Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

DFA Series Subtitle Initiative! [BETA]

Well it will be as professional as fans can make it..

Define "professional". ;-) I don't really think such a distinction -- professional vs. non-professional -- has much validity anymore unless you venture into the realm of specialized technical language, archaic language etc. I'm not saying that there aren't differences between fan translators' capabilities, but if I were to draw a conclusion from (also my own) Japanese fansubbing and translating of light novels it'd be that "professional" translations can often be pretty weak whereas fans' translations tend to be more accurate and true to the original text.

Well, that's my impression, at least.

Define "professional". ;-) I don't really think such a distinction -- professional vs. non-professional -- has much validity anymore unless you venture into the realm of specialized technical language, archaic language etc. I'm not saying that there aren't differences between fan translators' capabilities, but if I were to draw a conclusion from (also my own) Japanese fansubbing and translating of light novels it'd be that "professional" translations can often be pretty weak whereas fans' translations tend to be more accurate and true to the original text.

Well, that's my impression, at least.

There is no rule, really.

There are some brilliant professionals and some fans who do a poor job (because enthusiasm is not always enough), and of course, the other way around, some fans are really good and some profesionals don't do their job with passion.

But I also know some professionals who are fans too. :-)

Why I didn't see this post earlier? I would like to help with french subtitles !

My pseudo is the same one than here: elwoodblues

You haven't missed any of the action yet! Glad to have some support for French.

Hi, I'd love to help with the Italian subs.

My Amara username is Kalavinka.

(As a side note, it's kind of messed up that the Italian version of the Amara site is so badly translated that I can hardly find my way around it >:/ )

(As a side note, it's kind of messed up that the Italian version of the Amara site is so badly translated that I can hardly find my way around it >:/ )

Great, another Italian! :D

It's true, the amara's website is badly translated, some parts are in italian, others in spanish, others in english... a Babel's Tower!

I'm also guessing you love NBC's Community, judging by your avatar.

I laughed pretty hard at Amara's italian translation, it's really weird.

Benvenuto anche a te :)

Hey guys, we finally got things sorted! I'll be rolling the subs back out today and adding new people to the respective languages. Of course we managed to find some new problems Amara had never encountered before and it took some time to work them out. Things like that are why i'm calling this a Beta test. The plan is to have the bugs worked out before we mention the subtitles in the next Kickstarter backer update and have a huge new influx of people using the service.

The unfortunate part of all this is some initial translation work by the backers was lost, and for that i'm truly and deeply sorry. I'm grateful to all of you guys for helping out with this and it felt horrible to see some of your work lost. Thankfully it seems like the problems have been sorted out and we have some new things in place to protect the data moving forward. I was also able to recover the Polish translation which at the time was the only language that had made it to 100% complete.

The videos are in the process of being moved back into the team on Amara and i'll be adding all the submissions i've received onto the team throughout the day.

Thanks again for all of your patience and enthusiasm on this everyone!

"Also a reminder to use the "select your languages" tab at the top of the screen and assign a language to your profile. This way i can start granting permissions to work on the translations! "

... waiting..not having any permissions. ;)

did need to change the confirmation email address under edit profile. (just a hint)

"Also a reminder to use the "select your languages" tab at the top of the screen and assign a language to your profile. This way i can start granting permissions to work on the translations! "

did need to change the confirmation email address under edit profile. (just a hint)

I just granted you permissions Martijn, let me know if it's working now. You should be able to create a new Dutch translation project on the video.

at the moment, when i go into my messages and select to start the task, the website holds on loading.

i will try again in a bit.

when i select the option to start the translation i get a popup stating.

"sorry these subititles are privately moderated" and then the screen closes.

OK, I'm now part of the team.

Let me know what is needed for French (proofreading of the first two episodes? Translation on ep3?) and I'll start tomorrow.

I think there is a syncing problem with the subtitles in episode 2, they are probably a couple of seconds too early ( at least the italian and the english versions )

when trying to start the translation i get the message "sorry these subtitles are privately moderated" does anybody know what to do?

when trying to start the translation i get the message "sorry these subtitles are privately moderated" does anybody know what to do?

Same here, even though permission was indeed granted.

For the time being I took the English subs and started writing a translation into a text file on my computer according to the time markings written in the English translation. Did the first two minutes so far. Fun and challenging.

Let me know when the site is functional.

Oh, and before I get really going with this: is there integrated support in Amara for right-to-left languages (like Hebrew)? It would be a real pain to deal with if not...

And is there support for dotted Hebrew letters? (Hebrew has optional dots and dashes around letters to act as vowels when the word is unclear as to how it's pronounced - which comes up sometimes, especially when translating names from another language, for example.) It's not crucial, but would help prevent confusion in certain cases.

I would probably find all of this out for myself when I'll get the chance to screw around with the actual tools, so don't sweat for the answers for now. Just get the site working. :)

Meanwhile, I'm doin' what needs to be done. So no rush.

I think there is a syncing problem with the subtitles in episode 2, they are probably a couple of seconds too early ( at least the italian and the english versions )

That one seems a bit off in general, don't worry about it though. We can correct the timing.

Same here, even though permission was indeed granted.

For the time being I took the English subs and started writing a translation into a text file on my computer according to the time markings written in the English translation. Did the first two minutes so far. Fun and challenging.

Let me know when the site is functional.

Oh, and before I get really going with this: is there integrated support in Amara for right-to-left languages (like Hebrew)? It would be a real pain to deal with if not...

And is there support for dotted Hebrew letters? (Hebrew has optional dots and dashes around letters to act as vowels when the word is unclear as to how it's pronounced - which comes up sometimes, especially when translating names from another language, for example.) It's not crucial, but would help prevent confusion in certain cases.

I would probably find all of this out for myself when I'll get the chance to screw around with the actual tools, so don't sweat for the answers for now. Just get the site working. :)

Meanwhile, I'm doin' what needs to be done. So no rush.

I think the permissions are fixed now, give it a shot. For some reason trying to assign tasks didn't work.

Give it a try now and let me know if it's working.

Languages so far-

Languages in Bold are 100% but can still be checked

English

Catalan

Danish

Dutch

Estonian

French

German

Greek

Hebrew

Italian

Japanese

Polish (ep1 only)

Portuguese

Portuguese, Brazilian

Spanish

Spanish, Argentinian

Spanish, Mexican

Spanish, Nicaraguan

Swedish

I'm having the same issue with not being able to edit the subtitles. I've looked in the member list and I see that I and a couple of other members are listed as "contributors" but the rest are listed as managers for a certain language. Is that maybe the reason to why we can't edit anything?

I just granted you permissions Martijn, let me know if it's working now. You should be able to create a new Dutch translation project on the video.

I'm anxious to look at the Dutch translation as well.

*EDIT: works and I'm starting the translation*

I'm having the same issue with not being able to edit the subtitles. I've looked in the member list and I see that I and a couple of other members are listed as "contributors" but the rest are listed as managers for a certain language. Is that maybe the reason to why we can't edit anything?

Try it now, had to give you permission.

Sign in to follow this