Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 5: It's Gonna Get Hairy

Great episode :]

Unfortunately the reality has to set in eventually, and I'm a bit worried that you'll start overworking yourselves :/

One thing I'm wondering: do you hand gout with people from other game companies considering SF is swarming with game dev studios?

Keep on pushing, Double Fine! All of us fans will be cheering you on until the end!

I wish I had donated even more! I wonder- if they open up the rewards again..

I have no doubt that this game will be outstanding. It doesn't even need to be bug free, as they can patch it as freely as need be since it will be released on Steam versus a proprietary platform that charges per release.

That hurt just to watch. I know game development can be painful, but I'm just a backer and I'm freaking out.

No, I think Peter works freelance. The last day for him was just what they had budgeted for his time on the project (concept art).

To quote Bad Boys 2, "Sh*t just got real."

Did I interpret the video correctly that much of Peter Chan's conceptual designs won't be used for the game, and they're going to rely more on Bagel for the art design?

I actually wasn't sure after the previous episode how Bagel and Peter's work would be integrated into the game, or if they were each sort of "competing" to see whose art would be "chosen".

Am I misunderstanding this?

We have all of the artists do concept art, and then pick and choose the ideas we like from all the drawings and merge them together as the actual production art for the game is created. So the ideas from several of Peter's drawings have already been used and incorporated into the game, as have the others. The artists are not competing as much as they are contributing to a collaborative work. Does that make sense?

No, I think Peter works freelance. The last day for him was just what they had budgeted for his time on the project (concept art).

Correct! We had a certain amount of money set aside for "Peter Time," and we used it!

pretty frustrating that we're 2 and a half months out of the loop, especially since this episode was mostly bad news

I wish these episodes would come out quicker

edit: well not exactly bad news, but everyone was worried and stressed the whole episode like things weren't going too well

pretty frustrating that we're 2 and a half months out of the loop, especially since this episode was mostly bad news

edit: well not exactly bad news, but everyone was worried and stressed the whole episode like things weren't going too well

That actually not quite right. The footage for this episode spans the course of a month. So while some of he earlier stuff is around 2 months old, it does run up to about a month ago. Fear not though, we got things handled!

Best episode yet! Very interesting to get a look at how the artists, animators, and programming side all interact. I hope it's not too painful for you guys to work under such a tight schedule and budget. I know you're probably used to budgets 2x what was allocated for this game! Keep up the good work. With all these amazing and talented people working so hard I have no worries that a great game will come out.

One thing I can say is.. TAKE MORE OF MY MONEY! Who's with me? (is this possible?)

Another fantastic episode though, not only am I enjoying seeing the process but its also acting as the best hype-inducing marketing material I have ever seen, I could not be looking forward to something more.

To quote Bad Boys 2, "Sh*t just got real."

Did I interpret the video correctly that much of Peter Chan's conceptual designs won't be used for the game, and they're going to rely more on Bagel for the art design?

I actually wasn't sure after the previous episode how Bagel and Peter's work would be integrated into the game, or if they were each sort of "competing" to see whose art would be "chosen".

Am I misunderstanding this?

We have all of the artists do concept art, and then pick and choose the ideas we like from all the drawings and merge them together as the actual production art for the game is created. So the ideas from several of Peter's drawings have already been used and incorporated into the game, as have the others. The artists are not competing as much as they are contributing to a collaborative work. Does that make sense?

Absolutely makes sense, thanks for responding and clarifying! Competing maybe wasn't the right word to use. I can see how multiple artists contribute to the overall scope of a project like this, and the weight of the individual contributions may vary based on a varity of factors. But if one artist's work serves as a thematic backdrop or guide, other artists still contribute significantly to the overall design.

Really interesting stuff! This episode was also quite eye-opening regarding the difficulty in making critical decisions.

i get into work, i look at my emails, and now i have to listen to the episode 5 times before lunch when i can watch it!

if i get in trouble for using bandwidth then 2pp are going to take the blame!

I don't like mushrooms either :(

But the art looks cool nevertheless.

Now I'm worried and anxious. You are playing with our hearts :(

I feel that the whole smurfs thing won't even be an issue if you consider a different color scheme. The Smurfs are very colorful and bright cartoons/comics. If DF were to use a more toned down way of coloring, the mushroom shapes would not even matter imho...

From what we've seen, DF is already using a more subtle and refined way of texturing/coloring to fit the Bagel art style, so I think the mushroom level would not look anything like the smurfs when finished...

Just sharing my personal opinion though...

That actually not quite right. The footage for this episode spans the course of a month. So while some of he earlier stuff is around 2 months old, it does run up to about a month ago. Fear not though, we got things handled!

Come on Greg, NO SPOILERS MAN! v_v

Until now this was building up to being an intense thriller with a growing rivalry between Lee and Tim - who would take control? Who would slay whom?

Now my palms are sweaty and my heart is racing. This was tense.

In fact, the only other place I saw this level of stress...

PZGyr.jpgvkSCi.jpg

I hope all the rest of your work will be a walk in the park! Take care and remember we are here because we love you all :)

Now my palms are sweaty and my heart is racing. This was tense.

In fact, the only other place I saw this level of stress...

PZGyr.jpgvkSCi.jpg

I hope all the rest of your work will be a walk in the park! Take care and remember we are here because we love you all :)

That is the scariest screenshot of anyone in DF I've seen. Even sitting here in the UK, and from the comfort of my computer chair, I get the feeling Greg's judging me and sizing up whether or not I will be allowed to live.

I'll be keeping that image for when someone posts something I don't like. Thanks.

I have aged a lot since I used to solve all the classic adventure games and I suppose my brain isn't what it used to be. Trying to watch these movies is a very tricky puzzle in its own. Somehow I've managed to watch the previous episodes but now I can't figure out how. Do I have to pay for a Vimeo Plus account to be able to watch now? Isn't being a DFA backer enough anymore?

I have aged a lot since I used to solve all the classic adventure games and I suppose my brain isn't what it used to be. Trying to watch these movies is a very tricky puzzle in its own. Somehow I've managed to watch the previous episodes but now I can't figure out how. Do I have to pay for a Vimeo Plus account to be able to watch now? Isn't being a DFA backer enough anymore?

Chcek out this thread http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/6745/ Strange you have problems just now. Did you change anything in your computer?

If you guys did an art book, I would buy it in a heart beat! Can't wait for the Brutal Legend one...But how about one for that other game, you know, the one with all the brains and telekinetic bears! My shelf is crying out for more Double Fine!.

Great episode! Really love this series!

Yes, by all means, come up with a few more backer options and give us an early crack at them. We'll gladly invest more money at this point from the looks of how things are going, I will anyways. Haven't enough people mentioned their sadness at not having pledged higher? I certainly understand it if the rewards have to be different, but I'm eager to give more (just too stingy to do it without at least a DF button to show for it! :P).

When you say you can't figure out how, do you mean you can't figure out where? You don't need Vimeo Plus or anything--the video is just embedded in the first post of this thread: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/7673/

If that's not what you mean, could you explain the problem you're having in more detail?

Sign in to follow this