Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 5: It's Gonna Get Hairy

Hate to be the stickler but he totally re-wired the Miyamoto quote. The original one was about saying a great game that gets delayed will eventually come out and be great while a bad game is bad forever. So technically it was arguing the opposite.

Best of luck though guys, I'm really appreciating the updates and I'm sure the final game will be both on time *and* great!

Really nice episode.. It feels so real, and as Tim said, - it's all happening so fast

This is the kind of videogame video documentation that I dont think has ever been documented before. So tense and full of artists that all want this to be the best thing ever, but within time and budget

EDIT: and if you want/need more time, just delay the thing and make us buy all your merchandise

The last episode was probably the most enjoyable in terms of content. But this episode was fantastic in showing the strains and conflicts caused by the development process. It was especially interesting to see Tim and Lee and Greg approaching roadblocks. I could see the dissapointment and frustration that Tim was feeling when he realised he wanted to see some really big changes, and then he was told that it would impossible/difficult. But I could also see how Greg and Lee were forced into the position of 'The Bearer of Bad News'. They were being realistic and Tim was being honest. They were all trying to help the project, Tim improving the content, Greg and Lee improving the result, but the clash of opinions is fascinating! Let's hope the final product has similar amounts of drama!

Who is the project lead? Seems like it's Tim, but then he seems to also be busy with general company business.

Bless multiple hats.

Tim is the project lead. And yeah, he's still in charge of the company as a whole also, but we now also have a business development guy and a product development director, which allows Tim to devote some more brain cycles to Reds-specific stuff.

EDIT: and if you want/need more time, just delay the thing and make us buy all your merchandise

This is iffy. I understand the creator's desire to finish it when it's done, but I respect the ability to stick to deadlines far more. Greg's comments and production notes touch on this. Delaying really just means expanding an existing schedule which affects everything else around DFA.

I was going to say that it's relatively early and schedule changes are possible when it's early, but they're in production. I wonder when Alpha is scheduled?

I gasped so hard when Pete McConnell's name came up. Glad to see he's on the project, I love his music!

And wow, that last part was really intense.

Heeey, is that computer on the right at 13:06 running Ubuntu? :o

I loved this video. I know this lost and confused "it works - now what?" feeling far too well, but I really have no idea how to deal with it. It was really interesting to see how you do.

This is iffy. I understand the creator's desire to finish it when it's done, but I respect the ability to stick to deadlines far more. Greg's comments and production notes touch on this. Delaying really just means expanding an existing schedule which affects everything else around DFA.

I was going to say that it's relatively early and schedule changes are possible when it's early, but they're in production. I wonder when Alpha is scheduled?

On one of the boards in the video it had Alpha under February I believe?

Smurfin' great episode btw! :P

The quality of how the episodes are put together is rising with each episode. Especially four and five gave me a great feeling what's going on and some level of depth on the topics talked about. (i thought the first episodes were a bit rushing through topics)

Keep it up 2Player Productions!

Wow, great episode but its so scary! We've just got some funding to start developing our own P&C adventure game (sorry sneaky plug http://www.facebook.com/ShipAntics please "like" our page and wish us luck!) This episode has really shown how much hard work is ahead of us but no going back now GULP!!!

Can't wait for the next episode!!!

Stuff definitely got real. Best of luck to all you guys as you push forward!

Also, that cake-girl rig and animation was looking pretty sweet! Pun not intended, but I guess it can be. :D

If you're looking for a good way to switch between the boy and girl, you should try Kingdom Hearts birth by sleep and Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop to see 2 ways you SHOULDN'T do it. Birth By Sleep's method makes it feel like you're playing the same game 3 times instead of playing 1 cohesive game. Meanwhile Dream Drop Distance's "Drop" feature causes you to be forced into changing characters at times you would rather keep playing that story. I don't have the answer for a solution that doesn't feel like it is disconnecting the stories or the experience.

Knowing that there's a two-month lag between the documentary and reality makes the end seem cliffhangery somehow. Has the Reds team managed to stay on schedule with their sanity and friendship intact?!

I said about the fourth episode and the ones before them that they were sort of "feel-good", and this one certainly broke the trend. It feels really weird to be (admittedly) enjoying seeing the drama unfold while knowing that this is all happening to real people that you also wish the best for. This is one reason I really don't care much for reality TV.

More generally, though, I'm enjoying the in-depth look at the game production process we've been seeing so far. I wish everyone could watch and learn from it. Way too many people on the internet have really strange ideas of how games get made, and seem to think it's so simple and straightforward. If I had a penny for every time developers got called "lazy" for not putting in this or that feature...

Lovely episode. The guys at Discovery should move over, no need for terrible guitar-music to accentuate the drama here. Anyway: The puzzle numbers go quite high. Are the puzzles and storyboard that far ahead already at this point (in July, not now)?

Tense alright, but is it always like this on all projects?.

I can only imagine how it would be like with 400.000$.

Makes you wonder how long it took to come up with the crazy universe and ideas and such for Sam & max, Day of the tentacle, Monkey island games.

It might even be worse to have a bigger team, i imagine things can snowball pretty quickly if you have a team of 200-300 people on a game.

Makes me wonder how lots of these indie companies do it, but i would imagine its a lot of free time and such.

When people finally get the opportunity to play this game, they're going to have such an appreciation for all of the work that goes into it.

Also, I'm more and more stoked about this game all the time.

Tense alright, but is it always like this on all projects?.

I can only imagine how it would be like with 400.000$.

Makes you wonder how long it took to come up with the crazy universe and ideas and such for Sam & max, Day of the tentacle, Monkey island games.

It might even be worse to have a bigger team, i imagine things can snowball pretty quickly if you have a team of 200-300 people on a game.

Makes me wonder how lots of these indie companies do it, but i would imagine its a lot of free time and such.

We're purely spare time, and when we're that, in a way it's a luxury. We don't have nearly as much time as we want to make games, but if one weekend we decide we want to do a jam instead of our current game project (like we did last week with the Adventure Time jam) we can easily do that, because we don't have a strict schedule to worry about and it doesn't matter if things slip or get moved around. For indies who are trying to live off their creations it gets a lot harder, because then they have to think about what they can make and sell and how much time they have to do that, often they bolster that by being commissioned by companies for projects, and it becomes much more of a compromise between what you want to do, and what you have to do to survive. I think most manage to stay on the right side of that compromise, though.

Awesome episode, as soon as I saw him knocking on the door, I said "Now who's this cool mofo" *Peter McConnell* "Awww yeah, he's in the house!", can't wait to hear what he comes up with, I'm curious, do us backers get to hear any unused demo mixes of tracks he might make up and decide to not use? That would be one for the collectors and really something to get a great insight on.

Also, Lee looked close to breaking point at one point in the video, you're doing a great job dude, don't worry.

Best episode so far, but also the most scary. Looking forward to watching the rest of the roller coaster. Great job, TPP.

Great episode though a bit short. :P

So I'm sure you've solved the production problems on display in this episode, but was there any thought given to make the girl's side of the story the Bagel-designed worlds and Bagel actually doing the art himself while the boy's side was Bagel-inspired but art by someone else? I was just thinking that would be a way to keep the two worlds similar but distinct in order to reduce Bagel's workload.

Or I'm crazy and that's a stupid idea.

Probably the latter.

Considering I don't know the story Tim's trying to tell.

:P

Maybe that was already been asked, but when the hd download for the episodes will be available ?

Don't beat me up, or at least do it with DF goodies and games, but i was absent for a long time, and have a lot to catch up.

This video really underscores how stressful budget concerns can make any project. Hopefully your conviction still holds that being answerable to Kickstarter backers is preferable to being answerable to a publisher. A lot of backer comments make we wonder if we the fans can't be just as demanding (and in some case, arbitrary) as any publisher.

Lee, I could sense your frustration during that one meeting. I think it's good, though, that you're honest and up-front about what the risk areas are. It might make you sound like a "NO" person, to the annoyance of some, but it's better that someone draw the line than to let mission creep put the whole project at risk. So kudos for being candid, and keep doing what you're doing.

Greg... you and I wear the same Casio watch! High five! There's nothing like having a stopwatch AND a calculator right on your wrist at all times.

Now we're really starting to see the game take shape. That's what I've been waiting for these last few months, that you guys are heading into production proper. Can't wait to see more of what's to come.

Maybe that was already been asked, but when the hd download for the episodes will be available ?

Don't beat me up, or at least do it with DF goodies and games, but i was absent for a long time, and have a lot to catch up.

They'll be available at the end, when 2PP has finished all the episodes.

I'd been feeling stressed, so thought I'd relax and watch the latest DFA video to chill out.

Boy, was I in for a shock.

Now I'm more stressed out than ever!

Thanks so much for showing all the joy and pain you guys are going through. It's nice to know that even the gaming gods suffer the way us mere mortals do too.

Sign in to follow this