Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 5: It's Gonna Get Hairy

I'd been feeling stressed, so thought I'd relax and watch the latest DFA video to chill out.

Boy, was I in for a shock.

Now I'm more stressed out than ever!

Thanks so much for showing all the joy and pain you guys are going through. It's nice to know that even the gaming gods suffer the way us mere mortals do too.

I had the exact same experience! Still, it shows the artistic integrity from 2PP to not sugarcoat the documentary. I really appreciate it as a viewer.

And you know, it will make the successes and accomplishments later on have that much more impact. I can't wait!

Maybe that was already been asked, but when the hd download for the episodes will be available ?

Don't beat me up, or at least do it with DF goodies and games, but i was absent for a long time, and have a lot to catch up.

They'll be available at the end, when 2PP has finished all the episodes.

Ok thanks ;)

So is Peter McConnell the one that did the music for Brutal Legend? Cause I REALLY LOVE the music. I don't mean the license tracks either.

Here's something you might add to the episode notes:

The quote by Miyamoto (21:55) is "A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever."

Great episode DF folks. The sausage making part of games can be hard but it does get better. Great to see it captured on video.

Woah, intense but great update (especially in comparison to the cheery previous videos). Now I'm really anticipating the next update!

This episode marks a crucial moment in the development of the game as we move from pre-production and planning into true production, with all of the trials and tribulations that brings:

Great episode!

I imagine that striking the balance between getting things done and having noteworthiness beyond a well paced production schedule is something that troubles every project that Doulbe Fine has been involved with, so it seems that the part of the sausage making process shown in this episode is probably a normal hurdle. That said, my heart goes out to every disappointed and worried face. I hope that the backer community's enthusiasm is helping to make things more bearable as the hairiness sets in.

Since budget restrictions seem to be the focus of the episode, I'm curious to know whether things feel more or less flexible compared to working with a publisher. Are there opportunities to pitch an awesome feature in the hopes of raising more money that aren't available to this project, or is that sort of thing fairly unheard of with publisher funded projects?

Are other additional funding options being considered for this project to help facilitate the stuff that currently seems in question? Would it go against the idea behind the project to rely on something more than Kickstarter/slacker backer pledges?

Also, great cameo, Chris :D

This entire DOC is so inspiring and motivating. DF keeps it real through and through. That said my Dutch Apple Pie is ready, red bull to keep the eye lids perked open as I take in every bit of what these guys and girl(s) do.

Thank you DF... Yours truly Slacker Backer Pixelboi lol..

Great stuff as always, 2PP. Fun pills and sleds for those working on the Reds, you might need 'em.

Keep up the great work.

Smiles

Damn all you people with pizza and tea and slippers... the work day is just starting here!

Something to look forward to at the end of the day, anyway :)

Yeees! I love these SO MUCH. I could watch these and the penny arcade documentaries non stop for ever. Not sure why, but they just completely mesmerize me. I feel like a toppled fish when watching them. Soooooothing.

Have you guys considered this episodically? I mean being a downloadable type of game it seems that's been a more practical solution for many developers, and after releasing act 1 or whatever you could gauge whether or not the people who gave money were the only people that would buy this game or if it will be more profitable than that, before you budget out the next two acts. I'm sure some someone has mentioned the idea though

Another great ep. I want you to know that any new news from double fine is the only thing that will peel me away from Guild Wars 2. Lol

To quote Bad Boys 2, "Sh*t just got real."

Did I interpret the video correctly that much of Peter Chan's conceptual designs won't be used for the game, and they're going to rely more on Bagel for the art design?

I actually wasn't sure after the previous episode how Bagel and Peter's work would be integrated into the game, or if they were each sort of "competing" to see whose art would be "chosen".

Am I misunderstanding this?

This video really underscores how stressful budget concerns can make any project. Hopefully your conviction still holds that being answerable to Kickstarter backers is preferable to being answerable to a publisher. A lot of backer comments make we wonder if we the fans can't be just as demanding (and in some case, arbitrary) as any publisher.

I've worried about that while reading some threads. And we haven't even reached the part where things start landing on the cutting room floor and corners need to be filed off. In the end, though, the project doesn't get funding added or cut depending on how pleased we are, so I guess the worst that can happen is that hurtful comments get made.

But I've yet to see anyone accusing Tim of scamming the backers so far, making this remain the single most successful Kickstarter project I've ever seen.

Another great episode!

Hope there's a way to save the other girls...it's a little thing but it always makes me feel bad when I just have to watch that sort of thing happen in a game. vOv

I love that the guy who says things are "gonna get hairy" is one of the only folks in the episode without magnificent and stupendous facial hair.

This video really underscores how stressful budget concerns can make any project. Hopefully your conviction still holds that being answerable to Kickstarter backers is preferable to being answerable to a publisher. A lot of backer comments make we wonder if we the fans can't be just as demanding (and in some case, arbitrary) as any publisher.

I've worried about that while reading some threads. And we haven't even reached the part where things start landing on the cutting room floor and corners need to be filed off. In the end, though, the project doesn't get funding added or cut depending on how pleased we are, so I guess the worst that can happen is that hurtful comments get made.

But I've yet to see anyone accusing Tim of scamming the backers so far, making this remain the single most successful Kickstarter project I've ever seen.

Don't think anyone called the FTL guys scammers.

Time is running short? Well, Tim certainly speaks faster with every episode, but on the flip side, Anna continuously looks prettier too! (This is a compliment. Tell her, Chris.)

That aside, I think I'm glad there's an attempt to have it less smurfy. Nothing against Smurfs, but I'm not sure I want that impression in the game.

What Tim says at around 5:35 immediately made me think of Game Dev Story on the iPhone/iPad... ... Tim, have you played Game Dev Story? Pump some points into creativity!!!

Sign in to follow this