Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

DFA Series Subtitle Initiative! [BETA]

From my experience, subtitling is far from an easy task.

We started to work on the subtitle of Indie Game : The Movie three months prior to release.

But it ended up barely on time. And we hit crazy character encoding problem on release. Spent couple days to find out WTH happened.

BTW, Indie Game : The Movie is only 90 minutes long.

I know there is a huge amount of work to subtitle the film.

If it is too hard for 2PP to do subtitle and filming at the same time, I am happy with doing it after the filming is completed.

As long as more developers get to understand this documentary at the end of the day, I would be really happy.

So please give us an update, thank you very much.

Incredible, still no response from 2PP... Hey, we exist !

Because of the way threads in this sub forum are sorted, it's entirely possible that they just haven't noticed the posts in this thread. Might be a good idea to shoot one of them a PM to get their attention.

The PM box of Levering_2PP is full. I tried to contact another 2PP member but he said me that I should contact Levering_2PP... ;)

The PM box of Levering_2PP is full. I tried to contact another 2PP member but he said me that I should contact Levering_2PP... ;)

I wait for an answer for over three month. Is there no one on 2PP/doublefine who can give us an answer, why nothing happens?

Because of the way threads in this sub forum are sorted, it's entirely possible that they just haven't noticed the posts in this thread.

Since this is the first time I've ever seen this thread, I'd say this is entirely possible. Paul O. and I are headed back to San Francisco tomorrow. During the coming week, we will have a conversation w/ Paul L. about subtitles and one of us will come back here to give you an update on where we currently stand. It may or may not be the answer you want, but it will at least be an update.

Since this is the first time I've ever seen this thread, I'd say this is entirely possible. Paul O. and I are headed back to San Francisco tomorrow. During the coming week, we will have a conversation w/ Paul L. about subtitles and one of us will come back here to give you an update on where we currently stand. It may or may not be the answer you want, but it will at least be an update.

We're all really grateful for any updates at all you could get for us. I'm sure there are many here, myself included, who would be happy to take over administering the Amara group if the overhead of that has gotten to be too much for Levering_2PP

Hey everyone, so just a quick update after talking with the guys:

Before we can open this up to Backer-created translations through Amara, we need to create a master set of English subtitles. Although I'm sure this will be disappointing to some of you (especially those of you that would have happily volunteered time to create those English subtitles), we would prefer to produce those ourselves. To get the ball rolling, we will get our intern started them on the near future (eventually joining him ourselves shortly after this current round of shooting with the full 2PP team ends). Once we have the masters locked down, we can start looking into outsourcing the translations to you guys.

Thanks for your patience with this and your willingness to help those who share your native tongue enjoy this program to the fullest extent. I'll keep you posted on any developments.

woot! a reply! thanks asif. dong worry, this is exactly how paul had set it up for us back when this started. first the masters. then they get published on amara and unleashed to the translators. translators then report their progress back.

im glad that the work is not going to waste. each episode took me about 2-3 hours to translate in the first run, then a 1 hour check the day after so it gets checked with a clear head (at least that how it worked for me).

Yeah, it is a bit disappointing. They start something and then stop everything about it, without any word.

I even sent a PM to all the 2PP guys on the forums and didn't even get an answer...

Hey guys, very sorry for the severe drop in communication. To go as many months as you have without any updates from us is inexcusable, so I won't make any. What I will do is offer my sincere apology and make more of an effort to be here for you guys and field questions whenever I have the answers to them.

So, in a nutshell, here's where we stand on the subtitling / translation issue: Using Amara and opening it up to the group just isn't going to give us the quality control we want for the series after all. I know that's probably disheartening news to those of you that already created profiles and devoted several hours of work to the episodes we did put up, so please know that we really are very sorry about that. We don't like for our efforts to go to waste either.

To that end, we believe it's best to just wait until the documentary is complete before pursuing any official subtitling initiatives. A few weeks ago, we were actually introduced to a piece of transcription/translation software we like much better (InqScribe, for those of you that are curious) that made Amara more or less irrelevant. By the time we're ready to get this series subtitled and distributed out the Backers/General Public, there could be something else we like better. Furthermore, the series itself could undergo some minor edits between now and the end of the project and that would throw the timing off anything we were to do now. The point is: let's not get ahead of ourselves at this stage.

Things are kind of in flux right now because we're in the process of moving down to San Francisco (for those of you that don't know, 2 of the 3 of us currently live in another state and come down to Double Fine once a month for shooting), but in a few weeks we should be all settled and in a better place to attend to your questions on a more regular basis.

Thanks for understanding and again, very sorry for the extremely delayed response. We aren't giving up on the idea of making this documentary available to as many people as possible. We just want to make sure it's up to our standards.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sign in to follow this