to see.

I just tried your strategy 5 times, and each attempt I don't have enough time. By the fifth attempt, I drop one shredder on the top of the bridge on the green base end and by then I have to sprint away to the slope of the hill. I don't know how you're dropping 3 shredders and then making it to that hill spot that glitch spot that you're talking about in the amount of time that I'm dropping 1 shredder and then running. And even then I find that the burst transmitters get at least 1 shot in before i can shoot them. Where are you putting your shredders that you're having time to do all this??? I'll upload a video of my attempt if you want to see.

Put all 3 shredders on the left of the bridge AT THE BOTTOM. Where the dirt is and those 2 sections of wood with the ramp in the middle to run up to blue path.....put 1 shredder on the center of the chunk of wood on the right (a li'l past the center support column), the 2nd shredder a little past the end of the wood on the left side of the ramp (don't put it on the corner directly, that makes it a li'l harder to get up the ramp) and the 3rd put between those 2 to make a triangle pattern.

BTW, I wanted to tell you... I was thinking about your swamp no snipers challenge, and I wondered if you had tried using ironflak over archies, since the Vault is giving you trouble, and the ironflak has higher single target damage?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just noticed the post prior to this where you already ponder ironflaks. Sorry! =D

EDIT2: I just corrected a mistype. I wrote "survivors" when I really meant, "snipers."

Ironclad may have better range, but not nearly the same amount of damage when the vault flies directly over archies. 5 fully upgraded ironclad by green wouldn't take down the vault in early waves, but 5 archies would, for example...prolly jabbered about the range/damage aspects in that post you read. I'm really curious about an archie/laser combo for the vault. I gotta get online to see if one of my buddies on there wants to try it w/ 2 engineers since I won't dare go w/out mines when I don't have snipers. I still get on sundays for leaderboards...had bad connection issues doing a trio, but no issues as a duo...was rather annoying.

I offer all the lulz, congrats :3

TY. In case if you haven't noticed, 'swamp w/out snipers' is all I do when brigade'ing other than leaderboard day. I don't know how long this is gonna take but I'm gonna figure it out someday.....

I found out something very interesting today....Lasers hit the vault outside the map! I was all OMFG!!!! Finally found an edge to not have to worry about the vault anymore! Mines and mortars for the ground with archies and lasers for the air. I don't think its possible to solo 'swamp without snipers' anymore, what with considering either the bertha pair or a willy train will take base health from 50 to nothing in 1 wave in the 80's. I don't know why people think that ironclad flak is so much better than lasers after I've been experimenting with lasers the past couple days. The range is 10 higher on the laser and the damage is higher too. Been working on this for months....its only a matter of time now....

1. You use mortars? Where on swamp do you put them?, and

2. would you please post a screenshot of where the laser (or lasers) are placed that hit the vault outside the map?

I've tried your no sniper challenge, and iirc, I've only made it to like 40s or 50s. I only have the game for the PC, but I've given thought to buying the XBOX version just to play with you pro's.

1. You use mortars? Where on swamp do you put them?, and

2. would you please post a screenshot of where the laser (or lasers) are placed that hit the vault outside the map?

I've tried your no sniper challenge, and iirc, I've only made it to like 40s or 50s. I only have the game for the PC, but I've given thought to buying the XBOX version just to play with you pro's.

1. A buddy i duo/trio with brings the mortars. He puts them in the trees by bridge spawn, on the right side of the bridge, and diff spots on the map, depending on the flow of 'should we go more anti air or ground atm'

2. One day when I'm not so lazy...yes. You can jump out the map by blue in an engineer or woodruff trench and the lasers hit right between blue and green and they hit along the area where all those trees are by the water conduit till a good ways down the wall where you ran past to get to those trees.

JediJedahPirate is my gamertag. idk if i'm 'pro' but i've done a few things in this game such as all 3 survivals complete w/ a selker I, hospital solo w/out snipers, 87 solo on 'swamp w/out snipers'....never got perfect base health, though

Also...NEW RECORD....was duo'ing w/ Toxic and he made it to 91!!! We got disconnected in the 70's. He was doing ground and I was doing air..vault got him in the end....I got kicked to title screen.....*grumbles*...

NEW RECORD! MonoxidexChild duo'd w/ a buddy of his and they got disconnected and he made it to 92. I have a personal duo best of 90 now, also. For some freakin' reason the Amp eats turrets on the bridge from underneath the bridge... soooo many mortar turrets had to be replaced.

For some freakin' reason the Amp eats turrets on the bridge from underneath the bridge... soooo many mortar turrets had to be replaced.

I have an idea for that. At the second base there are those things that look like metal silos. I put a peircing sniper on each one and Willies, Amps, and Berthas are a worry of the past. Also great for those stupid Vaults. But I've only solo'd to about round 25 or 30 so that could be the mistake I'm making. Dampeners are also important, but place them out of harm's way, because otherwise they're way too hard to defend due to jacobs.

Its often worth it to purposely put dampners in harms way when it comes to dealing with jacobs.

They are the cheapest turret to replace and it is always better to have the Jacobs focus on them rather than a sniper turret.

Search around the forums for "jacob traps" and "knob traps."

For some freakin' reason the Amp eats turrets on the bridge from underneath the bridge... soooo many mortar turrets had to be replaced.

I have an idea for that. At the second base there are those things that look like metal silos. I put a peircing sniper on each one and Willies, Amps, and Berthas are a worry of the past. Also great for those stupid Vaults. But I've only solo'd to about round 25 or 30 so that could be the mistake I'm making. Dampeners are also important, but place them out of harm's way, because otherwise they're way too hard to defend due to jacobs.

This thread is 'swamp without snipers???'. Meaning NO SNIPERS on the map. I use lasers sometimes while experimenting on this, however. The game may call them a sniper when you deploy it, but I really don't consider them to be a sniper considering the damage difference and functionality of the laser. I have no problems going solo on all 3 maps to completion whilst using snipers. Honeychurch FTW!

Its often worth it to purposely put dampners in harms way when it comes to dealing with jacobs.

They are the cheapest turret to replace and it is always better to have the Jacobs focus on them rather than a sniper turret.

Search around the forums for "jacob traps" and "knob traps."

Jacobs don't go after anything...they just protect what does go after things....meaning any other variety of tube. When theres nothing but jacobs on the field, they march along to the base and scare the crap out of you (at least in the 80's). I do throw dampeners out as decoys for burst transmitters, however.

Putting 3 shredders down right when wave one starts (left of bridge...1 on each corner of the ramp and one in the center between them where the dirt touches the water), i managed to make 142 scrap after wave 1 yesterday. I just thought that was worth mentioning.

Jacobs don't go after anything...they just protect what does go after things....meaning any other variety of tube. When theres nothing but jacobs on the field, they march along to the base and scare the crap out of you (at least in the 80's). I do throw dampeners out as decoys for burst transmitters, however.

My mistake, upon re-reading I see I was not very clear. I meant to reference the groups, such as bursters, that the Jacobs would be protecting. I agree that the Jacobs do not attack turrets. I only meant to say that it is OK to sacrifice a turret here and there, just try to make it a dampner. With the theory that while bursters are focused on destroying a low cost turret, this provides valuable seconds for you to take care of the jacobs before an expensive turret is in danger.

My mistake, upon re-reading I see I was not very clear. I meant to reference the groups, such as bursters, that the Jacobs would be protecting. I agree that the Jacobs do not attack turrets. I only meant to say that it is OK to sacrifice a turret here and there, just try to make it a dampner. With the theory that while bursters are focused on destroying a low cost turret, this provides valuable seconds for you to take care of the jacobs before an expensive turret is in danger.

Heck yea! I even upgrade the dampener they're gonna smash! I figure that maybe that'll slow em down just a teensy bit more before the dampener is gone..plus after 2-3 hits, the upgrade saves it from getting smashed. 40-60 scrap lost is way better than 144-360 scrap lost. In a half hour from this post roughly I will be playing for the weekly!

My live ran out on the 360. Moved to another country, haven't found a job yet, massive debt....stuck doing this solo for now. I'm trying to figure out a way to dampen nearly the entire map on swamp. I've been really keen on putting the dampener closest to bridge conduit on the ramp within the tree next to the bridge and putting one right after the shredder on the corner on the left of the ramp you cut through to blue path on at the bottom of the bridge. Also noticed its really good habit to make a batch of mines at the spawn 1/4 of the way then make a batch of mines with a dampener at the base 1/4 of the way. After that its mainly about building archies and maintaining shredders. I got way too cocky my last run and had 80 on blue 99 on green (base health) in the 60's and didn't think i'd need to shoot the willy b/c i was holding him while he got shredded...it was a willy train and the first willy got bumped off me and base health went from 80 to 30 in one wave.....the really funny part was 1 jacob was keeping 5 amps alive for a dozen waves at least and a willy was stuck behind the amp that was just chillin on the ramp for at least 3 waves. never seen that happen before...willy usually just shoves everything out of his way.

Swamp without snipers. Solo. COMPLETED. Green base = 30, Blue base = 45'ish. Loadout: Selker I with 2 Fiestas. Emplacements: Super Shredder, Dampener, Massive mines, and Archies. I wanted to record final wave, but I didn't set up a program I was gonna use correctly. Final wave was a willy train and 2 amps with a few jacobs all out of bridge spawn. It was friggin' scary. I've been experimenting the past few days with different dampener layouts. I got inspired by the hospital 3-1-3 setup and tried similar with the bridge....putting a dampener at each end on the left side of the bridge and a dampener on the center column on the right. On the left of the bridge in front of the center of the ramp, in the water I put a dampener. Go down the path to blue, on the wood deck in front of the white tanker at the bend, I put a dampener there. In front of green, right in front of the ship, I built a dampener into the floor/wall (where the floor drops down directly in front of green, build at the corner and let the marker become non-visible, but still light up white). Pretty much had mines going all the way from spawn to base (on the water path to green I started mining under the bridge, then towards base....bridge path was mined bridge first with mines hugging the shredders, then mined the spawn...blue was done from spawn to a few sets past the bridge, then the base, and filled in the center later on), shredders around the mines, and archies behind the shredders. I didn't even go out of the map! I spent months working on this. I got close with friends. I finally beat 'swamp without snipers'!

Sign in to follow this