Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JediJedah

Swamp without snipers????

Congratulations!

That sounds inspiring, I think I know with which experiment I will loose time next,

when it's a slow day again, and there's no one to find for a multiplayer game. Cheers!

Congratulations!

That sounds inspiring, I think I know with which experiment I will loose time next,

when it's a slow day again, and there's no one to find for a multiplayer game. Cheers!

Thankyou! If you play with the intent to achieve what seems impossible...this game never gets old. I wish I had money to renew my live account...I miss playing online so freakin much...

I'm not alone anymore! A fellow trenchman w/ gamertag something like XxMonoxidexChildxX ...idk how he does his x's...has solo'd swamp without snipers to completion! He did this a couple weeks ago...told me blue base was almost destroyed, but he pulled through. Who's next?

Ah, don't tempt me man, I'm playing way too much Iron Brigade over the last weeks again. Wait, did I say something

like 'too much' and Iron Brigade in one sentence? Oh, well, I guess now there's no way around it. I shall fail miserable

a fair amount of times and when the stars are right, maybe I will bring a message from the PC front, that the swamps

have been tackled without snipers!

I think this has already been touched upon but I remember back when I was playing this obsessively I did a lot of testing with the archies vs other anti aircraft turrets for their effectiveness against the volt dropper and the archie is less than half as effective against the Volt Droppers as the Iron Clad Flak turret.

The archies have one purpose which they excel at which is taking out swarms of fliers that are close together. Against single targets such as the VD they just don't have the damage output that the ICF does. Of course neither work as well as sniper turrets but the challenge here is doing swamp without them.

I have tried this challenge before and failed. I made it into the 70s if I remember correctly. There are viable replacements for sniper turrets against ground targets but their just aren't any anti air turrets that can really pull it off against volt droppers and although you can swat volt droppers yourself at the lower levels they just have too many hit points take out once you are at higher levels. Even a Karslon decked out with nothing but Hyper Snipers and Fiestas blasting the VD and never missing won't be able to kill it in time once you are up in the 90s. At those higher levels, killing the VD will come down to your turrets.

As for the debate between the Albert and Fiestas... it comes down to play style, situation and map size. I personally like the Fiestas more if I am playing solo on swamp simple for their damage output. On larger maps I prefer Albert since all that extra damage the Fiestas do is worthless if the enemy is out of range half the time.

For the purpose of killing the VD and taking no other situation into account, hyper snipers are probably the best option or a combination of hyper snipers and fiestas if you have a trench with an odd number of slots on it. Fiestas simply don't have the range to hit the VD during the course of its entire loop and the Albert and other snipers have lower DPS than the hyper sniper. Personally, while I was attempting solo runs on swamp I used Fiestas. The map is small enough that their lesser range isn't as big an issue.

I think this has already been touched upon but I remember back when I was playing this obsessively I did a lot of testing with the archies vs other anti aircraft turrets for their effectiveness against the volt dropper and the archie is less than half as effective against the Volt Droppers as the Iron Clad Flak turret.

The archies have one purpose which they excel at which is taking out swarms of fliers that are close together. Against single targets such as the VD they just don't have the damage output that the ICF does. Of course neither work as well as sniper turrets but the challenge here is doing swamp without them.

I have tried this challenge before and failed. I made it into the 70s if I remember correctly. There are viable replacements for sniper turrets against ground targets but their just aren't any anti air turrets that can really pull it off against volt droppers and although you can swat volt droppers yourself at the lower levels they just have too many hit points take out once you are at higher levels. Even a Karslon decked out with nothing but Hyper Snipers and Fiestas blasting the VD and never missing won't be able to kill it in time once you are up in the 90s. At those higher levels, killing the VD will come down to your turrets.

As for the debate between the Albert and Fiestas... it comes down to play style, situation and map size. I personally like the Fiestas more if I am playing solo on swamp simple for their damage output. On larger maps I prefer Albert since all that extra damage the Fiestas do is worthless if the enemy is out of range half the time.

For the purpose of killing the VD and taking no other situation into account, hyper snipers are probably the best option or a combination of hyper snipers and fiestas if you have a trench with an odd number of slots on it. Fiestas simply don't have the range to hit the VD during the course of its entire loop and the Albert and other snipers have lower DPS than the hyper sniper. Personally, while I was attempting solo runs on swamp I used Fiestas. The map is small enough that their lesser range isn't as big an issue.

Lots of input...interesting...

Archies rock if you use them properly. Range is crap, considering the slow flight speed of the rockets...but when maxed out, they do 108 damage, I believe. Which is like a fiesta per rocket. Ironclad flak work really well when a target is in range for a prolonged period of time, but when its only for a couple seconds, it will only be 50-60 damage, compared to that 108. Certain spots on swamp and on settlement tag the vault really well, whilst others ironclad would hit when archies wouldn't. For instance, on the shelf in front of green and to the right of it in a straight line...archies don't work there for the vault, but ironclad does. Up high on the back wall where you go out of the map by blue...you can put 3 archies up there and max them out....and they pound on the vault since the vault flies so close to that point. At green, if you have 4 archies maxed out at the bottom right corner of the ramp going up to the building in front of green (keeping all the archies on the ground and not on the ramp) they will take out the vault and you won't have to shoot at it for a while....that won't work with ironclad. Meanwhile archies would be useless on the top part of the building where that ramp is due to rocket speed and vault flight path, but ironclad gets a lotta shots in. Heres a list for archie placing....

Archies on top of the buildings by blue hit the vault, but you can't upgrade them...do that later when you don't know where else to put them. On the ground by those buildings, they do not. Behind blue, archies hit the vault. Up on the wall to the left of blue and 1 mmmaaayyyybeeee 2 rows out, they hit the vault. On the right of green, its hit and miss...sometimes they hit, sometimes they don't....fill it ALL in. The square above the water...archie hits. Around the bottom right corner and most of the platform in the back by green the vault gets hit. On the building in front of green, I believe the lower sections are worth placing turrets, but up top its pointless other than aerials. You can put 2 archies on the poles at the green building and I think that works. Have a couple archies after the shredders in the trees by bridge conduit and in the trees and on the mountain under aerial spawn...aerials are a big hassle later on when they have a lot of health. In the center of the bridge, on the left side (never tried right) archies hit there. The big trees on blue path after the bridge, the one closer to the bridge, that one hits the vault. After the vault bombs green and returns to blue, archies at the beginning of the wall where the bend starts to peak will hit...better off putting shredders there in the long run, in my opinion. On the square block by the white columns above the water, archie hits there when vault hits blue. After the 70's theres pretty much nothing you can do against the vault. except shoot and shoot until it dies and hope it only hits blue and then hope it dies after hitting green. Its a constant struggle of deciding whether to invest in mines or archies. A good rule is to max out at least one archie every other wave at least. If you haven't had a vault in a while and you got a few hundred scrap...its a gamble when deciding on mines or archies. After wave 50, whenever you think you got enough emplacements out....you don't...have a lot of turrets maxed out by then...somewhere around 50's-60's theres a double vault wave and you better be ready for it. After 60's, it doesn't matter if bursts are breaking your stuff...you shoot those vaults. Turrets can be replaced, base health can't.

Next...I'm a HUGE fan of the albert, it is my favorite gun in the game...but the fiesta is a overall better weapon for tube shooting. Yes, the range is far, far less, but the dps is massively greater. The slug factor does give it decent range. On swamp you can shoot tubes almost at blue whilst standing on the bridge or shoot at water conduit when standing next to the building by green. When I play with snipers and I can goof around w/ a team, or when playing missions, I like to go woodruff with 2 alberts. The pierce makes up for the dps, in my opinion. Line 'em up and hit 3 at once and so forth. Being able to pick off jakobs hiding in the middle of burst transmitters or not needing someone else to shoot the jakobs off you when holding a big willy at bay....joy.

When I solo'd hospital w/out snipers...I used an albert on a honeychurch. If the vault had swamp/settlement health, that wouldn't have worked (especially considering my anti-air turret was super shredders). You can shoot a heck of a lot further, but the reload is horrible on the albert. If you're in the water by the orange decoy or up on top by green decoy on settlement, you can get 6-9 shots in (after 4-5 shots, run to the intersection if you're by orange decoy). Twice the damage, and more time to fire compensates for distance when figuring 4 shots w/ the albert is 2 w/ the fiestas...reloading...meanwhile the fiestas have 4 more shots left before reload...and reload is 1/3 less time.

I know some of my archie rant is a replay of stuff I already said, but trying it out in the field validates what I'm jabbering on about. I've never been too wild about hyper snipers considering they don't have the pierce ability, but it is fun to hunker down w/ quick reload legs and use them....but not being able to run...well....no way. Running is as mandatory as dampeners. A few days ago, I completed swamp w/out going down once for the first time. I want to solo swamp w/ a selker using mines and snipers. I met someone through a friend thats done it...I've only gotten to the 80's when I've tried so far.

Sign in to follow this